“just what we expected!”

Ranked #45 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Ohio City, Ohio
“just what we expected!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We went to O.C. last week on short notice, found several rooms, some of which we have stayed before. We chose to stay at the beachcomber, we found the staff friendly and accomodating, The price was right, the room was clean, service was good. The room is a bit dated but so is grandma's house! had a great time, wanted balcony, pool and oceanside, for that price it was great, also had good cable TV even though the TV was a bit small and so was the bathroom but it was acceptable. had a great view of the Bay! I would stay there again, would be a little cramped for 4 people though unless they were little kids.! Overall we were very satisfied. Pool a bit small but big enough.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room by the pool!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beach_fans801

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just spent four days at the Beachcomber and it was great. Been going to OC for over 30 years and have been in many motels, low to high rates. Must say we were pleasantly surprised with the Beachcomber beings the rates were so low. The rooms were very spacious, very clean and beds were so comfy. Had a small kitchenette, a/c worked great and never ran out of hot water like most hotels. The pool was very clean and refreshing and only 1/2 block walk to the beach. The owners and cleaning staff were very nice and pleasant to deal with. I have been in very expensive hotels ranging 200-300 and this was by far a much cleaner and roomier hotel than those that were so expensive. I will continue to stay at the Beachcomber every visit to OC. No more hotel/motel searching for me. I've found the best in the area!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, never heard anything at all. This is a family oriented hotel with no lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Georgia P
new jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'll start by saying I am from NJ and familiar with the Jersey shore motel rooms that cost $200 a night and you usually share with the roaches!
When I saw the price of this motel per night ($130-$150) I thought that it would be something comparable to what I get in the Jersey shore. I wasn't looking for anything fancy.
This motel exceeded my expectations!!
We arrived early in the morning, not expecting to check in until 3pm, the directed time. I went to the front desk upon my arrival which was 9am. The front desk staff is extremely friendly! They offered me a parking pass, completed my paperwork in a timely manner and explained that the room was not ready yet but they would call me as soon as it was available.
We headed down to the beach which was within walking distance and relaxed on the beach for awhile. Front desk called around 1130am and said the room was ready. I was impressed with the service!
The rooms were decent. Very spacious. We had a king size bed and a double bed, even though I only asked for a king. There was a private balcony and a very small area with a stove, sink and microwave. The room also has a large dresser and closet and a small dining table. The negatives, the beds were hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom could use some updating, I had to hold up the drain in the sink to let the water go down.
The location was great. Right across the street from big peckers and bayside skillet (amazing crepes). Walking distance to Bj's on the bay. Within a few blocks of Seacrets. That was our main reason for our trip to OC and I was a little bummed that it was not as close as they had made it sound. Princess bayside is the hotel to stay in if you want to be within walking distance of Seacrets. If you are down for some sun, sand and drinks, great food and floating in the ocean this is a great place!! We had a blast and can't wait to return! Overall I recommend this motel. It's your basic beach motel with a great value and great location!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank littlemiss77
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was very leary considering the price. Most places in this price range in OC are dumps, but this was clean, the pool was great, good beach access and no problems with the staff. Would stay again. As I was once told some people like it some people don't :-)

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank theschumbers
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

These brothers go out of there way to make you feel welcome. we got there pretty early so we were worry we couldn't get our room until "check in time" but they had no problem with it so we were very happy! We spent 3 days there - the rooms were nice and clean the pool was clean couldn't get my daughter out of there! the beach is very close by. The location was good for us didn't want to be near the broadwalk or all that noise! We will Defiantly go back next year again, although the hubby is talking about going back again in August :)

Room Tip: There is very little ocean view rooms but who cares the beach is right there you can walk there and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Isabel M
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The staff is very friendly and nice. The room was clean and comfortable. Very close to the beach and no street to cross. Great price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Default724
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2011

When my friend from Florida comes to visit Maryland, we always make plans to vacation in Ocean City, MD. This is our 3rd year staying at the Beachcomber. The motel is not only affordable and convenient to the beach, it is also clean, spacious, and comfortable. It is also in easy walking distance to a few other establishments of interest, if you just don't want the headache of driving in the traffic on Coastal Highway for the day. The owners, Tom and John Berry, are very courteous when making reservations and at check-in. Their friend, Dave, is also very helpful, when he fills in for them. They always ask if there's anything we need and if we're having a nice time. They don't hesitate in giving us advice on where to dine and shop, if asked. We know the rules of the motel and abide by them. The pool is for the guests of the Beachcomber; not for everyone elses' guests. The pool is clean and spotless for their paying customers; not for your friends staying at other hotels and motels. If you have a complaint as to why your friends can't use the pool, use theirs instead!
While we were there, two young girls walked right from the beach to use the pool. John asked them if they were staying at the Beachcomber, (he suspected that they weren't.) They acted dumb and said, "Huh?" John asked them what room they were staying in, and the one girl looked at the other and said, "He wants to know what room we're staying in," as if the other girl didn't understand English. The friend said nothing, then they turned and walked away. That's beacause they weren't staying at the Beachcomber and tried to lie their way to the pool. They just wanted to cleanse themselves of sand in the Beachcomber pool and leave. Now how ignorant is that?? It makes you wonder what kind of parents they have?
Although the bathrooms are a bit small, they serve their purpose and are always very clean!! They have new shower curtains which are nice because they let in more light when showering. They used to have towel bars in the bathrooms, but because some parents don't know how to teach their children to respect other people's property, the towel bars were pulled out of the walls by those unruly children!!
Even though the Beachcomber faces Coastal Highway, there is an ocean VIEW from the upper floors off the elevator. AND YES, THEY HAVE AN ELEVATOR, WHICH IS GREAT!!!!
The cleaning staff is very friendly and accommodating, as well. Whatever you need, they will supply it for you every morning on their cleaning rounds. There is enough parking spots for registered guests, only!! So if you lie to the Berry's when making your reservations and they evict you for not abiding by their rules, then that's no one's fault but your own. And trust me, no one will miss you or care if you go and lie to others, somewhere else! The Berry's are doing their job and trying to make their motel comfortable for their REGISTERED guests. If that's not good enough for you trouble-makers, liars, and complainers, take a hike!!!!!!!
We will continue to stay at the Beachcomber each year. We love the place!!
Robin and Nancy

Room Tip: To see the ocean view, reserve rooms on the 4th and 5th floors.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends