“GREAT”

Beachcomber Motel
Ranked #48 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“GREAT”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We just came home from Ocean City MD and we didnt make any plans to stay anywhere... My husband stopped at another location to which it was a condo... The lady inside gave us this number to this hotel and said her friend owned it so we called First they were VERY nice and held the room just to see if we liked it! We did and we stayed there for 2days! Second the guy at the front desk seen us a number of times and didnt even forget who we were it was like you were family or been there hundreds of times, he would talk to us and our child... Third they always asked if we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could help with! This may have been our 1st trip to OC but its the 1st of many and WE WILL STAY HERE!...

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank alk79

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had an unexpected change of plans and although VERY familiar with Ocean City, our usual place fell through. So, at midnight on 7/29, we were left wandering up and down coastal highway looking for accommodations.

Several of the places we stopped were in the $200 range. We negotiated a rate of $145 + taxes per night for a queen/king kitchenette combo. The room was clean, though sparse. It's not the most recent decorating theme - but servicable since we had 5 people in the room (2 adults, 3 kids) and needed beds to accommodate us all.

The bathroom wasn't the absolute cleanest - but this was acceptable and as I said, it is not a dump... There's a balcony that overlooks coastal highway - this place sits on 75th street ocean block/the corner so it's a decent walk to the beach. There is adequate parking (1 space per room), an elevator, and exterior walk-up entrances that afford privacy since the windows all face in the opposite direction.

Although we didn't have our pet with us, I think I read somewhere that pets were allowed, too. I would definitely stay here again, if I needed a room. The check in/check out was efficient and pleasant. Couldn't really ask for more considering we were desperate and on a budget.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie21037
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My sister and I booked a room at the Beachcomber for the two of us in late July 2011. The price was right and the room was also acceptable and spacious. We are two senior women. We were treated nicely during check in. But gentleman who checked us in told us he was not actually a member of the staff. He was just helping out.

On day two we invited my daughter (whose family was staying at a condo one block away)and her three children to come to the pool for a swim. We were the only people at the pool and it was very nice (but small). My sister go out of the pool and was approached through the fence by a man in sunglasses. He asked her "what room are you staying in." She asked him who he was and why he was asking for her room number (considering the security issues). He said he was the owner and pointed to the Beachcomber logo on his shirt. He then asked her how many people were staying in our room. She responded "two." He said to her "you have two people registered, but you take 8, 9 10 people to the pool". (We had 4 additional people with us). Then he began going through a recital of how people register and bring back more people to stay in the room and steal things from the rooms. This simply was not what we had done--my daughter had her own place to stay. I came up to the fence and asked what was wrong. He then said the same thing to me about additional people staying in the rooms and stealing things. I responded if my daughter and grandchildren were not allowed in the pool, we would leave. He said that was not the point and went on again about how people bring more people than are registered and steal from the rooms (he would stop bringing this up, even though we were the only people staying in the room). This was completely insulting, as we are honest people and there was nothing of value in the room to steal (no shampoo, lotion, or coffee (usually provided by most motels). We got our things together and left the pool (we were there less than 45 minutes).

This situation made us very uncomfortable the remainder of our stay. I felt they were watching us closely and we felt threatened by that man and others in the office (all men). We kept the deadbolt on during the night, but took all valuables with us when we went out of the room. I would never recommend the Beachcomber to anyone, ever. The staff does not know how to treat their paying customers by accusing them of things they are not guilty of.

As I said, I am a senior citizen and have never been treated with such lack of respect or suspicision at any hotel/motel in my life. The person who confronted us at the pool area had no people skills and handled this situation poorly. As I said before, I felt uneasy, unsafe and uncomfortable the rest of our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank kt266
Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My friend, her 6 year old grandson and I stayed there for 2 nights last week and loved it. We chose it after internet researching (including the reviews here) based on location, access to the beach without having to cross streets, the elevator, the cost and their website with floor plan and virtual tours (and we got what we saw.) The staff were very nice and helpful; the room was large and clean; the bathroom was small but I'd rather have a smaller bathroom and a larger living space anyway. Having the refrigerator and microwave and dishes and such saved us money on meals. The also supplied dish soap and cloth and towel. We enjoyed spending some time in/by the outside pool also but the main attraction was being so close to the beach. We did not miss the fancy niceties provided by the expensive hotels. I cannot remember if they provided shampoo (don't think so) but I always bring my own anyway. They did supply soap. We are already making plans to come back and stay 3 nights instead of 2 with her grandson. I am seriously considering taking advantage of their end of season special myself for a solo trip. A great bargain.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank rosej100
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The people at the Beachcomber were SO helpful to us last weekend. The room was very spacious, and all of the accommodations were both clean and comfortable. The staff were approachable and helped us with several issues. I had taken a tumble the night before, and they gave me full access to a medical cabinet with all kinds of stuff - saving me a trip to the pharmacy. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank fsavill
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Nice, clean motel. Attentive and friendly staff. The pool was the cleanest I've ever seen at the beach. Good location, oceanblock. Only a short 1/2 block walk to the beach, no streets to cross, which was wonderful as we were traveling with two small children. Elevator. Affordable rates. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Signature100
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute trip down to O.C. for the weekend and didn't want to spend more than 200 per night. I saw great reviews for this place on here, and when I checked the rates they were only 130 so I chanced it and booked the hotel. It was the best 260 we ever spent. The room wasn't anything glamorous but it was definitely clean which to us was all that mattered. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were right across the street from a bus stop, which made it easy to get places, and just a very short walk to the beach. I highly recommend this place to anyone who just needs a clean place to crash. Its great value for the money you spend. We will most certainly return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple