Surf Villa Hotel
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$59
Very Good 4/5
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$67
$130
Very Good 4/5
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$69
Great 4.5/5
Comfort Inn Boardwalk(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$99
Very Good 4/5
Hilton Suites Ocean City Oceanfront(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$230
$211
Hilton.com
Great 4.5/5
Princess Royale Resort(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$139
Very Good 4/5
Paradise Plaza Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$89
$70
$59
QualityInn
Good 3.5/5
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$199
$170
HolidayInn.com
Very Good 4/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at Surf Villa on Sunfest weekend. Rooms were hard to come by at a reasonable rate. The surf is an older building in the heart of downtown OC so don't expect much in the way of amenities. The rooms were clean, and the manager was very hospitable. All in all it wasn't too bad. I don't think I would bring the whole family though. The walls are thin and the rooms are small, but the bed was oh so comfy and the sheets were fresh. If you're just looking for a place to lay your head at night Surf Villa will do.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank princefrostydog
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I absolutely recommend you stay elsewhere in Ocean City! Though, full disclosure: I did not stay at this establishment. I refused to after a miscommunication re. hotel policy led to a totally unpleasant experience with the front desk.

My friends and I came to town for one night to see a free concert. This was a last minute road trip, so after much searching, a couple of us checked into a room at the Surf Villa while the others (all of age) purchased alcohol. As we headed to the rooms with drinks, a man at the front told us that we couldn't enter. "This is not a bar." OK, fair enough. But not only were we not permitted to bring in alcohol, but aside from the people who signed the hotel form, no one else was allowed in the room. At all.

This was a little to strict for our taste, but the checkout process was the real problem. One of the signees was not a native speaker of English, so I offered to help him talk to the man at the front desk, who after much pressing, identified himself as "Hector." Because my friend realized that he did not understand the hotel policy, I calmly asked this individual representing the Surf Villa Hotel to give us the courtesy of a refund. We had not stayed in the room and preferred to find alternative room and board. He said he could not void the signed agreement, which is understandable. But the manor in which he talked to us was HORRENDOUS! I can not stress this enough.

I was really baffled by how he conducted himself as the claimed "owner" of a hotel: He spoke condescendingly to both of us, said several contradictory things and then denied saying them 5 seconds later, refused to give a business card or his last name, threatened to call the police (which I was absolutely fine with since we had done nothing wrong) but never picked up the phone. It was the most bizarre experience I've had in Ocean City. And I've visited several times over the years.

By the end of our exchange, I told the alleged owner that I would be writing this review and he replied that he did not care, which I think pretty much sums up his regard for guests staying at the Surf Villa Hotel. Please DO NOT patronize an establishment with staff members that lack the interpersonal skills needed for the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank S Y
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice! We enjoyed our last minute reservation here for Bike Week weekend. We only stayed one night in a 1 room, 2 dbl bed room, but for it being bike week, this was an incredibly quiet location. Our room was upstairs on the second floor towards the rear of the building. We were happy. Staff is super helpful & was constantly around.

Though our room was small, I know wthat if we reserved earlier we could've gotten something with more space.

There's a small common kitchen open to all & what a nice surprise--a box of donuts waiting to greet guests really early in the morning! Walking in the main lobby was so neat. It's quaint & you can kinda forget you're supposed to be partying at the beach.

From the very generously sized front porch that we shared a few times with other guests, you can see & hear all the OC fun which is neat.

Parking for us was a breeze since the owners kindly set up a "motorcycle only" section in the rear of the hotel--NICE!

Overall, no complaints. This is not high end luxury, it's reminiscent of old ocean city--this place is from the 20's folks. But I enjoyed the fact that we got the best of both worlds, working amenities, and friendly staff who were keeping the place clean. Bedding was comfy, room temperature was great.

I'd highly recommend this location & the staff were truly very, very nice. Take this for what it is. It is much more like an inn than any hotel, but there is nothing wrong with that if you know this is what to expect. We moved around quietly so as not to disturb other guests because the character of the house even gives you creaking (smile) so you feel like you're at your family home.

Room Tip: At least for us, their towels are sort of old, bath soap supplied was low end, no plastic drinking cups...bring your own of these for comfort :). We had a semi-cool weekend, but I'm sure in the heat of summer this place is awesome. I noticed showers & foot washes behind the building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kimmiebrite
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I love this little hotel in Ocean City, Md. I have traveled the world & been in countries & hotel rooms that were definitely different. My big three for hotel rooms are safety, cleanliness, & staff.

I grew up coming down to the beaches here with my parents, always having a weeklong rental. Looking for a place to stay that I felt safe, had a decent room, & affordable price I found the surf villa! I mean don't expect a brand new hotel room where you'll be paying several hundred a night, but if you want a nice decent place with pleasant staff. I highly recommend staying here.

I have been staying here for several summers & i always recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tabs23cu
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed at Surf Villa Hotel for many years now in different rooms upstairs and apartments as well. This place is charming and I consider it as my second home place. This is not for those who are looking for luxury place, do not expect high fashion modern facilities and amenities. This is an OLD hotel, it has it’s own HISTORY in it! There are just few buildings like that left in OC! And as for me every time we stay there the place is cleaned well, cozy atmosphere, with basic needs. The manager and staff are always friendly and caring. And moreover we love the location, love reading on the front porch, with the price they offer you cannot beat it. It worth the money you spend. And I suggest this place to all my friends and those who are interested in diving in history of Ocean City and emerging in the amiable atmosphere.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO GET THE PLACE FOR THE PRICE HOTEL GIVES (FRANKLY SPEAKING ONE OF THE CHEAPEST AMONG OC RENTALS) AND DEMAND HILTON STANDARDS!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family