“It was okay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Ox Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Blue Ox Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are family friendly causal dining. Serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Great Crabcakes, burgers and Famous Blue Plate specials. Seating available inside or outside. Full bar with drink specials all the time. Home of the Looney Bin Comedy Club. Large parties welcome.
Rising Sun, Maryland
“It was okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

It was just okay. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. No complaints about the staff! The place was fine inside too. The food was average. The crab cakes had NO flavor at all. No seasonings on anything really. Pretty bland food in my opinion. My kids liked their food well enough, but you really can't do hot dogs and burgers bad for kids! Ha! The fries were tasty! I don't think I would return there though.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StaceyB3675

Philadelphia PA
“Worst Soft Shell Crabs EVER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We took the family for dinner on Friday July 19th. The wait staff was very friendly, but the food was down right awful.

The salads were old and stale, but there were 2 elements that made me promise never to return:

1) soft shell crabs: I cut into both and the gross mustardy guts came oozing out. I've ordered soft shells many times and never once had this occur. I tried to eat around it, but the crabs were mushy and awful.

2) when I asked what the vegetable options were to go with the meal I was told "we only have corn on the Cobb and salad. That's it for veggies!" Friday night in OC MD (before 6 PM) and they have NO veggies. How is this possible.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT eat there. The bar area looks OK for a beer, but steer clear of the meals.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FirstStateTarheel
Millville, New Jersey
“Not even average food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This restaurant may have been ok for burgers and fries but not for a sit down dinner, quality was poor, and rather tasteless.
We had scallops wrapped in bacon and baked flounder with crab imperial. We felt like they were there for the summer crowd but not there to please the summer crowd.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service and good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a block from where we are staying so we decided to give it a try! The hostess was nice and our server, Jamie, was excellent! When my son didn't like what he ordered, she quickly took it away and got him a different meal! She even took the first meal off of our bill, which we weren't expecting! Then when my other son spilled his water, she quickly cleaned it and still kept a smile on her face! Food tasted very good as well!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Meh food and Meh service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We should have known something was wrong when we saw a gaggle of wait staff sitting in the bar watching sports since their was no one on which to wait and the hostess playing "never have I ever" with the remainder of them. Well we actually didn't encounter that until we were midway through our meal getting up to go to the bathroom, but the staff was bored and it showed through in the service.

My wife has an obsession with crabcake and she ordered it again here. The two crabcake dish here cost less than Phillips and had more breading than Phillips. I had the Crab Bisque which was overseasoned drowning out the little crab that was in it. I would avoid getting any seafood here.

Our server was not particularly attentive especially for their being only two tables populated in our section of the restaurant. He also took a suspiciously long time to come back with our credit card (22 minutes).