“Going downhill”

Blue Ox Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are family friendly causal dining. Serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Great Crabcakes, burgers and Famous Blue Plate specials. Seating available inside or outside. Full bar with drink specials all the time. Home of the Looney Bin Comedy Club. Large parties welcome.
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Will not be back. We had not been there for a couple of years and decided to go back. We selected the bar seating so we could watch the games. We sat there with no one waiting on us and had to go to the hostess stand to get service. The table was missing some of the finish and was sticky. For happy hour, the beer prices were high. The food was okay, but the atmosphere needs to be updated. We really liked it the last time we were there, but we are done.

There are newer reviews for Blue Ox Bar and Grill

Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I had dinner in the bar section on a weekend night. We had been here a few times and thought we would enjoy watching the hot rods riding down coastal highway. However, our service was very slow and waitress was just so so. They were out of the types of beer we wanted and it's not like we wanted anything out of the ordinary. The two I asked for both had advertisements on the wall ironically. We were also served beer in a plastic cup which I thought was a little cheap considering we were eating inside. Our appetizers were good but could have been warmer. I think they stayed a little long before they were served to us. I think they have a really good selection of food and this place has great potential. I would like to see what this place is going to be like during the busy season. I hope they step it up.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Perhaps my review isn't the most fair for the Blue Ox, as we only sat out on their deck for a beer and appetizers, however this is how we experienced it.
The waitress apparently was annoyed that I was only getting a few beers and an appetizer, while my wife wanted coffee, as evident by her lack of attention to our table. When our food was brought out, it was literally slid in front of us w/o asking if we needed anything, or even speaking to us. She brought out a single beer and coffee, and didn't not bother returning to ask if we wanted another drink. In addition, she would frequent the table beside us who ordered full meals, but would intentionally ignore us as we sat waiting for a check or someone to give us service. Regardless of the fact that we did not order a full course meal, service should be consistent with customers who are spending more money.
To be fair, the pretzel sticks were hot and tasted good, even though they took 30 minutes to arrive.
I hope the waitress enjoyed her full $1 tip, as that was entirely too much for the effort she showed.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

While staying in OC for a week, we stopped here in desperation when all other places had hour-long (plus) waits. Always a tad nervous when there are no lines, we were pleasantly surprised by the great service and fine food. We have been here two or three times now (also went one evening when we were kicked out by the Green Turtle because our kids were too young and it was late), and have never been disappointed. The food is fine and the prices are moderate. The bar is lovely. It's also a great place to take the family.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

My trip to the Blue Ox was for an group event where we had about 100 people with food catered. We were given our own private back room with bar and it was perfect for us! The food was served buffet style - our preference and everyone enjoyed it. The Chicken dish that we were served was fantastic. The restaurant owner was very professional in the planning of the event and the night was smooth and care-free as everyone had a great time. Definitely recommend the Blue Ox to anyone and I look forward to going there again! Also, the staff themselves were AMAZING. They showed us such a good time.