“:( 50th wedding anniversary celebration DOWNER!”
Review of Ocean Mecca Motel

Ocean Mecca Motel
Ranked #84 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Booked a room at Ocean Mecca, the hotel where my in laws had spent their honeymoon 50 years prior. Had gotten the green light ahead of time to be the meeting place during the day for the whole family to meet to go to the beach but upon arrival was told differently. We were never greeted warmly and when going over what our plans were, we were given rolling eyes and horrible attitude. This includes the owner as well! Our 50th wedding anniversary celebration has now been scarred by the horrible service at the Ocean Mecca! This owner didn't give a damn about anything other than following "policy". Luckily this marriage and this family has a broader foundation than a honeymoon at the Ocean Mecca. We'll start a new memory at the Dunes Manor Hotel instead. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Brenda O

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at Ocean Mecca several times in past years, we have deviated a few times and keep coming back. The off street parking and often room front is very easy for getting stuff for the beach in and out of your car. The layout of the building to the boardwalk makes beach access easy.

The staff is good, the rooms are clean and basic but well kept. The reservation process is a bit out of time but works fine. If you specify a room in your reservation you may not get it the one you asked for when you arrive, not a big deal but irritating when you asked specifically and were told it was available.

If you bring your own bikes it is also a nice end of hte boardwalk to ride, not at busy.

Rates have gone up a few times and there are cheaper places to stay farther south on the boardwalk but we have been disappointed each time we tried something different. For now we will keep using Ocean Mecca.

Room Tip: 2nd floor by office or corner at the beach front
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Matt P
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had a great stay @ this motel ! The staff was very friendly & helpful ! I brought my jet ski down & they left me park in there big parking lot & I used there sign to lock my trailer wheels so know could steal my trailer & jet ski ! It was very windy the whole week & I only got to use my jet ski once ! I just loved this motel ! You had the beach ,boardwalk & the pool all under your finger tips ! Got to say everything was very clean ! I stayed 23-26th & I didn't know it was Christmas in July @ Fish Tales which was so AWESOME ! Next yr I want to stay for a whole week during the same time & believe me I will remember to bring my Elvis Santa hat that sings to the beach !!! LOL

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same except the 2 @ the end which are family suits .
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mikeyanderson2
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We recently stayed at Ocean Mecca-Room Type 2. Great location - on the boardwalk. Most rooms ocean view even if southern view. Lots of things within walking distance - restaurants, mini-golf, stores, rides, etc. The beach in front of the hotel very nice and the beachfront pool was very clean even at the end of the season. Room was small, decor dated. Nice flat screen TV. Loud unit air conditioners. grrr Couch pullouts extremely lumpy. No hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Not a problem but should be noted on website. Free ice offered next to office,not convenient. Office staff a little rude regarding rules for no guests, no visitors, no one but registered guests which is understandable but we are in our 60's and 2am partying "ain't happenin' I was helping 14 other friends/family move in to their rooms and when I went to check on my room, they demanded to know why and who's key I had and reminded me of the rules. Their website virtual tour does not function. Required $10 deposit for each key issued. Don't leave keys in room, remember to ask for deposit back. Housekeeping staff very friendly. Free public parking right next door (in case you have visitors....shhhh) All in all, price was right for what and where it is!

Room Tip: 1st floor beachfront Suites are kid friendly; worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LeisureLady1
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ocean Mecca and was very pleased with the hotel. It was in a great location - on the boardwalk but away from all the loud noise and crowds. Everything was within walking distance - restaurants, mini-golf, stores, rides, etc. The beach in front of the hotel was very nice and the pool was great. The staff were all very friendly and the room was clean. The only thing we wished we had in the room was a refridgerator. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to spend a nice relaxing vacation in ocean city!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Mako411
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I went to Ocean City, MD, to celebrate his 70th birthday. We just picked up and left without hotel reservations. Arriving in Ocean City, we stopped at a few places, but just weren't satisfied with the location and/or the cleanliness. Then we found Ocean Mecca. We spent 5 days and 4 nights there. The rooms were quiet, near the ocean, near the pool, near the boardwalk, and near the busline. Also, the Embers Restaurant is just across the street. The pool at Ocean Mecca is worth mentioning. It is located in the courtyard area and gets sun all day long. Nice size and plenty of seating. Rooms were nothing special, but comfortable. Front desk service was good. There is a $10 refundable deposit per key requested. Bring your own beach towels. Exterior area is kept VERY clean. Someone is always dumping garbage cans or sweeping parking lot and sidewalk areas.

Room Tip: There is a $10 refundable deposit per key requested. Bring your own beach towels. Request a room a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mngal15
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We arrived at this hotel around 12:30pm and the office manager Neil was very accommodating and allowed us to check in before 3 o'clock the normal check in time, either way the hotel was going to allow us use of the pool and parking lot until we decided to check in early. Needless to say we started out our trip very happy and made use of our day.

The hotel is situated at the quiet end of the boardwalk which was very beneficial since we were traveling as a large family with 4 smaller children, with that being said you will need a stroller unless you plan to ride the tram car it is a 2 mile walk to the other end of the boardwalk.

Our rooms were clean and the cleaning staff here is wonderful. The hotel is a little out dated and worn but this seems to be a common trend amongst all the hotels in Ocean City. The motel offers free ice but you cannot fill your coolers which is a fair request.

The pool is situated right on the boardwalk and is immaculate which is a big bonus because generally the pools in most motels are dirty with hair and sand but Ocean Mecca does a good job with the maintenance. I noticed in other reviews that people complained about the staff and rules they enforce but I can certainly appreciate the staff following up on # of guests per room. During our stay a fist fight broke out in the room next to mine at 2am and it woke my daughter and I, my other family members were sitting on the porch and saw the whole thing take place. The people next door were fighting with each other and out of no where the hotel staff showed up to take control and handle the situation which included the police. The guest causing the problem was asked to leave right away and the remaining party was told to leave the next morning. I could only imagine what would happen if the hotel staff were not there! No sleep and a lot of damage to the motel. All in all we enjoyed our stay and are planning to visit this motel again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sweis24
OceanMecca, Front Office Manager at Ocean Mecca Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments and compliments. We do our best to have our guests have a great time here. Occasionally we have an episode such as happened as you described, but NOT being an absent "landlord", we take pride in our property and want the families that stay here feel safe and secure. Look forward to seeing your family again.