“Okay Experience But....”

Ranked #42 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Preston, Maryland
“Okay Experience But....”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

The hotel was fairly clean and the staff was friendly and it was great pets were allowed! But the dog "bathroom" area looked nothing like the pictures provided on the hotel website. The only problem we had was there was a group of people 15-20 that were very loud and drunk (adults). We could not swim in the pool because they took it over and were even drinking beer in the pool. I understand you are on vacation but this is suppose to be a family friendly place. There was hardly any ice in the ice machine because the "drunk" people were constantly filling there coolers with ice. The soda machine at the hotel also ate my $ but when I told staff members they promply returned it to me. It would have been a much better experience if the large group of people were told to keep it down. I am not really sure if we will be back or not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nicholew410

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 3, 2011

When you normally think of a cheap hotel, you automatically imagine... dirty, run down and unsafe.

Not this place! It's clean, updated and comfortable. The staff is sweet and friendly. We arrived early, so I called and the front desk person said "no problem". Not only was our room ready, they gave us a private section of the hotel, where it was very peaceful. (Arrived Memorial Day Holiday) *Not telling what room, That's my secret.

When we walked into the room, it was clean and smelled wonderful. The room had a kitchen area that showed no sign of use or left over food and the carpet was cleaned and not sticky! One of my pet peeves are dirty top sheets. You know, the cover sheets that go on top of the bed, that is normally stained and fithy. Not here! They were clean and stain free.

The beds are very comfortable. I normally don't sleep well in hotel rooms, but slept very well. The pillows are full and the mattress is not too firm. I loved the fact they situated the room with one king and one full size bed. Made the room bigger and better for a family of four to move around in. This hotel is also pet friendly. You never know it when you walk into the room. No sign of pet smell or hair anywhere! Maids are wonderful. Very friendly and helpful. Never saw one attitude. Always willing to have a friendly conversation.

This hotel is also right off the beach and about fifteen blocks from the boardwalk. You can catch a bus right across the street. Close to the Dough Roller restaurant and market.

I quess with the good there has to be some bad. A young man, who happened to be a guest staying next door to me, got drunk. Somehow my passing grin (disgusted really) in the hallway, gave him the impression I was interested. Don't asked me how. Anyway, as my daughter and I was enjoying the pool, he decided to come down and try to grab me in front of her. I handled the situation well and got him to leave. But, when he began shouting curses at me, I notified the front desk immediately. I would have liked him to be moved or kicked out of the hotel, but instead, they gave him a warning. Didn't like that. Never heard anything after, even when we checked out the next day. We are still going back in August.

Also, the pool is very nice, but could stand a daily cleaning or check. I like the fact the pool only goes up to five feet, but many guests use the pool right after leaving the beach and it's full of sand and film from lotions.

This is the only reason why I gave my rating as very good not excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HotelReviewer67
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We (husband, toddler, dog, and I) stayed here April 2-3. We liked the size of the room. It had a king size bed and a double bed. There was a vanity area, with a sink, next to the king bed, along with a microwave, mini refrigerator, flat screen TV, iron, and board. The carpeting, bed spreads, room curtains, and shower curtain looked new. The bathroom ceiling had some rust and a little mold. The chair cushions in the private patio area right outside our room were stained, as well as the ironing board. There was other wear and tear throughout the room, but it was minimal and did not bother us. The hotel was at full capacity, but we didn’t hear a peep from our neighbors. Maybe good soundproofing or just some quiet people.
The motel is about a half mile walk to the end of the boardwalk. Then, it’s about a 2 mile walk to where Jolly Roger Amusement Park. So, if you’re planning to hoof it, just want to let you know what you are in for.
Now, for the”but… “part. I called the motel to cancel our reservation 72 hours before our stay because we weren’t uncertain about the weather. I spoke with Stephanie, the manager, and I told her about the cancellation. She said, per motel policy, cancellations must be made 2 weeks prior to stay in order to receive a refund. I told her according to my confirmation page, reservations can be cancelled 72 hours before hand, not 2 weeks. She then replied, in a snippy tone, “I don’t know where you are getting your information, but it’s 2 weeks, not 72 hours.” I just told her where I got the information, but I kept cool and repeated myself and she as well. She did not ask me to email her my confirmation page, but I took it upon myself after our call to send it to her. She called the next day and offered to honor the 72 hour window, which we declined.
We will not be returning to Barefoot Mailman because of my interaction with Stephanie. The motel, location, and check-in clerk were fine, but her attitude was not. If we had just exchanged pleasantries, I would feel different. I got a little taste of her managerial style and, at least in my case, it was “You are wrong unless you prove yourself right”.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Vatrahaki1
Runnemede, New Jersey
Reviewed October 23, 2010

From the time we and our dog got to this hotel everything went great
Checking in and out quick and easy
staff bends over backward to help you out if you need anything
Cleaning staff is great
rooms are spotless and can't even tell if a dog had been in your room or not
we stayed on the 5th floor and the view of the bay was great.
thank you everyone for being so nice it made our stay very enjoyable.
Jean from new jersey

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jean036
annmariner, Owner at Barefoot Mailman, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
What a wonderful season we had! The Barefoot Mailman family isn't very big but we have a ton of love for our community and patrons. The kind words showcased on Trip Adviser are encouraging us to make life even better at the Barefoot Mailman. We would like to invite all of our furry friends back for the 2011 summer as we will have even more improvements to make pet care easier!
Livonia
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Enjoyed our time here, our 4th year to visit in October. Wonderful location, great staff, rooms are dated but nice size and clean, accepts dogs, all rooms have refrig and micro.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HuR2013
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I cannot say enough about the Barefoot Mailman. I have never met such nice people. Sonja and Carol were especially nice. I didn't get to speak with many others but I'm sure that they are just as nice because they always said hello. Will definitely stay there again next year. We had a dog with us. I expected a pet room, with spots on the carpet, maybe a little doggy odor. Nothing. I don't know what they use to clean, but it's wonderful! If you get a chance to go, you will enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cjwr321
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We have stayed in OC for many years but now traveling with our small dog presents lodging problems. Our frequented hotel [non pet friendly] referred us to the BF Mailman. Great choice. We were pleased with the accomodations. Clean and fresh. Sorry that it is not open year round since we frequent OC during the winter season but will definitely keep it in our listing for future travel.
PS A hairdryer in the rooms would be a nice upgrade for those who travel without one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple