“Perfect Spot for Cruisin'”

Crystal Sands Motel
Ranked #58 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Car Crusin weekend. We had to get an efficiency that was a little more but it was all they had. Most hotels were booked solid. But what a great location! Right on Baltimore Ave. you could sit on the balcony and see all the cars go by. Plus it was located right behind The Party Block, Subway was across the street and Phillips was 3 blocks down so we didn't have to drive anywhere. The room was a good size and very clean. The guy at the front desk was very nice from the time I booked it to when we checked out. No complaints! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank lillhoneybee

Reviewed August 3, 2006

I stayed here the first weekend in May with 2 girlfriends of mine. It was a good place for the 3 of us. Even 4 would be comfortable but I wouldn't try to fit anymore in. Not that anyone does that... *wink*

I was pleasantly surprised with the room. Everything was pretty nice, even the bathroom. The room was somewhat cramped as the tv armoire was one foot from the end of one of the beds but it was good enough for a weekend. How much time do you really spend in there anyway? In fact.... it's right behind the Party Block so there's where you can spend your night time.

There is no pool and the small parking lot you can see from your room is scary when people with SUV's think they can/should fit/park there. It was a trip trying to get my car out when we left.

All in all... I'd stay again, if it was the same time of year.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank vld8783
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My boyfried and I (I'm 23, he's 25) visited Ocean City from July 1-July 5, 2006. Neither of us had even been there before. We chose the Crystal Sands Motel becuase it was the cheapest we could find and the location seemed pretty nice. We stayed in an efficency room, which had a fridge, microwave, range, and a sink, and it cost $650 for four nights ($150/night plus tax). It is a short walk to the beach, and it is located at 17th street, which is at the quieter end of the boardwalk. I liked the location because it seemed to be exactly where you started to see shops (walk towards the north end of the boardwalk and all you see is residences, and walk towards the south and all you see is shops and places to eat.) We like to walk, so it wasn't a big deal to walk all the way to the bottom of the boardwalk (a few blocks below 1st street). It is right across the street from the HUGE Holiday Inn Oceanfront Suites. As for the motel itself, you get what you pay for. The front desk staff was very friendly. As for the room, I wouldn't say it was dirty, but it didn't feel squeaky clean either. There were handprints on the glass of the windows (not from us) that where there the entire time. My boyfriend left some change on the dressing table, and the maids took it (looking back, it could have seemed like a tip). The fridge and the microwave were very clean. The room was nice sized, but it was very dark. The beadspreads and the carpet were both a dark maroon color and the lights weren't great. I did see a room that was a nice pastel color though, so it's not all of them. The room smelled very strongly of disenfectant/cleaning solution. My boyfriend likes to be cold, and the air conditioner worked very well. A note about the parking: the motel has two lots, as the on site lot is very small. The second lot is a few blocks away, on the other side of Philadelphia Ave (the bayside). It did not affect us, but I would have been annoyed if I had been told I had to park my car out of sight. It's mentioned on their website, so I was prepared for it if it had happened. On the other hand, we didn't move the car once the entire time because there are so many things within walking distance. Also there is a bus to get around as well so you could go anywhere without driving.
Bottom line: It wasn't five star lodging, but I wasn't horrible. I would reccomend it to someone who just needs a place to sleep and keep their stuff. Will we stay there again? It all depends on money. Next time I'd like to stay at a place with a pool, but they cost more.

3  Thank Elizabeth D