“You're better off sleeping in your car!!! This place is a DUMP!”
Review of The Islander Motel

The Islander Motel
Ranked #97 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Don't be fooled, this place is a dump. We were hit in the face by the foul smell of mold/mildew as soon as we opened the door. The carpet was so FILTHY that we had to go and buy flip flops to wear while we were in the room because our feet turned black!! The shower head only had about 7 holes for the water to flow trough. The guy came and checked it out and said that it was working ok......ok, if your idea of a shower is to slap some vodka under your pits..... which is what he smelled like. We had to use a square ice bucket in the shower so we could wash and rinse our hair. I had to rinse the kids bathing suits out in the fountain outside by the pool, since there was no water pressure in the sink either. If given a choice between staying at this dump or sleeping in my car.....I honestly would prefer to sleep in my car......my car is a whole lot cleaner. Don't let the pictures on the brochure fool you, this place is a first class DUMP!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank imjustanotherday

Reviewed August 10, 2009

We were very happy with our stay in this motel; I don't understand all the other bad reviews. We stayed for 6 days/nights while on a family vacation in July 09. The room was very clean; the sheets were crisp clean everyday, beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Complimentary coffee was available all day at the front desk and the room had a small kitchen area (stove, pots & pans, refrigerator, dishes & cups) which makes this a great value for families. Terrific location, easy to be on the boardwalk or beach within minutes. The outdoor pool was great, we would see a staff member staying by the pool all day checking out and making sure everything was perfect, he would even pick up stuff from the ground that kids would drop here and there. Our experience was not the same as everyone else complaining here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank albabebe39
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I had a wonderful time at the Islander. The rooms were very clean and the room service was great they came in everyday and made the room look and feel great. The room included a small kitchen area which saved us money as an alternative for eating our for every meal. The AC worked great and the room was nice and cool the whole time we were there. The owners and staff were very friendly and accomidating. The location of the hotel was great a one minute walk from the beach and boardwalk and other places that were essential to a comfortable stay like convience stores and tourist attractions. I loved my stay here and would not only go back but also recommend it to anyone else. the price was very affordable and the quality of my stay was terrific!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank pinkspider92
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Do not stay at this hotel if you can get a room anywhere else. This is possibly the worst beach hotel I’ve ever stayed at on the East Coast. The hotel I usually stay at in Ocean City was full, as were some other options, but this place had vacancies. Now I know why. The first issue with the hotel was the price. Had the other hotel I wanted to stay at not been fully booked, I could have stayed there for $120-160 a night. Instead I paid $210 for one night, at this [--] hotel that was farther from the beach (about 4-5 blocks from the boardwalk), farther from the attractions on the boardwalk, with a smaller room, smaller beds, and trashier guests.

The beds were double beds, not queen sized, there was no hot water, and the owner harassed us for hours the night we stayed, trying to kick out our friends that were hanging out at the hotel and coming by the room numerous times to make sure we didn’t have extra guests. We didn’t know who he was and thought he was some drunk/crazy Russian guy before figuring out he owned or worked at the hotel. When we complained in the morning about the lack of hot water, the owner said, “You should have told me earlier” and did not agree to our request for a partial refund. This place might have been acceptable if it was $70 a night, but not having hot water is unacceptable. This is American, not some third world [--].

Stay anywhere else other than The Islander! As I said, it may be the worst beach hotel on the East Coast. The only reason we sucked it up and rented a room was because we arrived late at the beach after hours of traffic and wanted to get into the water before sunset, and we didn't have time to check prices at every hotel. I KNOW we could have found a better hotel for a lower price (with hot water to boot).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank miknugget
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I really don't have anything good to say about & I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked it! My biggest complaint were the bugs in the bathroom & in the tub! The sink in the bathroom was clogged & took a long time for the water to go down...GROSS!! The mattress was not very comfortable & I woke up to an achey back. Oh yeah, I almost fogot..we didn't get room service because they forgot to give us a card to hang on the door knob that requests service. I did go down to the office & explained the situation & after much debate he did say he would bring me some towels. I told him I needed 4. He brought me 4 towels & 2 wash clothes. It was the same wasy when we checked in(only 4 towels,2 wash clothes). The only nice thing I have to say about the place was that the pool was well maintained .

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank red235
Reviewed June 13, 2009

The place is looking better every year i come there . I love the potted plants around the pool , it makes a big difference ,looks beautiful. The place loook very nice decks are getting painted ,new desk , tabels in rooms . Cant wait to see whats new next time. Thank you for a great stay , Will be back soon L isa

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2009

my boyfriend and i went down to the beach with two other of our close friends looking to have i relaxing vacation, but that was not the case when we stayed her. when we first arrived at the hotel we were treated to an awful odor that we soon discovered was come form the stove. as we got use to the smell we noticed holes all over the wall. the light in the bathroom didn't work the tv didn't have a remote. an the plates and other kitchen supplies that we paid for were nowhere to be found. after we got over all that we started to notice that we were being watched like we were doing something wrong. our friends came up to grab a sweatshirt and were immediately kick out and quickly told not to return.but what we couldn't understand is the young kids to blare music at 8 o'clock in the morning and nothing be done about it. the night guard came up to our room twice once while we were in bed sleeping and insisted to come in so we let him in and he insisted on yelling at us for i guess sleeping to hard.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends