“nice hotel-- but seeing it go down in just 1 year”

Hilton Suites Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pearl River, NY
“nice hotel-- but seeing it go down in just 1 year”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Dont get me wrong, this hotel is very nice--perhaps one of the nicest of all the hiltons------I am a diamond member and stayed here on points for three nights with other friends who had a room next to ours. ..We stayed here last year too....however, the hotel housekeeping staff has gone down in their service.....Both days, we had to wait til 5:30 to have our rooms cleaned and laundry changed..when I approached the housekeeping staff--they said , "your not on my list"...when I called the front desk, they say that technically they have until 6pm to clean it---thats true, but you would think they would have a little extra courtesy for a Diamond traveler and someone who is asking for room to be cleaned, but I am starting to think they are more apt to clean the "Paying customers" first rather than those on Points--(it is 500/night )so beware if you are using points!! When I asked the assistant mgr about this, she said the staff told her we had a "Do Not Disturb " sign on the door--a blantant lie!!--and of course, they did not believe us...So, all in all, it was very nice but I must admit, the help is going down hill since our last summer stay...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank omalley115

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stopped by the Hilton on our way out of town *last* summer to see if it was all we might've hoped, and it looked fantastic, made us wish we'd spent our vacation here. So when we finally had a chance to get to the O.C. this summer, we splurged, plunked down the $550 a night (with taxes) this weekend, and have absolutely no regrets. I've been to Ocean City literally every summer of my life, and this is hands-down the best hotel ever to grace this town, by far—the quite nice Coconut Mallory included. The view down to the pool and out to the beach from the balcony was exquisite, the suite comfortable for five, clean and tastefully decorated (such an exception for a beach town!), with those wonderful Hilton beds and linens with fluffy down pillows. There's a wonderful restaurant, room service, an indoor pool that's open until midnight, a nice (NICE!) gym you'll actually want to use that's open 24 hours. The outdoor pools are great, including the one with the swim-up bar. Oh, and did I mention the private changing rooms with showers and sinks, so come Sunday or whenever you must depart, you can enjoy a full day at the beach, then shower and change for the drive home, feeling like a new person? I can't say enough good things about the Hilton—worth every penny, cut your vacation short if you must to stay here over wherever else you're considing in Ocean City.

My only criticicm's almost trifling, but real: The lifeguards chase kids under 16 out of the large and alluring hot tub that sits at one end of the family pool. Sure bummed my kids out—one even got reprimanded for dangling his feet in the water while he talked to me. HelLO, that's what we came for!!! This kid-unfriendly policy is as needless as it is annoying: Disney, the Great Wolf Lodge, and other massively popular family destinations welcome kids in their hot tubs, and set aside another just for grown-ups. No need to have kids with blue lips and chattering teeth from hours of cold-water swimming disappointed for nothing, particularly at a hotel that's easily two-thirds booked by families and that costs more per night on average than any property at Walt Disney World. Straighten that out, Hilton, and this hotel is perfect.

1 Thank FordCochran
Dobronhegy, Hungary
Reviewed August 14, 2009

This hotel is perfect for familys, and for people without family too. It had 1 pool for children, and 1 for adults. The beach is circa 50 m.
The suite are big, have living room with kitchen, and 1 bedroom, and 1 bathroom.
The Kitchen is fully equipped. On the first floor is an indoorpool, fittnessroom, business center, and the hotel-restaurant too.
I love this hotel!! :)

1 Thank Zsike
Maryland
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The old saying is true: You get what you pay for. And here the high price tag is worth the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Suites. Very attentive staff, well appointed and spacious rooms make staying here a real treat for our family and a highlight of our OC stay. We stayed in late April just before the prices went up and we enjoyed every minute.

Parking was roomy and not a hassle at all, check in to the hotel was also a breeze. Our room was a large long suite with both City and Ocean views and was separated nicely to allow multi family sleeping and activities. The bathroom centrally located was beautiful with a walk in 4 head shower that felt amazing. The kitchen area was also very nice with kitchen utensils and pots and pans for those cooking. We also liked the Jacuzzi in the main room and the girls got in it together with their bathing suits on while watching a movie at night.

The 2 flat screens on the wall in both main living areas were great to watch and added a real high end feel to the rooms. The balcony was large and we spent a good deal of time listening to the ocean and relaxing. At sunset we went to the other window and watched it set over the bay, another great treat. The location was great and we walked and biked and enjoyed the convenience of being situated so near to the action. The beds were very large and comfortable and it could easily sleep 6 people in the large 2 rooms and pull out couch. The high speed internet and corner wood desk was great for checking email and web surfing for OC events and activities.

The fitness center and indoor pool were great, we spent a good amount of time at each. We found the indoor pool area to be very large and clean and enough seating for everyone without feeling tight on space. The outdoor pool was very nice as well with views of the ocean, it was also very spacious. We did not have little kids with us and the kiddy pool area was still closed i guess for the season but it appeared HUGE. It was a grand area for children to play in and it looked like a great time for parents and the children.

We had dinner one night at the Hiltons restaurant 32palm and we were not happy with the food or service. It was a very dim lit atmosphere that was oddly enough playing what sounded like spooky western music and our food was terrible and young waitress was rude and very detached. Our meat was chewy and the portions were tiny and very pricey. The first time I complained about my steak being hard to cut and chew the waitress brought me out a 'sharper knife' and plopped in front of me. She walked away so fast we didn't have a chance to tell her we have been waiting for refills for 5 minutes. We ended up sending 2 of our 5 plates back and the manager took 1 plate off the bill completely. We are not a family to complain but the food was just not good at all. We chose this over the Ruths Chris in Berlin due to convenience, we wouldn't recommend 32Palm.

I recall us paying in the high $200 range for this room and it was worth every penny. I just recently looked it up now that is dead of summer and it is $499 (and fully booked) so we will wait until late spring again to revisit this little jem. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a luxurious stay with great staff and warm and welcoming feeling. You really cannot go wrong with choosing this hotel and its the best I have stayed at in OC so far.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank thinkbigger
Pittsburgh,PA
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Nice hotel but a few issues which were bothersome for a hotel at that price point. The service staff(cleaning, lifeguards, bartenders, waitresses/waiters, doorman etc) were all exceedingly nice and helpful-really impressive. However, the male manager on duty the week I was there-awful. Here's the short of it. We had a few minor issues which we tried to quietly address with the manager; he did nothing more than cross his arms and get defensive, give excuses and roll his eyes at us. He offered no solutions and gave us the impression that it's the end of the summer; I'm sick of dealing with people and we're sold out; and I really don't care what your issues are. A few examples; they closed an entire pool for several hours because a child went to the bathroom in it. My sister simply asked him if they ever checked for swim diapers or rubber pants. He responded, "No we don't, the parents who come to this hotel are irresponsible." We were standing there with 5 kids-brilliant response. I then asked him where we could find some ice cream-the entire hotel was sold out-kind of bizarre. The manager informed us they would not be refilling the carts(this was 2 in the afternoon) and directed us to the on premise restaurant-not a pleasant experience to be standing in the middle of this fancy restaurant in our bathing suits-I'm not sure why there's an ice cream shortage in a hotel this size in the middle of the summer. I also was peeved that we were on a wait list since 10am to check into the hotel. We didn't get a room until 4pm(this was on a Tuesday). I asked the manager why the room wasn't available at 3pm(check in time) and he told me that 3pm is not check in time-it's the beginning of check in time-not a guarantee. I mentioned to him that we were priority members and I thought that meant something(earlier check in?) but it really doesn't-he just kept rolling his eyes at me. Uggh. Next year we'll go to the Holiday Inn-it's the exact same layout(pools and rooms); a little cheaper and on the boardwalk.

1 Thank busymomPittsburgh
Bay area, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We have traveled to Ocean City for more than 25 years staying in both hotels and condos but we have never stayed at a better place than this Hilton. From the bell staff, to check in, to maid service they are at the top of their game. The hotel has 3 pool options and I would have to say that their kids pool is one of the best in the country. The option of a large indoor pool for the one rainy day we had was perfect. The hotel is located right on the beach with easy access right from the back of the hotel. Beach towels are provided by the hotel and chairs can be rented on the beach. The set-up of the room is perfect for a family - a large bedroom with either a king or two queens. There is also a pullout queen size sleeper sofa in the living room. The living room has a comfortable chair as well as the sofa and a small round table with four chairs. If your not eating breakfast on the great ocean front deck than this is a good place to eat. The really nice part of this hotel suite is the kitchen with full size fridge, stove, sink and dishwasher. Unusual for most suite hotels. Although we ate all our dinners out we were able to have a quick breakfast and pack a lunch to take down to the beach.

We have stayed at some of the finest hotels in Hawaii and I would easily say this Hilton is on an equal par. We would return to this hotel in a blink.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MauiloverBayarea
Brooklyn
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Great location. We had a fantastic time. The hotel was clean and the service was excellent. Our first time in Ocean City. The pool area was great and so was the beach. Friendly staff who were very helpful. Whatever we asked for it was brought to us immediately. The children as well as the adults had a great time. So what they didn't have a potato masher or peeler, I had a knife and a fork. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family