“Not again.”
Review of Buckingham Hotel

Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #38 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This is the third time I've stayed at the Buckingham, and it will be our last. Started with wrong info on their website, but due to it being the cheapest still, and so close to the boardwalk, I sucked it up for my family and booked the room. Tub was broke, either water was burning hot or freezing cold, basically had to break in to my own room every time I unlocked the door because the door wouldn't open, and had to continually ask for more towels. It is cheap and close to the beach/boardwalk, and yes, you get what you pay for, but next year I'll pay the extra money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cody h

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Reading past reviews, I was terrified of this place and fuming when my friend informed me that he'd booked us a room for a quick weekend getaway at the last minute. My only salvation came from the couple recent reviews that appear to have been published post-renovation. All in all, my experience wasn't terrible. This isn't exactly the hotel you recommend to others or want to spend more than 2 days in, though.

Rolling up to this place, I was convinced a young Anthony Perkins (or worse, a young Vince Vaughn) would come traipsing out of the door to help me with my bags. The fact that our bathroom had a small door with a missing knob on it that connected to the adjacent motel room didn't help ease my fears that I'd be hearing stuccato violins during my last seconds on this earth. Thankfully, that's about all that's off-putting about this place. Apparently the renovations they did recently were sufficient because during a 2 night, 3 day stay I didn't see one insect or discarded condom (inside...the parking lot had a stray Lifestyles wrapper blowing about in the wind. Though better safe than sorry) that other, pre-renovation reviews mentioned. Linens were clean and the bathroom was spotless, if only a bit old. The whole place needed new wallpaper altogether. And I couldn't imagine staying in that small of a room for more than 2 nights without killing whoever I was with.

The two staff I encountered weren't terrible or rude. Just strange. The cleaning lady was spunky and sassy but never delivered on the clean linens she promised us. I had to bring our wet towels to the girl at the front desk who appeared younger than I am (23), who told me I "cccoooooould have new towels, but they're all in the dryer". Thankfully, after returning from dinner later that night, a pile of fresh towels were waiting for us when we opened our door. The parking lot was cramped, and the other guests there seemed to be young kids who were about 2 months too late celebrating Senior Week, or people who just didn't know any better/had no other choice...95% of the hotels this past weekend were rocking the NO VACANCY sign, including Buckingham.

Basically, this is a place to rest your (hopefully drunken) head for a night or two when you have no other choice (or money). Don't even dare book a room for a week and bring the kids for a nice family get-away. It's steps from the boardwalk, and it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. Thankfully, the price no longer includes bugs. Or a hillside view of "Mother's house"...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank farrell9025
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My daughter and her boyfriend just got back from the Buckingham Motel. In fairness to the Buckingham, I have to say that this is one of the few places in Ocean City that would rent to young adults other during the month of June. Their reservation was for a king deluxe room. The room did have a king size bed; however, the room itself was extremely small. They had to leave a lot of their stuff in the car because there was no room to put anything. The room was clean, though, and the air conditioning worked nicely. The housekeeping staff left a lot to be desired, with the exception of an African American lady who took good care of them. The other ones either didn't understand English very well or pretended they didn't. One day, they waited from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. the following morning for clean towels, which were damp when they arrived. There are no phones to call the front desk with, so you are basically left hanging. The parking lot is extremely tight, too. However, the Buckingham is in a great location and extremely close to everything. I realize you don't go on vacation to stay in your room; however, the pictures of a spacious, newly remodeled room were nothing like what they saw when they arrived. Not the best, but not the best. But would we stay there again? Not iikely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carnivalgirl313
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Buckingham Hotel was a great place to stay. The rooms were clean, and the staff was very caring. I heard horror stories about other Hotels that were so much more expensive while vacationing in Ocean City. I would recommend the hotel to anyone that wants to have a good time. We spent a lot of our spare time talking to other hotel residents on the porch of the Buckingham. The porch and talking to others was a lot of fun.
Have a great time in Ocean City, Keri Costello

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keri C
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Really...i could eat off the toilet seats at this place.

It's easy to maintain a clean hotel in my mind, but what isn't easy is employing people who will day in and day out keep a chipper attitude while around guests. I think that is a vital quality that will make any guest's stay better. This hotel is filled with employees just like this.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank aberner1
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I absolutely loved our stay at the Buckingham! It was enjoyable on so many accounts. The rooms were so spacious and confortable! We didn't want to leave if not for the many attractions that were so conveniently located near by. The staff was so accommodating as well. Overall, we plan on making this establishment our annual residence for our beach getaways!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Mowings1
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel is a great atmosphere, very cozy and welcoming. Great location close to the boardwalk and attractions and beach. Highly recommend and will be staying here every time I come to Ocean City.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends