“Babbi, Martin and the rest of the incompetent staff owe us a FREE stay in the room that we booked and should have gotten to stay”

Ocean 1 Hotel and Suites
Ranked #55 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

NIGHTMARE does not even begin to describe our experience! BABBI "The Manager" and her incompetent so called staff need lessons on hospitality and customer service! My boyfriend called the Haven and gave the month and dates of when we would be coming. He was referred to their website by front desk employee, Martin. He told my boyfriend that there were 4 rooms available and that online offered a discount. So my boyfriend tried booking online. Online said there were no availabilities for our dates. My boyfriend then called the Haven a SECOND time and Martin told him that the website probably has not updated yet and to keep checking throughout the day. I then called the Haven and spoke to Martin and I told him when we wanted to book (3rd time Martin was given our dates in 1 day) and if he could honor the online discount. He said he couldnt honor it. I asked how often the website is updated. Martin told me it is updated daily, usually early morning. So why would he tell my boyfriend to waste his time and check throughout the day? I told my boyfriend this and he decided to wait until the next day to check and see if it had updated. The next day, the site had not updated. My boyfriend called Haven for the 4th time and spoke to Martin again. He told Martin the site still said no rooms available and questioned Martin as to why he could not honor the online pricing. Martin then said he could honor the online price and we booked the weekend we had talked to Martin about over the course of 2 days and 4 phone calls. My boyfriend paid for 1 of the 2 nights upfront over the phone. When we arrived at the Haven on the days we booked, we spoke to Babbi and another front desk employee. They could not find our reservation. It turned out Martin booked us for a completely different month and completely different dates. Instead of being apologetic, the front desk employee said it wasn't his mistake and that he would never make a mistake like this. Babbi did not even apologize to us. We wanted a specific room and view and they put us in the opposite of what we wanted. They said the room they were putting us in was bigger but bigger isn't better when your view is of a brick building. We asked what would happen the following night since we booked 2 nights. Babbi said she would call other hotels and find us a room because they were totally booked. We stressed out all night and into the next day over where we were moving to. The next day we didn't get a phone call so we had to go to the front desk and get an update. Babbi said she hadn't found us a room yet. It seemed like she had yet to even look. She began making phone calls and then asked us again for our contact info to call us when she found something. This impacted our vacation because we couldnt go do what we wanted. We had to stay close to the hotel since we would have to come back and  switch hotels and were being told we needed to be out by 1:15. We finally got a call from Babbi saying she found 2 places. We had never heard of either. They were both in the higher number streets and we specifically wanted a hotel on the boardwalk with an ocean view. We asked her questions about the 2 different hotels and which best fit what we were looking for. She told us we would hate the Atlantic Oceanfront Inn and to go with the Thunderbird Beach Motel. She said the thunderbird was right along the end of the boardwalk so we could still go on it conveniently. She said she use to work at the Atlantic and its "really bad" and that we would "love" the Thunderbird "a lot." She said we would need to pay the Thunderbird a partial amount and she would cover the rest. We had to check out by 1:15 so we went back to our room and found the door was open. We told the guy cleaning on our floor that our door was open and he said, "nothing is going to happen, I'm up here working." Thats not the point however. You don't leave a door open for anyone to just walk in. We left the Haven still with no apology. The only thing we got was Babbi complaining about how her employee said "he didn't make a mistake" and that "he needs to own up to his mistakes." We couldn't even check in to the Thunderbird till 3pm so we had to figure out how to kill time and waste more of our vacation. Once we got to the Thunderbird and saw the condition, we wouldn't have even paid a penny to stay at this location! We called Babbi immediately and she refused to pay the total amount and said she "did not have any more petty cash to use." The hotel was NOT on the boardwalk like she told us. It wasn't even along the beach. The hotel was VERY dirty! There was old food left in the fridge. All our towels had huge brown stains on them. Our bathtub hadn't been cleaned and had hair in it. I felt disgusting and not relaxed there at all with all the noise coming from all the neighbors. We deserved much better treatment then this! We deserve compensation!!! I want them to give us a comped stay in the room we paid for!! We were treated beyond poorly. This was no vacation! These people need a lesson on customer service. Believe me when I say that Frank, the owner of this hotel will be hearing about this. No guest should ever be treated this way!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Snobuny08

Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Juat like the others say, the parking is not on site. It is only 1 block away not 2 as others proclaim. OCMD doesn't have huge city blocks so it isn't that far but is cumbersome if you have a lot of stuff.

The front desk staff are not on the same page when it comes to service. Each person you deal with will yield a different experience but will be equally helpful. I think they need to set a service policy in place to stay consistant.

The rooms are huge and very clean! It was more room than I was expecting. The kitchenette was a bonus though I was not expecting it so I didn't use it.

The main drawback of this place is the slow elevator serving the floors. It is slow and there is only 1 of them. You are encouraged not to use the stairs so they are not an option but should be since the facility is only 5 floors counting the ground level. The elevator makes this a place not to stay with the kids.

The location is great, right on the boardwalk. If you get a room on the side you will not be bothered by the noise yet still have an ocean view.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank blkbam
rhgcorp, Front Office Manager at Ocean 1 Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

An update Haven Hotel is now called Ocean 1 Hotel and Suites we are under new management and are upgrading the Hotel.

Our new management is committed to seeing to our guest needs and making them comfortable on vacation.

Please check our website for Specials and Book Early and Save!

Management

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Haven Hotel was okay. But the parking is horrible. You'll have to park a block away in order for your car not to get towed. The front desk service was alright. I wouldn't recommend staying here. My family stayed on the 5th floor, in order to get ice you have to take the elevator to the second floor then back. There is no internet access. No swimming pool for the kids.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jen N
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Parking Parking Parking. They do not tell you about the parking on any of the information. Only 8 spaces available 2 are handicapped spaces are near the hotel office door. The other parking is two blocks away!Hopefully if you leave for a dinner trip down the strip you will be able to park when you return. Rooms were okay, hospital twin bed in room with a queen. Sheets not too clean looking and towels are small and thin. Barely enough towels left. TV was difficult to navigate and front desk was no help. I will never stay here again. The only plus was it was near the boardwalk.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelingplans
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Like others, I too was reluctant to stay here based on reviews I had read. But I will say I was happy with my accommodations. The rooms were larger than typical hotel rooms. We are three hetero males so one of us slept on an air mattress we brought, that fit more than comfortably in the room. The cleanliness was adequate. About what I expected from a non-chain motel. This does not mean it was dirty, it just means it was adequately cleaned and maintained. Don't expect a "like new" room you would get at a Holiday Inn, it's not that. Location was great, near the nightlife, and right on the boardwalk. A short stumble,er walk home at 2am. We needed extra towels and the response time was fairly quick. As for parking, yes the parking lot is two blocks or so away, but that wasn't an issue since once parked my friends and I knew we wouldn't and shouldn't be driving, wink wink. We stayed over the fourth of July weekend and would stay here again. Hey, I had a decent experience here while others have had nightmares. Flip a coin, roll the dice, spend twice as much to be sure. I'll roll the dice here again next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank anonamoose000
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I just got back from my trip to
Ocean city, My family & I stayed at the Haven Hotel. Check In was okay, besides the fact that if you park in the parking spots on the side for 5 minutes to check in you'll get a ticket! The room we stayed in was a suite, they gave us 2 towels (keep in mind the room sleeps 6) and there were no sheets for the sofa bed. Other then that I can't complain, the Jaccuzi was nice & thats the only place that I've stayed at in OC with decent water pressure. And the room was very clean. I will deffantly go back.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Courthalecki6
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed 2 nights, I saw bad reviews on a web site, so I was alittle worried! The Haven was in a GREAT location. We had clean towels, a decent bed! I am pretty particular about the cleanliness ( worked in the hotel industry) the only thing I saw not clean was way under the bed! We got a non smoking room but whomever was in before us must have smoked but that wouldn't keep me from staying there again! If they would offer free WiFi it would boost my rating! If I had to complain about something that would be it! Someone complained parking was a block away... I really didn't care I got FREE parking I wasn't driving daily, and if I would have been I would have know I had a parking spot when I got back! Staff was very friendly! We stayed on the 5th floor so noise was no issue for us! But face it everyone is on vacation so there will be noise, but we didn't experience any annoying noise! If I go to OC MD again, I would definitely consider staying there again!

• Stayed: July 2011