“Great deal for Ocean City”

Crystal Beach Hotel
Ranked #58 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 29, 2007

After searching up and down the boardwalk for a decent place to stay at reasonable rates, we were lucky enough to finally find the Crystal Beach Hotel. It's on the boardwalk at 25th street, a great location. The room was spacious and comfortable with a fridge, microwave and toaster. Every area was clean as a whistle. The pool is on the ocean side which is really nice. There's covered parking which is impossible to find on the boardwalk. The price was more than we wanted to pay, but the value compared to other properties we looked at, was well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank Cyd'sTips
carouselresort, Manager at Crystal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear valued guest, thank you for the thoughtful review. We want to state that The Crystal Beach Hotel is a great hotel, and it's only getting better. The Carousel Group Management Group has recently taken over the operations and management of the hotel. What does this mean for you? It means more than just quality assurance, it means you will get the benefits from staying at a Carousel Group Hotel.

3. Discounted Dining in the Carousel Oceanfront Restaurant
4. Use of the Tropical lawn, live entertainment including Live Ice Shows in The Summer

There are many great activities just walking distance from the hotel. These activities include Movies on the beach, family beach Olympics, Jolly Rogers amusement park, great dining, attractions, miniature golf, and so much more!

There are newer reviews for Crystal Beach Hotel

Reviewed August 28, 2007

Yes this is Debbie and Mark Langenfelder,we stayed there with our 2 kids for 7 days and had a wonderful time.The maid service was very good,and whenever we needed help the front desk was always very helpful.We hope to move to ocean city someday.
Thank you Mrs.Debbie Langenfelder

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank debbielang

Reviewed August 13, 2007

We visited the Crystal Beach Hotel for 5 days in July.
Service was excellent....rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. Very convenient location...private parking garage that connects to the hotel 3rd floor.
Located at the non-crowded end of the Boardwalk so it was quiet and the beach area was huge. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank BEACHGUY500

Reviewed October 11, 2006

I stayed at the Crystal Beach for a 3 nights over the last weekend in August. As hotels in O.C. go, you could do much much worse than this hotel.

I originally booked a side Ocean view room via the hotel's website for $189 a night at the beginning of August based on the many positive reviews I had read on tripadvisor. This was the only type of room and price the website showed as being available for my trip dates. The hotel has 79 rooms. I continued to check the website a couple times a week for other availability and prices. There were none. Then when I rechecked the website only one week before I was to arrive there were all these rooms which suddenly had become available, including Ocean Front , which had not ever been on the site for my trip dates during several previous weeks. It was as if a large group that had booked many rooms had just cancelled all of their reservations. I found all this sudden new availability to be very strange. I called and one of the owners upgraded me to Oceanfront for a rate of $229 a night.

The very next day a very negative review appeared on tripadvisor for this hotel and, along with all this sudden room availability, I started getting very nervous. I am allergic to mold, and I decided to handle this by calling the Hotel and I read the review directly to one of the owners. She told me I was outside the 72 hour cancellation policy and that I could still cancell without penalty. She also told me if when I arrived and looked at the assigned room and did not like it I would not be held to the reservation. I do not know if this was really true, but I think reading the review to her made an impact.

When I arrived at the hotel I was assigned to an Ocean Front room on the top (5th) floor which is non-smoking. The Ocean Front rooms do not have a sleeper sofa along with the 2 double beds like the side rooms; just the double beds. They are a bit smaller than the side rooms too but for two to four people it was fine and had plenty of room. The front view of the Boardwalk and the ocean was very nice and the balcony was large. The balconies are all the same size regardless of room location and can easily seat 3 or 4 people. Although you have an individual balcony, they really are not private if the people next to you are out on their balconies. For the most part, the people in the rooms next to me were not out on their balconies when I was, but if they had been I would have not enjoyed this balcony design as much as some other hotels from a privacy standpoint. On the other hand, because it is open, you have a very wide view up and down the O.C. boardwalk ocean around 25th street. That was nice.

I agree with some of the other comments here saying the rooms are rather plain, but they certainly are not tired and run down looking in any way. I would describe them as being a step down from a new Hampton Inn. However, no Hampton Inn I know of has a view like this. There was no mold of any kind in my room or anywhere else where I could see at the hotel. While the public areas of the hotel are very clean, i would give the cleaning service in my room a B+. It was good but not great. Also, the beds are on the hard side, and not that comfortable. They were acceptable, but I think this hotel could do better. The lighting in the room is just too dim at night, and I found myself wishing I had brought a pack of 100 watt light bulbs with me. That would have been very helpful in the evening, and the lamps can accomodate that wattage. I suggest you do that if you stay there. The kitchen area was adequate with a good sized small refrigerator, microwave, and storage space. There was no stove, dishwasher or utensils.

It is true there really is no lobby to this hotel. The front desk and check in area is the size of one the rooms if that. There were Security Cameras on every floor and you could see the view the cameras had behind the staff at the front desk. There are vending machines near the check in but no place to sit down. There is nothing of a lobby here like, for example, the Stoweaway Grand on 21st Street.

The pool is in front of the hotel next to the Boardwalk. It is kind of on the small size but with plenty of lounge furniture to lay out in the sun. The area around the pool has plenty of room and did not seem too crowded at all. The pool was very clean and I saw hotel staff cleaning it every morning before it was opened for the day. That is a plus.

There were problems with noise in the middle of the night on the Boardwalk even though this hotel is supposedly at the "quiet " end of the Bordwalk. Two of the three nights I was there the same group of 4 to 6 young adults ( not staying at the Hotel ) congregated at one of the benches on the Boardwalk and got very noisy around 1:00 to 2am. Yes, they were drinking. O. C. has a noise ordinance curfew in effect, and I did call the police the first night. I saw the police car drive up to the group the first night but they did not break up the partiers and the noise continued. I went to the front desk and Mike, the staff on duty checked out the situation and called the police on behalf of the Hotel. This time the police broke up the group. The second night it happened again I just went to the front desk right away and Mike again called the police immediately. There was no more middle of the night noise problems after that. I appreciated the Hotel's prompt attention to drunks on the Boardwalk disturbing their guests.

The adjacent parking garage was very convenient and always had plenty of room for everyone. There was never any time wasted with the annoyance of trying to find a place to park.

It is important to share that in talking with several other guests in the hallways and elevators, no one was disappointed in this hotel as an Ocean City property. People commented on its cleanliness, and one couple said they had checked out of a very dumpy motel nearby and that the Crystal Beach was the Plaza in comparison. Also, the elevators are modern and there is never a wait. Last summer I stayed at the Dunes Manor Hotel and the very slow elevators there were totally and completely unacceptable. Such a waste of time.

The first evening of my stay when I was in the hall near the front desk I overheard a conversation between one of the owners and some potential walk in guests who wanted to stay for only 2 nights. It was a pleasure to hear the various room rates quoted to these persons were all HIGHER than what I was paying for an Ocean Front room with an advanced 3 night reservation.
( I do not like it when walk ins get a better deal than people with advanced reservations who trust the hotel to give them the best available price. ) They decided to leave and look elsewhere and the rates were not dropped to get them to stay.

In closing, I will say that the hotel has responsible staff and owners who run things efficiently and professionally. There is no doubt about that. However, I have to say when I checked out I got the definate feeling from the owners that they could have cared less if I ever came back. As I checked out I thanked one of them who acted surprised someone would thank her and said bruscly "you are welcome". When I stood to the side of the front desk waiting to thank the other owner who was on the phone, I got the feeling i was annoying the first owner I had just thanked. When I thanked the second owner after she finished her phone call the first one said to me "I already said you are welcome." I found that comment to be strange. They aren't the most friendly people.

As to whether or not I would return, the jury is out on that one. If owners of a hotel act like they don't care if you stay there again or not in the future, should you?

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
13  Thank FairtoEveryone

Reviewed October 10, 2006

Good location, on the very end of the boardwalk, if you felt like walking a lot, you could walk to many shops and eateries, which might be good in busy times when parking closer to the boardwalk is difficult. This property has a parking garage, which is excellent. We stayed in an ocean front room which was very spacious and had an excellent view. Room was clean by beach hotel standards. When you first walk in you feel like everything is clean, but when you look closely into dark corners etc., you see that it could be cleaner. Hotel lobby is very small, and I could imagine that during the prime season, checking in/out and unloading all your beach gear could be a problem, but I don't really think that is a reason not to stay here. Same goes for the front desk staff, not the friendliest people, but then I don't need to be friends with every hotel desk clerk I meet.
Overall, pretty clean, good central location, good parking, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank jackdog24

Reviewed August 19, 2006

We checked out of the Seabonay 30 minutes after we got there and found this place! It was GREAT! The rooms have 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa and are in very good shape. They seem brand new. Our only problem was a broken alarm clark. Each room has a private balcony, but there's really no difference between Ocean View and Side View. Both have great views of the ocean. Of course they have Ocean Front rooms available too. It's at a great location at 25th Street, still on the boardwalk, but not too loud like some of the lower streets can be at night. Also Quizno's Subs right across the street. I would highly recommend staying at Crystal Beach! We loved it and can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank jrh179

Reviewed August 18, 2006

We just returned from 4 nights at the Crystal Beach Hotel. When we went in my daughter wanted to leave already, there was no lobby just a very small front desk and the front desk girls aren't so friendly.They don't have an automatic door so you have to try to hold the door open to get the luggage cart in while one of the boy hotel workers watch & laugh at you struggling to get everything in & not even offer to help hold the door open.. We had a ocean front room on the second floor. The view was nice but the room smelt horrible.There was black mold on the ceiling around the whole room. I had to go out & buy air freshner spray & spray the room at least 2-3 times a day. As soon as you get off the elevator the hallway has a musty & moldy smell, beware mold allergy sufferers. If you have back problems they will be worse in the morning, the beds are terrible. I told the front desk about people parking in the handicap parking spots that didn't have handicap tags & she asked if they had the crystal beach parking ticket in the window & I said yes but nothing was done about it. The same cars we're there for how many days. No I wouldn't go back. The place is hazardous to your health.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family