“Exceeded my expectations”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 9, 2010

A few days before our visit, I read the 2 bad reviews below and got more than a little freaked out. I can deal with alot of roadblocks on vacations but bugs in my room is not one of them. We even checked around for another place but nothing had any vacancy. So my sister call FSK and spoke to one of the owners about our concerns who assured us that we would not have a problem and I'm happy to say that she was right. Our room was very clean and I didn't see one bug-- not even an ant, during our entire stay (we stayed in the remodled New Jersey building). The rooms are far from fancy but I'd read enough on tripadvisor to know that ahead of time and we were ok with that. We were there for the pools and splashpad and were not disappointed. The ages of the kids in our group were 2, 7 and 10 and they all had a GREAT time enjoying all of those things. Considering the amount of kids there, I was happy to find the pools clean and most often not overcrowded (til saturday night but that's to be expected I think) and little details like fresh towels available. The diner there was cute but we got a bad waitress- she was nice but horribly lacking in experience- our whole section was being grossly neglected and breakfast took forever to get through. There was a male waiter who seemed to be much better; I wish we'd had him. My only complaint has nothing to do with the motel itself- I just hated where it was. Unfortunately that part of OC seems to attract a partcularly redneck-y crowd. I was awake both nights around midnight-1am listening to arguing and cursing loudly and even at the pool during the day had to listen to other patrons jovially but loudly calling each other certain slurs that I'd rather not have to hear on vacation. But that seems to be the crowd, as alot of that is on the boardwalk too. In all fairness, I could have called the front desk and maybe they'd have remedied the late night situation but it wasn't really worth it to me. The beach there on the southern end is gross too- dirtier and much more crowded than farther north, where I've stayed on other occasions. But this will come as no surprise to anyone who has stayed in southern OC, I would think. We did spend our last day at Assateague which I hadn't realized is only 12 minutes from the resort, and it was wonderful. I wish we'd gone there the day before as well.
As I stated my complaints were more about southern OC and not the resort but I wanted to mention it. Overall, the FSK was a great value for the money if you have small kids and I was very pleasantly surprised after reading some of the recent negative reviews.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nikkinicole
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2010

I can't tell you how happy I was to read this review. I truly believe that Tripadvisor is a great tool for guests to make their vacation hotel choices and I learn from each one. I am so pleased that this family had a good stay with us... We are working on the Diner so that our guests have the best customer service we can offer. My family loves Assateague as well...such a beautiful beach and I am still overwhelmed by it!

Thanks So Much!
Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed August 9, 2010

We loved FSK, didn't want to leave, and would return in a heartbeat. We stayed in an efficiency room that adjoined to indoor pool, arcade and laundry. Room was clean and had everything we needed, and the layout allowed for multiple private spaces for changing, grooming since the sink area was separate from the shower / toilet. Beds were very comfortable. Pool areas were great with my kids especially loving the indoor pool and I especially loving the hot tubs. Mini putt-putt was a nice perk and a nice way to get the family together without having to spend extra money. 50Diner was good - remember to get your wristbands on early so you can get the 10% discount. One night they served fresh baked mini-donuts that were wonderful!

Picnic pavilion offered a nice space to eat and we got to see a great lightning show during a storm one evening. Reservation area and adjoining rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. Property was well-kept.

Pirate ship spray park was great for little kids, but my 10 year old also spent several hours their and enjoyed it. Met a number of people who have been returning for many years and they say hotel keeps growing and getting better.

Outlet stores across the street offered another great way to spend time for the shopping lovers. Shuttle to beach was really convenient and I loved having access to the beach and the boardwalk while being able to retreat to the relative quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the hotel.

Only real inconvenience we ran into was the slow internet connection which was almost unusable between 10 - 11 pm. We worked around that by hitting the vending machines after 10 and I loved the frozen milky ways!

Laundry was very clean, convenient and VERY affordable. I really appreciated that the hotel truly offered this as an amenity, rather than trying to get more profit as the laundry service was very low cost compared to other places I've stayed.

Really great hotel experience!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam1964

Thank you for your kind words about the FSK.... We are still tweaking the wireless connection. We just upgraded three areas that were having bad connectivity and it is much improved but not perfect...yet. As we are 14 acres it is difficult to get the coverage we need and still keep it free for our guests. We will get there though! We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Pro's: 1. pretty good value overall for the money 2. lots of activities/options for adults and kids 3. quiet time enforced at 11pm so everyone can get some sleep 4. free shuttle to beach/boardwalk every 15 min 5. great customer service, everyone on site extremely helpful and pleasant 6. lots of dining options---diner on site with reasonable prices, starbucks next door, many restaurants (chains and local) nearby, groceries avail at Food Lion 5 min away 7. grounds kept impeccable

Cons: 1. had a rm with 2 dbls and pull out sofa with mini fridge but no micro---how much trouble would it be to have micros in a rm this big 2. poor free wireless internet capability but staff allowed use on as available basis of pc in sitting rm off main lobby 3. the rms are probably as clean as one can expect in a busy high volume beach resort---they have been updated somewhat but the design is still old 4. thin walls and ceilings----lots of transmitted noise from next door rms and those above

PS beach traffic volume is outrageous on Saturdays but getting to and from and enjoying the beach on any other day was no problem (we were there Thurs thru Mon)

1  Thank jfdomaha
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do have double beds in all our guest rooms as we feel is suits the family enviroment but I understand that queens may be more comfortable for some of our families. We do have 94 of our 232 rooms that have full kitchens including microwaves. We are planning to add a new guest laundry facility in the quad area and will have microwaves available for guest use.

I hope the mixed bag was mostly on the positive side. We hope to see your family again in the future!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

My friends and I had been going to Francis Scott Key for years but after this year we will not be back. We arrived for a 5 day stay, and were put in a room in the Carolina building, the carpet was damp and the room wreaked of mold or mildew. I called the front desk and they sent a housekeeper over to confirm the smell and she said it also wreaked of mold when she walked in. My friend is asthmatic and I didn't appreciate the fact that they would put anyone in that room at all. So then we were moved to another room for that night, which thankfully had no smell at all, and another room, for the following three nights. We were treated like an inconvenience for calling and asking about what kind of room we were going to be put in next, and when we were to move to another room and a front desk clerk came to give us our keys he didn't even offer to help us carry our bags despite the huge inconvenience of having to unload our things three different times. I think if anything they should've offered us even a free meal at the 50's diner for the inconvenience or something but they were non apologetic. They were irritated with us at the front desk for constantly having to request new keys until they finally sent someone up to find that the battery in our door lock was dead....There were cheesy cracker crumbs all over the floor when we were moved to our third room as well as ants in the sink, the vents on the ac were filthy, and our third room which was back in the Carolina building but on the second floor smelled musky and the carpet was damp as well. Two of us became very ill after our stay, though I know it is unfair to say for sure it was the hotel, I don't feel the quality of the rooms, smells, and dirty ac vents could've helped.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank KNKSnavely
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

I had the opportunity to gain valuable feeback from this long time guest by speaking with her on the phone this afternoon. Though we did have an issue with her room, how we handled the situation was far from the customer service she deserved. I am pleased that we will be able to show her the stay that her family and friends deserved on her next visit to the Francis Scott Key. We will use her input as a learning tool so that we can handle future situations with more perspective from the guest point of view!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Within the first 15 minutes of arriving and unloading our car, my husband killed a cockroach on the wall and left the remains for proof. It was 4 pm. I have read if you see one during the day, there is a huge infestaton. We were upgraded to another room in another building. There were ants and other bugs in that room. We stayed two nights and we had enough. We felt like there were cockroaches in that room as well. My husband spoke to other guests who have also seen them on the property. We did get most of our money back. I think we should have received a refund of the entire amount since this experience had ruined our vacation. We are now apprehensive to go to any hotel. We ended up at the Courtyard by Marrriot. It was a beautiful and clean hotel but we had trouble getting comfortable. For your information, the first room was quickly occupied. They claimed they did not see any roaches in that room. We did leave the remains of the roach on the wall. I have to say this was sad because our kids did enjoy the indoor pool and pirate ship water spray area. We were afraid to bring our belongings into our home. We left everything in the car and then let one of those roach insecticide "bombs" off. Then I had to wash all the clothes at the laundrymat. To this day, my husband feels like bugs are crawling on him.

3  Thank rx1997

I regret that this guest did not enjoy their stay with us. My husband and I both were involved with this guest and the pest contol issue in their room. When they called after midnight and said they had seen a trail of roaches on their guest room table our security staff member and Front office manager went to the room. They did not see anything on the table or surrounding area but sand and crumbs. We met with them the following morning. We refunded their money for the previous night and the next day without issue. We called our pest control (Erlich) and the roach that they said they left was actually a grasshopper. We also found two knats. I wish I could say that hotels never have issues with pest control but that is just not true.. We have and we will continue to stay on top of all issues. Our pest control provider assured us that we had no evidence of roaches in that room or surrounding area and we have had no complaints in that building to date. We are not perfect and will not claim to be but we truly do try and make our guests happy especially if they feel they had had an issue during their stay.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

This was our first stay at the Francis Scott Key and with my 10 month old. The room we booked was a remodeled one with a kitchen and it was immaculate and we loved it. The amenities that the hotel promises on the website are all accurate.. We LOVED the shuttle service and used it every time we went to the beach. There was never more than a 10 minute wait and with a baby this is a definite plus. My son loved the splash area and pools and i cant wait for him to get a bit bigger and take more advantage of the amenities that are here. I do wish that there was a gift shop.. i do not know why they do not have one because it is a missed opportunity and there are so many nice items online for sale.My only complaint is that the people who stayed above our room were sometimes loud, especially on our last night and it woke us up.. i was ready to go to the front desk but decided against it.

2  Thank mss114

Thanks your for your kind words. We know you have choices on places to stay and we appreciate that your family stayed with us. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

FSK is great for small families with small children. However, if you are looking for fun on your vacation, it's not the place to go, and if you are with a group of adults, go somewhere else.

My family was constantly reported as making too much noise. The problem is, they welcomed my family reunion of over 60 people to their motel, but placed us all on the second floor. We had nearly 30 children in total. They placed us over top other guests who were there with their babies and small families, and then complained to us that we were too noisy. What they neglected to acknowledge is that balcony floors are hollow, and therefore, just walking regularly sounded as if we were jumping up and down. My 2 year old, 25 pound granddaughter sounded like she weighed 150 pounds whenever she'd run around. The walls are thin so regular everyday sounds, coming from 60+ people, sounded far worse than they were.

Sometimes people reported that we were making noise when we weren't even there. We had to have a conversation with the owner in which she acknowledged that perhaps there was an intolerance by the other guests for our large group.

My group was not perfect - far from it. In fact, one person in our group got drunk and was taken to jail. I felt extremely embarrassed. The people in our group that were staying in the same building as the drunk were all kicked out as a result. As disappointed as I was, I had no hard feelings until the following night, I was accosted by a group of drunken FSK guests in which they accused me of hitting their car when I had come no where near their car. FSK security came and pointed out to the drunks that it was obvious no accident had occured. But the drunks insisted on calling the police on me. It was so distressing for me to be accused and accosted by a group of drunken men and women screaming at me about something that did not occur, yet the following morning, they were not kicked out of the hotel. Makes me wonder.

Next year, we will gladly give our money to a place that is built to handle real people on vacation with children, who are fair to all guests, and who have enough commonsense not to place a group of 60 over top someone's head knowing the structure of the building is poor. And that won't be FSK.

1  Thank carpediem628

I would like to respond to this posters comments by saying that their are several sides to a story. In the 20 years that my husband and I have owned and operated the FSK I have never had such issues with a family reunion or large group. From June alone we have had at least a dozen family reunions without issue.

This was a large family that was split into two buildings. They were not placed on the first floor as they booked in March and the first floor rooms had already been booked. Our noise issues began on Sunday with us receiving a few complaints that were resolved rather quickly. More then the noise issues we were receiving multiple complaints about unsupervised children and scooters racing through the property, kids jumping off the bridge at the pool and fights between family members. Our General Manager had to escort a four year old from the baby pool to search for his parent. Our Maintenance Manager had to escort a child from a second floor maid closet to find his parent.

After a second night of us receiving over 30 complaints from guests we met with the group leader the following morning. They were lovely people and very understanding. We explained that we wanted everyone to enjoy their stay and people have different levels of noise tolerance. I offered them to use the family lounge ot picnic pavillion if they wanted to gather as a group. They took care of the scooter issue. I also offered to give them their money back for the remaining nights and I would help them find other accomodations. They choose to stay and we felt the issue had been solved.

On the third day we were still dealing with the unsupervised children and as the evening progressed so did the noise and it escalated to the point of us having to call the State Police and an arrest was made.

The following morning we again spoke with the group leader and advised we had to ask the 8 rooms in the building where the issues were to leave. They were very understanding. We gave them their money back for the remaining two nights (though it was only one night because they were on the Budget special in which the 5th night is free). We called and made arrangements at a nearby hotel so they were not left without a place to go. We had to give the surrounding guests a free future night stay and $100 gift certificates to our Diner (totaling over $2000) .

This group had several of their family members that were looking for a place to enjoy their children and our amenities and they were fantastic guests. Unfortunatley their was also a section of the group that was looking for an adult vacation. We agree with this poster that the Francis Scott Key is not that place.