“Not what we expected, but nice experience”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #6 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was our first time stayiong at the FSK Family resort. My family had a nice time despite a few bumps in the road.
Pros:
Very family oriented
Lots to do from mini golf, pool, playground etc
Movies at night in the main building (loved this, not only did it get us out of the room at night but also added to the "family feel")
The indoor pool is great! My kids LOVED it!
A short ride to the boardwalk
The hotel is right across the street from the Tanger outlets and there are many restaurants in the area.
About 20 minutes after arriving we got a welcome call from the front desk asking if everything was ok.

Cons:
Ok the room...I know there are mixed reviews. If you are looking for modern or fancy, this is not the place for you. The rooms are quaint and "homey" We had a room with a kitchen which was very useful. Yes, like other review we did have a few bugs while we were there (spiders and such) But at a beach resort I wasn't turned off by this. The bath would fill up everytime we took a shower. Also if you want your sheets changed make sure you ask for them! We left a nice tip on the dresser because we felt bad that my son got a cut and bled on the sheet) Lo and behold same sheets were on that night. We later saw a sign that read sheets are only changed every 3 days unless you ask...every 3 days!
As for the pool, the first day it was perfect! The second day was a little more crowded and FREEZING then I noticed a lot of the slidong glass doors were open! This is maybe what some of the other reviews were talking about? When I asked the lifguard if we could close the ones right behind the shallow baby section he immediaetly closed them....only to be opened again by another guest a few minutes later...grrrr Not the hotels fault, but they shouldn't be allowed to stay open when its only 58 degrees outside.
Last but not least, if your child has asthma or allergies shower right after the pool. Our last night we ended our vacation with a trip to the Emergency room where my son was treated with albuterol. He was coughing and wheezing. The DR. said that places like this have such heavy amounts of chlorine that it can irritate the upper resp system. Again not really the hotels fault at all (I'm sure all public pools use the same amount) just not really the way we planned our last night :(
All in all my family had a great time, not sure I would come back in the off season though.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank your for your honest comments. I will touch on a couple of the issues this guest encountered. We do at times have guests that will open the sliders at the indoor pool and it will impact the air temperature. Guests that are not swimming tend to find the 84 degree temperature warm and do not realize how this impacts our swimmers. As far as the chorine levels in the pool, we blow our whistle every two hours to check chemicals as our load levels fluxuate. As a parent with a child with allergies we are sensitive to the reactions but we follow the protocal required. We, as most hotels do, only change our sheets every three days and each check out of course. We do this to conserve water/ energy but we will gladly change them daily is asked. It is true we are not modern or fancy but we do offer Temperpedic Mattresses in every guest room as we believe a good nights rest is important, all guest room furniture is less then three years old, all rooms have flat screen TVs and DVD players. We have ordered new bedding for 80 guest rooms for May of this year and we will be updating our walls and carpet in the next three to five rooms for all 232 rooms. As a property built in 1952 we are dedicated to improving every year, adding new amenities and at the same time keeping our pricing affordable for our families.

We hope that you will return when all our amenites are open in the summer!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was our first time staying at FSK Family Resort. We loved it! We vacationed with 4 other families and a great time was had by all. The indoor pool was awesome. We enjoyed playing mini-golf, basketball, and on the playground. The location was perfect. All of the staff members were pleasant and the lifeguards were engaged with the children. The rooms were clean and the beds were cozy. No complaints here! :) We will be back again for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie P

It is great when groups, neighborhoods and families all come together and enjoy each others company and our family resort. We hope that you all visit us again soon!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We have stayed at FSK twice now and are planning another trip this summer. It's small enough to be cozy but big enough that there is plenty to do. We have come both in summer and in the off season when only the indoor pool was available and the kids still had a great time. So close to the outlets and boardwalk, you really can't beat it, and so affordable. I recommend it to all my friends looking for a little family getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kelly B

We love our return guests..Thank you for choosing us! We believe we are an affordable option for families to re-connecy all four seasons!

See your family soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Took advantage of the locals special to enjoy a family weekend away for our daughter's birthday. Rooms are a bit dated and smelled a little musty. Indoor pool was awesome for the kids even though the water was a bit cold. Locals deal is great. Four wristbands and a free pizza. Will definitely come again.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Kellam21853

Thank you for your comments. We believe we offer a great value to all our guests but especially for our locals. An off season staycation is just what is needed sometimes to excape the crazy winter weather we have been having!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was looking for a fun place to take my girls for a "daddy daughter weekend" while Mommy was out of town....I found FSK resort online and was impressed with the indoor water park and reasonable rates...I was a little worried that a lot of reviews talked about the age of the rooms and the noise level in the rooms. When we checked in the staff were GREAT...The room was spotless (and had nice beds)....The pool was clean, fun, and awesome. The hot tub (for adults only) was GREAT!!! Once we got back to the room for bed time, I did hear the noise but...What do you expect in a hotel FILLED WITH KIDS!!!!! It was not bad and there was not anything that would keep tired kids awake!! THEY WERE OUT!!!!! Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Pick a room towards the back off season (closer to the pool) In the middle on season (closer to all...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom L
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

I love this review...maybe a new tradition has started. Mini vacations are a great way to make some memories and we are so pleased you were able to do so...

See you again soon...

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to the resort this past weekend was great! The indoor pool was a big hit with my 6 year old daughter. It was hard to get her to leave. Glad to see the water was shallow enough in the kiddie area to splash around with my 7 week old as well! The beds were pretty comfortable although I do wish they weren't double beds. But not a deal breaker. The area is great, right across from the Tanger Outlets as well as eating establishments like Applebee's, Chik-fil-a, Wendy's and Outback steak house. Hope to return in season to enjoy more that the resort has to offer. Also all staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and always had a smile to greet u. We had a clogged toilet and called for repair. The maintenance man came right away. Good job by all!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank rsdani319

We love that your family found our indoor pool a hit! This has been a long winter and a nice getaway sometimes is just what is needed! We are surrounded bu many great restaurants both chain and locally operated. We are blessed with a great staff...

Thanks for the kind words!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Main attraction is the pool for the kids.. the pool was cold when we got there. We could not stay in and enjoy what we came there for. I was so upset that we left the resort shortly after checking in. The rooms there are cozy, but it took hours to warm up.
This is in March. I will not stay there during off season times ever again. I would recommend staying at a hotel with an indoor pool that is connected/inside the building.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda C
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

I have waited to respond to this post as our General Manager had emailed them prior to the post informing them of a full refund and I emailed them after the post appeared on TripAdvisor. It is always my intention to speak or email with any guest that was not satisfied as it is very impersonal using TripAdvisor to communicate. As we have not had a response I am replying here. Our indoor pool is not internally connected to our buildings as the Francis Scott Key has grown from 60 rooms when my father purchased it to 232 rooms in 2014. We have tried to grow and adapt our property by adding amenities and upgrades to give our guests the best affordable experience possible. Our indoor pool is air heated with a temperature of 84/85 degrees. This winter with extreme temperatures we did at times have issues maintaing that degree as we are all glass building. Guests at times open the sliders throughout as spectators they are hot not realizing if effects the overall temperature. The comment that is is March is true and as I respond to this we still have about two inches of snow left of the five we received on Tuesday. A crazy winter and beginning a spring to say the least. It is always our goal to satisfy our guests and if their is an issue we try to rectify it in any way possible. At times that requires a full refund, which this guest received. I hope that we will be given the opportunity in the future to have this family return to the Francis Scott Key and have the getway they deserve.