“We had a great time!!”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our first stay, many friends have stay and told us how great it was. We came down for 2 nights April 1-April 3. I read the reviews online and some of them scared me a bit, But when we arrived everyone was so nice, the indoor waterpark was great, playground and golf. We love that they had movies at night something to keep the kids busy( the also have games, books, computer and dvd for you to use all FREE) They were able to give us a room on the first floor due to my husband being blind steps are very hard, (many hotels will not do this for us) My only problem is when you enter your room there is a musty smell, but once we turned the air and fan it did not bother us. Thanks for the great time , We will be back again thanks

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank msmuz
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write. Tripadvisor is a great tool for guests to get feedback from other families. Though we may not be a perfect fit for everyone we will do our best, when notified of a guest complaint, to fix an issues. When we do receive constuctive critism I always try to find out the complaint first hand either from our comment cards or online. Many times, not always, guest issues could have been handled while on property and maybe changed the entire experience.

We are so pleased that your family enjoyed their stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Annemarie DIckerson

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I really enjoyed the hotel! The customer service was really great, and for me that sometimes makes or breaks my stay at resorts or hotels. My girls had a blast in the pool! The lifeguards were very attentive. Our room was perfect for the four of us, not crowded at all( well the bathroom was a little tight) even with a crib (which was provided for free). The only thing about our room that I didn't care for was the back door. It didn't lock well and it made me uncomfortable, my 2 year old could open it, even when it was locked. The beds were awesome! I didn't want to get up in the morning. Slept great! There were so many free things to do with the kids like miniature golf, movie rental and books and board games. My daughter loved watching Wreck It Ralph in the Lounge and eating the popcorn which was also free. All in all it was a great family getaway, can't wait to come back again. The only thing I would say would be to check the pool times, I did not realize the pool didn't open the next morning til 12, that was a little disappointed, because we couldn't stay, but my own fault for not checking ahead of time. I really enjoyed this place and cannot wait to take my kids back again so we can try out everything your hotel has to offer!

Room Tip: if you are there for the indoor pool, you will want to request a room closer to the indoor pool, we...
2  Thank jiwdurando

Thank you for your comments. I am assuming the building was the Delaware as it is the only one with back doors and I will have them check for safety. We are so glad that your daughters loved their stay. Francis Scott Key...where kids rule!

See you soon

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Website showed a lovely facility. Outside of the pool, there is very little to like about this hotel. Our room had a terrible musty odor. My girlfriends soon had two asthma attacks during our stay of three nights. There is a lake/swamp? On the property. We attempted to fish in it only to in counter large rats! I honestly couldn't believe it! My son was ok, but my GF son was very upset. I was told by the front desk that they are not rats but some other type of rodent. what's most upsetting is that we could have stayed at the Holiday Inn on the boardwalk for a few bucks more. There was also a steady flow of unsavory individuals on the property itself. I'm a large well built man, but being in this type of environment with my family still made uncomfortable. My thirteen year old son who is a black belt in Muay Thai Karate and a serious wrestler was asking me to "Get the hell out of this dump" by the second night. This is not a place for decent families. I have NO IDEA how this place ended up ranked number nine on trip advisor. Maybe on Hillbilly. com! Never again!

• Stayed: March 2013
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I had the opportunity to speak with this guest today and I appreciate that he took the time to give me his perspective. We realize that we can not be a good fit for all guests and when we are not it is important to me that we address guest issues. When speaking with the guest he did inform me that other then our fishing pond he did not make any complaints to our staff. I did personally inspect the guest room and I did not notice a musty smell but we did days prior to this guests arrival have new carpets installed and I did mention that perhaps that was the odor. If we are notified of an issue we will do whatever possible to fix it, move the guest or if we can't resolve the issue help them find other accomodations. I have offered to assist this guest when they return to Ocean City in any way possible.

To address the other comments we do not have large rats in our pond. It is a small pond that is stocked with fish and we offer fishing rods for our guests. We have had possoms and other natural water animals from time to time. Also, we do have families in all shapes, colors and sizes and we love the diversity of our guests. That being said if a guest is loud or making others uncomfortable we will do our best to handle the situation quickly when notified.

If the guest room was not cleaned properly I have no excuse or explanation for that. It is not acceptable and would have been addressed ASAP. We are not a luxury hotel but we are clean and that is a top priority.

As I have stated before, we have in the last 10 years begun the transformation of the 1950's roadside motel of 60 units to a 232 family resort. We are dedicated to make our guests happy at an affordable rate and to hopefully give them Ocean City memories to last a lifetime.

I promise that the constructive criticism we received is not lost. We will take this guests concerns and work to make sure it is a lesson learned.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second trip to Visit the Francis Scott Key Resort in Ocean City.. It is such a wonderful place for families.. The staff is so friendly and helpful, the customer service is always top rate weather it be on the phone or in person. I would recommend to hotel to everyone.. The first time we went we stayed in a standard room, which was very nice comfy bed and very clean... Our most recent trip we upgraded to a room with a kitchen, it was wonderful.. They had everything we could have needed available to us.. They offer free video rental, free mini golf, and a wonderful indoor and out pool adventure.. I just can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel and it's staff. We just got back yesterday and are already getting rates to return in the next few weeks.. I forgot to mention they are right across the street from the outlets... The grounds of the hotel are very well kept as is the pool area, you always see staff members in site and they are always willing to help.. We will only use this resort in Ocean City....

Room Tip: rooms away from the pools are quieter.. No elevator so might want 1st floor.. Great place to stay...
1  Thank Claire G
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Wow! Thank you so much! We are blessed with an incredible staff. It makes our job so enjoyable watching families making memories together! We will see you again soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our third time visiting FSK, and as usual it was a great time. The customer service you receive is excellent. We stayed in one of the kitchen rooms, which has everything that you need to make a small or large meal. Had a great time at the pool and love the concession stand. Usually we are to busy at the pool to take advantage of the other things they offer, but this time we were able to play a great game of free mini golf. The family movie times are great. For a family looking for a great time on a budget I highly recommend FSK. I will definitely be back again!

1  Thank 964KatieH

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Our family movies nights are a great way for our younger guests to wind down after a fun day of swimming. We hope that we get to see your family again soon!

SIncerely

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was staying at FSK a zero cost due to being there for the wedding of a friend so im not Bothered due to cost issues. Thatbeing said, The first thing I noticed was an unbelievably overwhelming mustiness and mildewy smell in the room I was staying which was in the Maryland building, Rm 118. There was also an open package of used soap on the sink. The first thing I did was turn the heat down and turn the ceiling fan to high to try to demustify the room but that didn't work...so I was resigned to having my clothes smell musty.

On my second night, I went over to the concession stand to buy some food. I left 15 minutes later and I felt I had received a chlorine bath...my eyes burned from the chlorine fumes in the air and I felt like my lungs and nose were slightly scorched from those fumes.

My only other complaint is the remarkably slow wifi. I'll concede that this is a small complaint but if a business is going to advertise Wifi, it should have Wifi that handle the load of so many devices...and this was winter so imagine how it will be in the summer. It was so slow I just went ahead and used the 3G on my phone.

Overall, my stay was okay although the horrid mustiness of the room was a deal breaker for me. Unless this room is just a rare occurrence, I don't think I'll come back should I return OC.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank WxGuesser

We are sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. We do not have a room 118 but I did try and go back and see if we had and housekeeping issues from the Maryland building recently but I don't know when this stay occured. I apologize that the room was not in order upon arrival but I can guarantee that when notified we would try and rectify any issues or change rooms if possible. We are very detailed about our chlorine readings and empty the pool every two hours to do checks. It is very important as our bathing loads can be extremely high on the weekends and we take it very seriously. Ocean City has many wonderful choices in where to stay and if the Francis Scott Key is not a perfect fit I would be happy to help find a more suitable property. If you do decide to come back please contact me directly and I will oversee your stay!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We LOVED our vacation to Francis Scott Key last year, We stayed in the section by the fishing pond and Pavilion. Our kids never had so much fun!! It is a vacation in itself with the indoor kids pool with all the waterfalls the slide and awesome Pirate theme decorations. The Huge splash pirate ship was a favorite of my 3 year old! it has slides, dumping buckets water spraying everywhere! The put put golf is nice to take a break from the water, there is also a basketball and vollyball court, an outdoor swimming pool beside the putput with a refreshment bar, alongside the pool is an adult hot tub where you can grab a drink and relax while your oler kids swim or play a round of put put. Although the rooms may not be huge, we didn't find them to be a big downfall as we didn't spend that much time there anyway. The beds were a little small and I would like to see them upgrade to Queen size. They had craft time at the Pavillion by the fishing lake that my boy's really loved! We didn't eat in the Diner since it was always closed when we tried to go, it closes too early in my opinion. The most important thing is our children LOVED it there, they still talk about how much fun it was and my 3 year old asks if we can go back to play on the Pirate Ship so as a mother, that is MORE important than if the room is a little "outdated" or not a huge suite, if it is updated, it's just a added plus to our stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

We love to hear that our younger guests want to return! That is a success in our book. As we have stated we have been bringing a 1950's roadside 60 room motel to a 2013 fun affordable resort. In the last 10 years we have added the indoor pool, fitness room, guest laundry, arcade, putt putt, pirate ship, playground, basketball and volleyball area and contineous bus shuttles. We have just completed all 232 rooms with new guest room furniture, flat screens, carpet, art work, bedding and light fixtures. All cabins have been gutted and are looking amazing. We still have to address the wall boards and bathrooms and that is up for the next couple of winters along with other projects. We are dedicated to continue to upgrade and hopefully entertain our families for years to come. We appreciate your business as we know you have choices!

Thank you!