Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #6 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had been researching the hotel for a couple of Weeks before deciding on my stay. I brought my 7 year old and her bff. they had a marvelous time. there was so much for them to do on the property that when we went to the board walk they were ready to come back to the resort for the indoor pool! the only problem I experienced was on the first day I had alot of flies in my room for some reason. I managed to kill them then all was fine. I went to use a couple of plates and they all had dried spaghetti sauce on them. I don't blame management for that one I do blame nasty guests. hopefully God willing I will be back next year, there was so much I didn't get a chance to see!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank toshanna
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

We are so pleased that you were able to spend your vacation time with us. It is great when we hear that their was so much to do that you ran out of time. Hopefully we will see you again next year and solve that problem!

Thanks for writing!
Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We chose the Francis Scott Key Family Resort for our 4-day Labor Day weekend stay because of its high rating (#10) on Trip Advisor among hotels in Ocean City, MD. This was definitely not what we had expected, based on what its website boasts and how highly it was rated on Trip Advisor.

We selected a family size suite in one of the "Ranch" buildings at the "resort", because our daughter is handicapped and these were the buildings that FSK described as "accessible". Getting in and out of the room was fine; definitely accessible for those in wheelchairs. The room was NOT what we had expected...

2 full size beds, about 2ft away from each other, and not much space in the room. There's a sleeper sofa also. We never opened it, because I can't imagine how a family could have that open and still have room to walk. There was a nice sized refrigerator in the room, which was a definite plus. The TV was old and fuzzy; the cable was not reliable. There was a DVD player built into the TV, which was a life saver considering the cable was fritzy and barely visible. The bathroom was pretty small for a handicapped accessible bathroom. While there were plenty of safety bars to grab onto, there were no floor treads in the tub and both of our kids slipped multiple times while trying to shower. The shower head was tiny and the water pressure was not so great at all. We were definitely disappointed in the size of the bathroom and the size of the room. For the rate that we paid, we had expected a "suite" as it was described. A loud AC unit that gave our entire family sore throats and allergies, a tiny table with two chairs, and a musty room were not our idea of a "suite".

I'm not sure why they call this place a "resort". They talk about their indoor and outdoor water parks on their website, as well as their mini golf. I think people should know what these attractions are REALLY like...

The pirate "sprayground" was AWESOME. The kids loved it. It had multiple water slides, and all sorts of water attractions like a mushroom and dumping buckets of water. There was a giant pirate ship that the kids could play on and enjoy. This is by far the best, and probably only, attraction of the resort. Everything else, I could've done without.

The outdoor pool is just that: a measley pool, that didn't look too inviting. No water slides. No activities for the kids to do by the pool or in the pool. Just an in ground pool with some pool chairs. The mini golf was lousy. It was 18 holes packed into a tiny space, and it was lackluster. The area definitely needs some attention. We all found it to be very boring and mundane. We should have paid the money to go play some exciting mini golf on Coastal Highway. The indoor "water park" was a pool with one small water slide about the size of a swing set slide, a hot tub attached, and a few small features within the pool. We were expecting an indoor water park, with many slides. This was a disappointment, for sure.

This place is far too expensive for what they offer. It needs many, many upgrades.

If you still intend on staying there, don't expect they will vacuum your room. Housekeeping basically comes in, makes the bed with your dirty sheets, replaces your dirty towels with clean ones, and leaves. They didn't vacuum once, clean the toilet or sink or shower/tub, or anything else. I was really disappointed with this also. This is not the type of service we had expected.

For almost $700 for 4 nights, we will never stay here again. And we will absolutely not recommend this place to anyone else. It's a waste of money. You're better off paying the same amount to stay on the boardwalk and just enjoy the beach. This is a tiny step up from a motel, and we couldn't wait to leave this grimy place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brandi S

I realize that we can't please everyone but it still disappoints to read the negative perceptions. We are not and never claim to be an upscale resort. It is my belief that we offer an incredible value for our families and we strive to improve every year. No our mini golf is not what you would pay for in stand alone for profit courses in Ocean City. We added four new features and we will be replacing all the greens in the spring as we have to do nearly every season. That being said we have hundreds of people that use our course daily. The outdoor pool is described accurately. It was built in 1986 and is a nice but older pool with a baby pool and hot tub along with a pool bar. About 10 years ago we began a mission to improve our amenities and try and give families a nice vacation experience. Since then we have added the indoor theme pool (and 20 guest rooms), the pirate ship spray ground, the picnic pavillion, the playground and mini golf, the additional shuttle van, the renovation of the Main Lodge with famly lounge and movie nights and the RT 50 Diner. We are also updating guest rooms and are currently in the process of adding flat screens and DVD players to all guest rooms. We also offer a free DVD library for guest use and recently upgraded our WIFI. Most properties for energy conservation do not change sheets daily but we will gladly if asked. If the cable was an issue we could have had maintenance check the line and would easily be fixed. If this poster was expecting the Great Wolf Lodge we are not that for sure....but I honestly believe we do offer more then the average motel. If this poster would like to contact we directly I am available at 1-800-213-0088.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place isn't designed to please a those looking for luxury, updated furniture, or trendy. It knows it purpose is to keep the parents happy by wearing out the kids with all the fun they can handle. And they are very good at that. They please the parents with very good customer service and a large clean room.
Every kid there was smiling, because the spray ground was huge and well designed, as well as the indoor pool which is more playground than pool. You can't stay at the beach all day, and with this hotel you might actually forget there's a beach only 1 mile away.

Room Tip: no elevator,so second floor might be hard on some older guests
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dewey2cats

Thank you for the review. It is true we are not a luxury property but we do try and give our families an affordable clean and fun vacation experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family decided to go somewhere we had never been before for our family vacation. We decided on Ocean City, MD. I was looking online at ratings for hotels and resorts and I stumbled upon an ad for Francis Scott Key Family Resort. I have a toddler and a teenager, and to find somewhere for them to stay and have a good time is a hard task! This resort has something for everyone, from the indoor pool to the outdoor pool, the arcade and the putt putt course. They are in a great area, not too far from the beach and they even offer a free shuttle ride to the beach constantly throughout the daytime. I had no complaints and won't hesitate to stay there when we go back. We even left our daughters brand new baby doll, and once I contacted Lisa, the housekeeping supervisor, she offered to mail it to me for a minimal fee. My daughter was very happy to see her baby doll three days later. Thanks for a great stay FSKFR.

Room Tip: The rooms with the kitchenettes saved a lot of money on meals because we didn't have to eat out...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hilarya93
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We are so happy that you choose Ocean City as your vacation destination. Between all the things a family can do here on property for free plus the free events and family fun OC has to offer I believe we are the perfect family destination. Can't wait until we see you on your second trip !!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed at Francis Scott Resort 5 days. I had a good time! Check-in was pretty fast, front desk person very informative. Sorry, I can't remember her name. Anyway, I stayed in a room that hadn't been updated with a flat screen & blah blah.. But it was okay. The room was clean, not sparkling but clean. (I noticed a few ants) However, there are several things to do on the resort and surrounding! I was surprised & pleased. My kids loved it & asked to go back! Oh, maintenance was superb... Locked my keys in my car & they out in 5 minutes! Toilet was clogged, unclogged in 5 minutes! Thank you....

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Venus222

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you had maintenance issues but pleased we responded quickly and fixed the problem. We are in the process of adding flat screens to all our guest rooms along with DVD players. We are trying to continue to upgrade all areas of our prpoerty while keeping the rates family affordable.

See your family soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the 2012 Ocean City Half Marathon. As soon as I walked in, the room smelled of smoke and urine. In the evening, when we were getting ready for the next day, I noticed ants ALL OVER the sink area, bathroom and even crawling on the alarm clock by my bed. I did not sleep well, thinking about what ants would be crawling on me that night. Also, the floors were dirty and felt sticky. I would not walk barefoot at all here.

I initially did not comment, thinking maybe I just got a bad room, but from reading other reviews, my experience was not uncommon.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Wolfewoman75

It is difficult to respond to a review that is from four months ago. The marathon weekend in April is our first big sell out weekend of the season. I am not in any saying that these issues did not happen, I just wonder if we were given notice to rectify the situation. We are a non smoking property and we do charge a room recovery fine but people do on occasion smoke in guest rooms. We have ionizers and when possible we will have the room steam cleaned if time allows. We do have all guest rooms professionally steam cleaned in a cycle thoughout the year. The comment about reading other reviews being negative is a question to me. We have had 59 reviews from the beginning of June. Of those 59, 50 were either rated 4 or 5. We have had only four 1 or 2 rated reviews. We are consistanly ranked in the top 15% of all 105 properties in Ocean City. We will never be perfect but it is how we respond to our errors that I strive to be our very best. If this poster would like to contact to me I would love to speak with them.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was our second stay at Francis Scott Key. We stayed in an efficiency with a full kitchen. The room was very clean and comfortable. We were supplied with more towels than any other hotel we stayed in. I like the spacious grounds. Plenty of parking. Great activities are all included in the price of the room. We found the staff to be friendly, efficient and always ready to help. Our TV didn't come on and maintenance was there in minutes and took care of the problem. There was also a follow up call to be sure the problem was solved. Check in and out was fast and easy. We were in the Florida building at the back of the property. It was peaceful and quiet. We like to visit Assateaque State and National parks. The location couldn't be better. It's a quick drive to beautiful beaches and wonderful wildlife. Next year we are planning on staying with our children and grandchildren. They will love the pirate ship and indoor splash pool. Very safe and secure site.I found the price to be very reasonable for the amenities included. The onsite restautant has been recently renovated in the origional 50's theme. It was a fun place to visit with a great staff. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: To save money spend a little more and book the efficiency units with a kitchen.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcs2100
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for writing. We love Assateague Island as well...what a gem! We look forward to having your family back and making some more Ocean City memories!