“I really want to like this place”

Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed April 10, 2012

First off I want to say that I really wanted to like this place. They respond to each review and pay attention to their guests. There are just some things I couldnt overlook. Check in was fast and great. My son (2 in July) loved the indoor pool. The pool got really crowded (Easter weekend AND numerous birthday parties). Once the pool got crazy, the life guardes stood up so they could see the children better. One employee was even playing with my son, throwing a beach ball back and forth with him. Staff is top notch. The pool had a whale in the 6inches of water, it is old and some pieces have fallen off of it, needs to be replaced.(no biggy) On to my real complaint, the room. Walls are paper thin, people around seem to not watch their children and let them run up and down the halls. My son was woken up a good 4 times by either the person upstiars watching tv until 130am or someone running up and down the halls. Either way, it was way tooo noisy for me to even sleep. Just imagine a 1 year old with no sleep, it makes for a misarable vacation. We tried on Sat to take a nap, he was once again woken up several times. I was at the point where i almost checked out and went home. The minor issues with the room, the oven is not kid safe. My son could open the door, touch the knobs and all. The only thing I would want is a locking oven. I didnt use the oven but knowing he could open it if I turned my back for 1 second is unsettling. I might be able to give this hotel a chance in a cottage, only have someone next to me. But I will never stay in the hotel rooms ever again. I was disappointed to find out that the resturaunt was closed until Memorial weekend. Nothing was mentioned on their website (unless I missed it) So the staff gets an A+, the room is self gets an F but overall the property can be nice, just needs some updates. Good concept.

Room Tip: If you dont care about noise levels, then you are ok. Maybe get a room on the 2nd floor, end unit wh...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank erinhatfield12
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

We want you to like it also! We had some good problems over the two weeks of Spring break. We had the busiest 14 day period by a longshot for any March or April time span. When we built the indoor pool we offered the pool parties to help fill the area and spread the word about our new addition as we offer local packages to families within 60 miles of our resort. This year we suspended parties on Saturdays as we have been busy. Because of the growth we have experienced we have decided that we will no longer offer weekend birthday parties as of April 30th. You brought a valid point and I will check and see if they make child locks for the ovens that we could offer for guest use. In the off season the main draw is the indoor pool and the traffic in the Florida building first floor can be overwhelming. Again another valid point and perhaps having sleep sound machines available could be helpful. Please contact me directly as I would love to speak to you about your concerns.

There are newer reviews for Francis Scott Key Family Resort

Reviewed April 6, 2012

The Francis Scott Key Family Resort is the most family-friendly hotel we have stayed at away from the boardwalk! We venture to OC twice a year - usually Spring Break and Summer just before school begins. During the spring we like to stay on the boardwalk because it is not crowded and we love to walk alot. But during the summer, we love the FSK for several reasons: the rooms are spacious and clean, plenty of parking, lots of activities for kids of all ages, free shuttle to the boardwalk, etc... Our teens love the shuttle service, and since they have cells phones, we let them travel as a group and they love the freedom! The pool does get crowded at times and the room has an echo, but we let the children decided if they feel comfortable staying or choosing another activity. Lots of room for bikes and skateboards, too. The guest laundry is in the same building with the pool, so I can do our laundry before we go home while the kids are swimming. The exercise room is right there, also. The restaurant in the main bldg. is cool - a 50's theme, and our son loves the cartoons at the table (dvd player looping). The proximity to the shopping center, restaurants, gas station, and other amusements is great - withing walking distance. The kids love walking to Baja Amusements and allow us to tag along with $$ - we are so lucky... Mione's has the best pizza ever! The only negative thing I can say is a few years ago we stayed in May when the car cruisers were in town and taking up the parking, etc. One or two inconsiderate cruisers revved up their extremely loud and annoying engines late at night and early in the morning, which caused me a few headaches (I really need some peace from 12AM-6AM... silly me...). Of course this was no fault of the hotel, only the rude guests, which can happen anywhere. Needless to say, we love the FSK and will keep coming back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mom2matt

Thanks for your great review! We do try and have something for everyone here and I love when I hear teenagers enjoyed their stay! We have added new fitness room equipment and a new laundry facility! Hope to see your family soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My family and I made what we hoped to be an annual trek to the Francis Scott Key resort for Spring Break. I guess we should have known it could not top our last experience. For those that haven't read my previous review, check it out. Once again the room was neat and clean, this time we opted for a full kitchen so we could do some of our own meals. Check in was a breeze and the property is clean with lots to do. Unfortunately lots of other peeps had the same plan. The hotel was packed with some loud and rowdys. The pool was over crowded and some of the kids were really rough. My son got hurt twice and the kids didn't really have any room to swim around. Last year I couldn't get them out of the pool, this week they were done after about and hour or so. We couldn't get a table to sit at and chairs were scarce as well. Clean towels were readily available and the life guards were nice and courteous. Our second day we had a nice lunch by the lake and fed the geese and turtles, the kids loved that. The pool once again was over crowded and wifi wasn't working, at least not for my kindle fire. Our last night we couldn't even find a parking space near our room and cable died in the middle of a movie we were watching. On the up side, they offered several family movie times with free popcorn but we were not able to attend any of them. We did get a free movie rental of the new Smurfs movie and each room has a DVD player. The beds are comfy with lots of pillows. Rooms are clean and smelled fine (I've read reviews that the rooms were musty but ours was fine). We played the free mini golf course and played volley ball in their sanded volley ball court. There is also a nice play area and picnic/grilling area. The lake is quiet and peaceful and there is an area for kids to ride their bikes. I guess it is good for them that it was so busy but they just don't have the pool space to accommodate a full hotel. My suggestion would be to expand the indoor pool area so there could be more pool space and more seating, maybe some more slides and toys. Our second day, they had removed the floating toys so there was nothing but the dumping water and small slide. The pool is really geared to young ones, upgrading would keep my 8 and 11 year old happier. Their favorite thing about the pool last year was the snake in the middle that they spent hours climbing on, swimming under, over, around... This time it was some fake logs and they couldn't get close to it there were so many kids and then it was gone, probably to make space for all the peeps. I guess this is what happens when you have such a great experience, nothing will ever live up to it again.

Room Tip: the full kitchen was nice because it had an oven and full fridge. We stayed in OHIO which was walki...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MomofTwo0516
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write. Wow...what a spring break. We have been blessed with having an incredible spring break this year. Our local schools have been out for this past week along with great weather and other areas out at the same time made for quite a busy week here at the Francis Scott Key. With growth we need to adapt and some key improvements for the guest experience will be made. Since we opened our indoor pool we have done pool parties for our local families. This past year because we have been steadily busy we eliminated Saturdays. We have decided that we have grown to where we hoped we would eventually get to with hotel guests and we will no longer be hosting any scheduled birthday parties next season on weekends or holiday weeks. We also added movie times throughout the week that we are going to extend as well. We are also updating five of our putt put holes and doing repairs as we to debut on April 20th. Growth can cause some hicups and we are dedicated to make changes where we can. I hope your famiy comes back and we can knock it out of the park for your stay!

Thanks for your honesty!

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Francis Scott Key Resort was actually a great experience for the family...everyone was as friendly as expected. The rooms were very clean,the only thing that really turned the family off was their was no microwave to heat the free pizza, we had recieved from the front desk...:) later that night..even though cold works for me! Being our first time there,the outlets across the street were a lil under construction but still managing to stay open to serve us.. They had really great local eating spots which were all family oriented.This was actually a great getaway for the family..I would recommend this location to anyone..We as a family can't wait to come back with more of the family..My twin girls that are four really enjoyed themselves..Even learned how to swim while we were there...Thanks again..please just give them a try guarantee you'll enjoy..thanks again the JOHNSON FAMILY!!

Room Tip: first floor across from the Florida...room2417
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lakisha W
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

We are so pleased you had a nice family weekend! Our locals package rooms that include the free pizza do not have kitchens but we do have 90 rooms that do! We are also adding microwaves for guest use in our new laundry facility that is centrally located to the rooms surrounding our quad! We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Hi everyone:) Even though its freezing outside here in Delaware my family and I are super excited knowing that we reserved our rooms at Frances Scott Keys Family Resort:)today:) Because my son having Autism and balance isnt the best and my leg conditions having all of us on the same floor is a Godsend so I can walk out of my room and see my other sisters and their families every morning:) its our own family reunion. Im praying we can all be on the lower floor(myself and another sister already are) but my oldest sister who makes the reservations is on the top floor :(but I know that FSK's amazing reservation specialist will work something out for our family:) Because I am low income this trip is always the highlight of our summer. I dont get out much so this is the best time to spend time with my sisters going to the boardwalk that is a few minutes away with the amazing convenience of FSK's Shuttle service that goes to and from the Boardwalk every half an hour!! Love that and it drops us right off at the entrance of the boardwalk, my son for years has called it "the shuttle bus" mommy:) Restaurant on the premise and outlets across the street and everyone at FSK is so nice and friendly which is so refreshing:) My son has been talking about FSK resort since Christmas lol now he wants mommy to get out his swim trunks lol Wow I just thought of something:) Alex is 17 and we have been coming to FSK resort since he was around 6! This is an amazing year for him, he will be 18, graduates high school:) AND is going to Frances Scott Keys Resort with his loving family:) The rooms are clean and decorated in happy colors and when you have autism you are aware of everything and he is super happy everytime we come! We will be there!! with Swim trunks and bathtowels in hand!! Anyone who has never been to FSK resort, please go and experience what brings our family back year after year and the neat thing is that we add a person or two each year we come:) Have an Amazing Happy Summer! p.s. Guess what! my son STILL has all of our anket/bracelets from the first time we came to Frances Scott Keys Resorts and all the brochures for each year:) too cool:)

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice and clean and the housekeeping really do a great job with the upkeep f...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Leslie D
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

We are excited to see your family as well. Please contact me directly and I will oversee the process to get your rooms on the first floor! We have a new snack bar opening in the swimming pool along with a new laundry facility for our guests. Thanks for taking the time to write and thank you for chossing the Francis Scott Key!

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed in a newly remodeled kitchen room with a sleeper sofa. We are a couple with three boys 9-14 and had extended family in two other rooms with a baby a 4-year old and a 7-year old. Everyone enjoyed it. The first thing the kids commented on when we went in the room were the awesome beds. Even the sofa bed had a memory foam cushion and was great. We liked the indoor pool and adults only hot tub, but we stayed over president's Day weekend and it was packed to capacity or more. I assume it is not normally that crowded and obviously in the summer, people would be spread out more in the outdoor pools. The pool and hot tub were never too crowded to enjoy, but our biggest complaint for the whole stay was the lack of seating and tables. We definitely had trouble finding seats and only one of us got a lounge chair over the two days. Most of the time, there were not even people sitting in them, just a single shirt or something holding the spot for hours without seeing anyone go near them. It is definitely a problem that they let people put clothes down and reserve them all day to hoard them for themselves even when they are not in the building. Then to add to it, both weekend days they had birthday parties that they would reserve all but two tables for all of the hotel guests to fight over. Again, we really enjoyed our stay, but if we can't sit down and relax while there, we can't stay long. Even the kids wanted to get out of the pool for a little while and we ended up just leaving and spent relatively little time in the pool area.

We really had a lot of fun playing mini golf, volleyball, basketball, horseshoes, board games, the jungle jim, and we got a free DVD which were all provided including the DVD player in the room. Adding to that a short drive to the beach and boardwalk, and we definitely stayed busy. The TVs were new flat screens of good size for a hotel room. The kitchen was well stocked with pans, utensils, toaster, colander, wine glasses, coffee mugs, 12 pot coffee maker etc. The noise above us was fairly loud with stomping noises and whatnot but it is an old building and I anticipated this and brought a small fan that covered most noises with white noise.

All employees were nice and we were treated kindly. It is definitely a good-value family getaway with much more provided than most hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank BBnugget
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We have just ordered new lounge chairs to replace some that we did take out of circulation. We are also opening a snack bar in the indoor pool which is replacing the laundry room currently there. We are in the process of moving the laundry machines to their new building centrally located in the quad. We will be adding new seating to accomodate the snack bar area as well! We appreciate your comments and feedback and look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I would like to start by saying our stay was great, I was me my husband, 2 children and mother in law who came. the staff was friendly and the indoor pool was great and temperature of pool was great! Our room was very clean and everything was stocked. we stayed in the Virginia building and it was an older model room. The only problem that we did have is our room from teh second we opened our door on friday until we departed on sunday was that our room smelt like mildew or maybe even mold. we had to leave our door and windows open to air out the room and we sprayed perfume to maybe help with the smell. I am planning another trip for april and I would love to stay at this hotel again because my children loved it. I just dont want to have to deal with a smell like that Other then that The hotel was great. I really wish the diner was open we were looking forward to trying the food. and I must add the beds were sooooo comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Pamela R

Thank you for your honest comments. Though we have just pulled room back into rotation as we are entering spring like weather the rooms should never have a musty smell. Please contact me when coming back in April and I will personally oversee you stay! We are pleased that your family enjoyed their stay!