Francis Scott Key Family Resort
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$199
$151
ClarionHotels
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$189
$170
$180
$162
Holiday Inn Express Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$119
Princess Royale Resort(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$219
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$149
$139
$391
$152
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$359
1,092 results
All reviewspirate shipmini golfshuttle busspray groundfsk resortindoor poolshuttle servicespray parkputt puttmovie nightthe main lodgebasketball courtfree popcornsplash areagreat family funfamily movierecommend this resort
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We went for a one night trip to O.C. just yesterday,spent one night and now we're home. I've been wanting to try this "resort" for awhile now, but after reading some negative reviews I was hesitant to make a reservation. I showed up in person instead and asked the manager if I could see a room, and asked for the rate. The quote was higher by quite a bit than I had seen on their website just hours before arriving. When I pointed this out, I was told that there is a 10% discount online. I explained that I wanted to see the facilities before reserving since they have a negative online reputation, especially for cleanliness. If you read the other reviews here, you will see that for the negative, management will respond they handled it,but no detail. For the good reviews, she has plenty to say. Now, in my mind, this was an an opportunity for them to earn my business by saying well, please check it out, and we'll honor that price. In this economy, who would lose a customer over 10%? Well, FSK resort would!!! She gave me a key, but no offer of reducing the rate, and when we went into the room, the smell of cleaner and chemicals nearly knocked us out. This was a renovated room! We actually had to leave the door open to tolerate it. This "resort" is essentially a trailer park. There were ramshackle buildings with people standing around smoking in all the common areas, not only the "designated" ones. The indoor pool area is VERY small. The pirate slides are short,for only the youngest of children. And on top of it all, the buildings are priced higher the closer they are to these prime areas, but there is free parking at all of them, so why pay more? So, we go back and I walk in to return the key, and say that we are going to pass, and that I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to stay there because I didn't book online, when it is the same room, same day, and the reason I didn't is their bad reputation. I get a shoulder shrug and and the manager simply said "Ok". ***IF YOU ARE A FAMILY GOING TO O.C. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ATLANTIC HOTEL ON SOMERSET. This hotel is where we ended up staying. We walked in, no reservation, got a room that was a whole 15 steps to the boardwalk (we counted) and after telling them about FSK, they offered beat that internet rate I was denied at FSK by 20.00 to get my business!!! Not only that it was impeccably clean, with a deck overlooking the Ripleys museum. Sparkling clean pool as well. Listen, the bottom line is this - you can go to Francis Scott Key and spend more, be far from all the action, either pay to park and have to drive/take the FSK shuttle (which we saw picking up/dropping people and was so small they could only take about 8 at a time,so the waits were more an hour than 20-25 minutes) and also have a painfully small room, albeit remodeled AKA new bedspreads , OR you can stay at the Atlantic, have a clean, cheap room, and come and go as you please with their free reserved parking and simply walk out the door onto the boards. Do what we did - if they don't need your money, take it elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a recently remodeled room!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank OCFanMaryland
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

As I begin to respond to the posters review I can't understand the level of negativity they have towards a property that they choose not to stay. We know we can't be all things to all people and we are pleased that the property that they did choose met their needs. We do have a set rate program and we do not alter the rate to fit the guest that walks through the door. We do offer discounts for booking on line, weekday stays, packages, weekly rates ect as most properties do.. If the smell of the cleaners that we used were an issue we could have easily rectified that situation if the guest choose to stay.. I am surprised that anyone would call our 6000 square foot indoor pool small. We are not a waterpark by any stretch but certainly not a postage stamp pool. The splash ground is intended for small children and that does mean small slides. We tried to have something for everyone from the splashground, outdoor pool and indoor pool to entertain all ages. We do not charge by building placement but by room type as some of our rooms have full kitchens, some just small compact refrigerators. We have two shuttle buses that run from 9am until 10pm that carry 15 passengers each along with beach gear. I am confused on how this poster is estimating wait times on our shuttle as over an hour as that is simply just not true. We are one mile from point to point and unless the bridge is up for boat traffic we have about 10-15 minute wait time. We have designated smoke areas and we do ask guests to respect those boundaries. Again, I am pleased that this poster had a great Ocean City experience at the Atlantic Hotel.

I can't believe that we are even being faulted for the way in which I respond to reviews. I contact every guest who has had a negative experience here at the Francis Scott Key...every one personally. I do not post our exact conversation but I do listen and learn and try the make the appropriate adjustments. I also acknowledge the positve reviews and try and thank the poster for taking their time to submit.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Another Year Vacation at the Francis Scott Key. This year we stayed in a rancher room in the front. Last time I stayed in one of these was at least 25 years ago. It was okay, was very roomy we had a sofabed. If there is one thing that I have to comment on is the bathroom room 501. Some things I can understand like the black on the grout where the water shoots out of the shower. One thing that is hard for me to overlook is the metal mirror above the sink that is all rusty and the rust stains that are running down the wall below it. If the remedy is a tissue box on the sink below the mirror fyi....you need a Bigger box. That is just so gross! Anyway maybe someone will read this and will do something about it for future guests. Tried the 50's Diner which was much, much better than last year. Pools were great as always. Putt Putt has a little wear and tear, but kids still love it. Friendly staff, housekeeper was very polite, kept our room looking tidy......bus driver, wish I would have gotten his name, had a great personality and was very helpful. Grounds were well maintained.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank redfireflies
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Thank you for your review. Before responding I placed your comments on both the maintenance and housekeeping lists. It will be fixed. We are so pleased that your family enjoyed the Diner. We are always trying to improve and thanks for the comments. We are an older property that is always updating and and our goal is to make our families feel at home with a clean and comfortable resort. We have great bus drivers and I will pass on your positive experience with them.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

The hotel was nice enough - the pool was AMAZING!!! Our room smelled a little musty, though. We got febreeze and sprayed the room down so all was well after that.

Room Tip: OC Hotels have the
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank OwlTrippin
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

I am so sorry that your room did not great you with a pleasant smell. That should never happen and I apologize. I am happy to hear that our pool was a hit with your family. I hope that we get to see your family again soon...next time with a better first impression!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I was coming in town for a lacrosse tournament and had made reservations a few months in advance. Called one week ahead to cancel because of family conflict. Was told that I had to forfieit my 175 deposit. I offered to move my reservations to another date (even in the slow times - September and October) and they would not allow me to move to another date. The staff was rude and very unaccomodating. They ultimately hung up on me. I would NEVER recommend this resort - it is not family friendly at all.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
fskinoc, Manager at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2011

I was personally involved with the process of the cancellation with this guest. During the weekend involved we had 190 of 232 rooms contracted with independant lacrosse teams for Beach Lacrosse. We had a two week cancellation policy for the group (normally we are 72 hours) as they had almost every room we offer which is traditional when booking such a large group. All group contacts were made aware before booking of this policy. We do try and take an individual case by case look when cancels arise but those are handled personally by me and not our desk staff. Our general manager spoke with this guest regarding their specific issue in needing to cancel and we both indicated that we would try and re-book the room inside the group. We were able to re-sell the room before their group was due to arrive and her card was refunded less the $10 cancel fee. I personally called and spoke with this guest and indicated her card was being refunded. I indicated that I would research the issue of the call being dropped and though we take full responsiblity I would hope it was because af an error on our part. We did follow up and I felt as though I had a positive conversation with the guest while on the phone.

We do try and give the best customer service from that first initial phone call all the way until we say good bye. I am disappointed that this guest did not experience that positive interaction and I apologize.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were there for your April 2011 Special Package. We enjoyed our rooms, the family environment, activities (swimming, movies, pizza, popcorn, etc.) We had 10 family rooms set in different buildings, but planned to make reservations to be in the same building next time. We are already planning another family trip there before the summer is done and will be bringing a larger number of family members. Hopefully, we will have our July 2012 Family Reunion there!!! The environment is perfect (pavillion, grill, spacious picnic area, family rooms, shuttle bus, kids pool, fishing, playground/basketball area, etc.)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bay54
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Can't wait to plan your family reunion for 2012! One of my favorite sites in the summer is when I am walking the property and we have familes cooking burgers on the grill at the pavillion, playing horse shoes, basketball, putt putt, at the sprayground, riding their bikes or swimming at the indoor or outdoor pool. We try and have something for everyone!

Hope to speak to you soon!