“Not the greatest..”

Ranked #68 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not the greatest..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was at most OK. The front desk staff was not friendly at all, barely said two words during check in, and did not even ask how anything was at check out. The room wasn't the cleanest, kinda creeped me out that there were hairs and such all over. Our first morning there, I planned to sleep past 7am since I did not have to go to work but the staff ruined that for me! Apparently having a party in the hallway where all the guest rooms are is normal. I woke up to screaming, laughing and carrying on, you would have thought it was 10pm at a college party. I called the front desk to let them know that their staff is obnoxious, it did quiet a little a while later but that was probably because they started actually doing their jobs, not because a guest was annoyed. The rooftop pool? VERY small...don't plan on relaxing because it will be filled with screaming kids and obnoxious adults yelling at their kids and eachother. On another note, the hotel makes you pay extra for parking and it most likely will be ACROSS the street! And they rudely tell you to leave the lot by 2pm the day you check out and tell you that you can only use their pool till 2pm, really? who's checking? Seemed really rude to point that out, esp since no one even asked how my stay was. Oh yeah, and they have NO ice machines, they make you BUY bags of ice from the front desk. Welcome to 2013 Montecarlo...get an ice machine!!

Room Tip: Stay somehere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Not sure who this guest heard outside of their room at 7 am, when our housekeeping staff does not come in until 9a.m. , but we do investigate all noise issues and any issues with cleanliness of room. We take this very seriously and if had of been notified about any of these issues would of been taken care of immdiately to ensure the guest complete satisfaction with room . We are pleased to offer one free parking spot per room, something many hotels these days are charging for. We do have a few extra parking spaces we rent daily to guest if they chose to bring additional vehicles. Most of our guest love this idea, has they do no not need to park their car on city streets but private hotel property , where they feel more secure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is the first time I visited Ocean City. I booked a King Jacuzzi room for 2 nights. The room was spotless when we arrived. Very nice looking room though and the bed was very comfortable! The only problem with the room was one of the 2 lights above the jacuzzi was burnt out but it didn't matter to us because we didnt use the lights anyway. The hotel is located really close to the boardwalk and close to the amusement park which was convenient. Staff was very friendly and the price for the room was great for the quality of it! Definitely recommend it and will come back!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Eaglemarine1210
DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi, I was told initially there would be a $50 processing fee deducted from a mandatory $400 cash deposit. The $350 would then be returned by money order 10 days later, provided there's no damage to the room. I don't like this policy seems a credit card deposit would have been much easier. Second, I understand the potential damage unsupervised teenagers can do. So, to make my daughter happy, I went along with the program.

The staff seemed friendly enough and was happy to answer any and all my concerns regarding senior week before my daughter's stay. This is why I'm having an issue with the return of my money. In today's economy of tight budgets, why is the Hotel Monte Carlo being so cavalier with my money??? I was told initially that the money would be returned within 10 days. Twice, I've called over a two week period to be told it's in the mail. Then I was told they could only purchase 3 money orders a day, am I the only one that thinks this is BULL? But, meanwhile my money order was in the mail, so I was told. Being told the money is in the mail repeatedly is an issue of trust, considering the excuse was not lost in the mail, but oh, the Monte Carlo could only purchase three money orders per day is why my refund is delayed. That's absolute bull, I did check with USPS, there is no three money order purchase limit! Considering checkout was the 11th of June, today is the 8th of July, 10 days anyway you slice it have past. Where is my money???

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank K B

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Scarborough, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were looking for a place close to the Boardwalk and this was certainly a good choice and free parking was a plus. Ideal location for our 3-night stay, other than not directly on the ocean (which means slightly quieter) The hotel is on 3rd Street which is very central to the Boardwalk. This allowed for a nice walk south to the amusement rides and games as well as being able to walk north in the opposite direction for a little quieter stroll. There were many families enjoying themselves and we were certainly one of them.

We visited OC so that my husband could share his memories and places visited from 35 years ago with his parents. Although much has changed, he said it had the overall same feel as when he was a kid. Nice to see some things don't change.

The service at the front desk left quite a bit to be desired. We were rarely greeted when we entered the hotel. Staff would stare at computer screens rather than offer us a simple hello and a smile. Not impressed. The manager (without greeting us) noticed that I was listening to him talking to his staff. The moment he noticed me, he stopped talking and just stood there, eventually walking away into the back room without acknowledging us.

The room itself was lovely and roomy. Since there were 3 of us, it was nice to have the sofa to sit on and read etc. vs. having to sit on a bed all of the time. We did use the frig but not the micro. There wasn't any silverware or dishes....so be sure to pick up some plastic ware to eat your leftovers. Perhaps they have some at the front desk.

Room Tip: The street level can be quite noisy, so you may want to request a higher room. Our 5th floor room ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 50Countries46States
Crofton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have stayed here before and find that the location, cleanliness & employees are always great. It is nice that the hotel is located right off the boardwalk so you don't have to deal with the noise from the boardwalk itself. You don't have to cross any streets to get to the beach which I find is a plus. The only noise we heard was from the bar located a street over and that was because they had a live band. The room was clean and there is no musty smell that some other hotels have. The maid cleaned the room and took the trash out- and we did not have to request that this had to be done (I saw that others had a problem with the maid service). All the employees are very nice and very helpful. This is a family hotel and I felt very safe coming and going.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kim K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited Ocean City, MD for the first time last weekend. It was an excellent weekend all around! Weather was great, beaches clean, big & free:-). & so much to see & do! The Hotel Monte Carlo was such a great place to stay!!! I found it on trip advisor. Modern clean room with really comfy bed & I was on 5th floor with balcony, a great place to chill at the end of the day & a great nights sleep to do it again the next day:-). I will definitely visit OC, MD again & will definitely stay at the Hotel Monte Carlo!! Just off the boardwalk & bus stop, that u can ride all day for $3 - covers all of OC - no need to drive anywhere & absolutely no reason for anyone to drink & drive!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kim G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I was at the hotel 3 nights.the hotel was very nice.the room was clean and very nice.you have to park your car in a lot across the street.the pool is only 3 feet deep! No not joking! Its also on the roof. The maids at the hotel dont vacuum or do any cleaning..no ice machine. But they sell you ice.

• Stayed June 2013