“Depsoit refund for Senior Week” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monte Carlo

Hotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #71 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
DC
“Depsoit refund for Senior Week”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi, I was told initially there would be a $50 processing fee deducted from a mandatory $400 cash deposit. The $350 would then be returned by money order 10 days later, provided there's no damage to the room. I don't like this policy seems a credit card deposit would have been much easier. Second, I understand the potential damage unsupervised teenagers can do. So, to make my daughter happy, I went along with the program.

The staff seemed friendly enough and was happy to answer any and all my concerns regarding senior week before my daughter's stay. This is why I'm having an issue with the return of my money. In today's economy of tight budgets, why is the Hotel Monte Carlo being so cavalier with my money??? I was told initially that the money would be returned within 10 days. Twice, I've called over a two week period to be told it's in the mail. Then I was told they could only purchase 3 money orders a day, am I the only one that thinks this is BULL? But, meanwhile my money order was in the mail, so I was told. Being told the money is in the mail repeatedly is an issue of trust, considering the excuse was not lost in the mail, but oh, the Monte Carlo could only purchase three money orders per day is why my refund is delayed. That's absolute bull, I did check with USPS, there is no three money order purchase limit! Considering checkout was the 11th of June, today is the 8th of July, 10 days anyway you slice it have past. Where is my money???

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank K B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Scarborough, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were looking for a place close to the Boardwalk and this was certainly a good choice and free parking was a plus. Ideal location for our 3-night stay, other than not directly on the ocean (which means slightly quieter) The hotel is on 3rd Street which is very central to the Boardwalk. This allowed for a nice walk south to the amusement rides and games as well as being able to walk north in the opposite direction for a little quieter stroll. There were many families enjoying themselves and we were certainly one of them.

We visited OC so that my husband could share his memories and places visited from 35 years ago with his parents. Although much has changed, he said it had the overall same feel as when he was a kid. Nice to see some things don't change.

The service at the front desk left quite a bit to be desired. We were rarely greeted when we entered the hotel. Staff would stare at computer screens rather than offer us a simple hello and a smile. Not impressed. The manager (without greeting us) noticed that I was listening to him talking to his staff. The moment he noticed me, he stopped talking and just stood there, eventually walking away into the back room without acknowledging us.

The room itself was lovely and roomy. Since there were 3 of us, it was nice to have the sofa to sit on and read etc. vs. having to sit on a bed all of the time. We did use the frig but not the micro. There wasn't any silverware or dishes....so be sure to pick up some plastic ware to eat your leftovers. Perhaps they have some at the front desk.

Room Tip: The street level can be quite noisy, so you may want to request a higher room. Our 5th floor room ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 50Countries46States
Crofton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have stayed here before and find that the location, cleanliness & employees are always great. It is nice that the hotel is located right off the boardwalk so you don't have to deal with the noise from the boardwalk itself. You don't have to cross any streets to get to the beach which I find is a plus. The only noise we heard was from the bar located a street over and that was because they had a live band. The room was clean and there is no musty smell that some other hotels have. The maid cleaned the room and took the trash out- and we did not have to request that this had to be done (I saw that others had a problem with the maid service). All the employees are very nice and very helpful. This is a family hotel and I felt very safe coming and going.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kim K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited Ocean City, MD for the first time last weekend. It was an excellent weekend all around! Weather was great, beaches clean, big & free:-). & so much to see & do! The Hotel Monte Carlo was such a great place to stay!!! I found it on trip advisor. Modern clean room with really comfy bed & I was on 5th floor with balcony, a great place to chill at the end of the day & a great nights sleep to do it again the next day:-). I will definitely visit OC, MD again & will definitely stay at the Hotel Monte Carlo!! Just off the boardwalk & bus stop, that u can ride all day for $3 - covers all of OC - no need to drive anywhere & absolutely no reason for anyone to drink & drive!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kim G
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I was at the hotel 3 nights.the hotel was very nice.the room was clean and very nice.you have to park your car in a lot across the street.the pool is only 3 feet deep! No not joking! Its also on the roof. The maids at the hotel dont vacuum or do any cleaning..no ice machine. But they sell you ice.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank IrishJohn69
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was not happy with my stay at this hotel at all. I found it lacking in all areas but one- the location. Set on 3rd street and a very short walk from the Boardwalk is the only real perk of this hotel, but if you are looking for a good hotel experience do NOT stay here. Things that I did not like were as follows...

1. I found an old DIRTY sock in the bed linen our first day of a four day stay.
2. I had to ASK to have my room cleaned. They didn't just automatically clean it everyday as most establishments do.
3. The free breakfast was a real joke. They only offered prepackaged muffins and juice.
4. The advertised heated indoor pool was NOT heated.
5. You have to PAY for ice. It is not free.
6. The customer service was polite but less than accommodating.
7. One of the hotel staff STOLE my son's travel DVD player. We checked out of our room and a bit later I realized it was missing as my son wanted to watch the player while traveling. I went back to get it but the clerk would not let me go back into the room or call housekeeping to see if it was there. The clerk took down my number. We got home and emptied the vehicle in case I was wrong, but it was not there. I am still waiting for a call that will never come.

Even WITHOUT the DVD player incident, I was extremely unhappy with my stay. I will never stay there again and I write this review as a warning to others. Stay at this hotel and you will not be happy with experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cynthia G
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
This review written is the opinion, please note opinion of this guest and not fact. No staff member on our staff removed anything from this guest room, and until this review was posted we had never even been contacted about this. We do not offer an ice machine in our hotel because all of our rooms come with small refrig in room at no additinal cost and offer ice trays for small amounts of ice if you need it. We do sell 8lb bags of ice for your coolers , in our lobby which most guest find very conveinant to purchase on their way to the beach for the day, and they dont have to walk blocks to find ice for their coolers for the trip home or a day trip away from hotel. Just step off elevator and 8lb bags of ice for cheaper than even local large discount department stores sell the ice for.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Souderton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Rooms are small. No coffee maker. The location was ok. Probably won't use this hotel again.It was noisy at night.The pillows are terrible. They never came to clean our room,take trash. Was hoping for more.Front desk staff was helpful at times. Felt disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple