“A great stay:-)”
Review of Hotel Monte Carlo

Hotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #84 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited Ocean City, MD for the first time last weekend. It was an excellent weekend all around! Weather was great, beaches clean, big & free:-). & so much to see & do! The Hotel Monte Carlo was such a great place to stay!!! I found it on trip advisor. Modern clean room with really comfy bed & I was on 5th floor with balcony, a great place to chill at the end of the day & a great nights sleep to do it again the next day:-). I will definitely visit OC, MD again & will definitely stay at the Hotel Monte Carlo!! Just off the boardwalk & bus stop, that u can ride all day for $3 - covers all of OC - no need to drive anywhere & absolutely no reason for anyone to drink & drive!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kim G

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I was at the hotel 3 nights.the hotel was very nice.the room was clean and very nice.you have to park your car in a lot across the street.the pool is only 3 feet deep! No not joking! Its also on the roof. The maids at the hotel dont vacuum or do any cleaning..no ice machine. But they sell you ice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank IrishJohn69
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was not happy with my stay at this hotel at all. I found it lacking in all areas but one- the location. Set on 3rd street and a very short walk from the Boardwalk is the only real perk of this hotel, but if you are looking for a good hotel experience do NOT stay here. Things that I did not like were as follows...

1. I found an old DIRTY sock in the bed linen our first day of a four day stay.
2. I had to ASK to have my room cleaned. They didn't just automatically clean it everyday as most establishments do.
3. The free breakfast was a real joke. They only offered prepackaged muffins and juice.
4. The advertised heated indoor pool was NOT heated.
5. You have to PAY for ice. It is not free.
6. The customer service was polite but less than accommodating.
7. One of the hotel staff STOLE my son's travel DVD player. We checked out of our room and a bit later I realized it was missing as my son wanted to watch the player while traveling. I went back to get it but the clerk would not let me go back into the room or call housekeeping to see if it was there. The clerk took down my number. We got home and emptied the vehicle in case I was wrong, but it was not there. I am still waiting for a call that will never come.

Even WITHOUT the DVD player incident, I was extremely unhappy with my stay. I will never stay there again and I write this review as a warning to others. Stay at this hotel and you will not be happy with experience.

1  Thank Cynthia G
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

This review written is the opinion, please note opinion of this guest and not fact. No staff member on our staff removed anything from this guest room, and until this review was posted we had never even been contacted about this. We do not offer an ice machine in our hotel because all of our rooms come with small refrig in room at no additinal cost and offer ice trays for small amounts of ice if you need it. We do sell 8lb bags of ice for your coolers , in our lobby which most guest find very conveinant to purchase on their way to the beach for the day, and they dont have to walk blocks to find ice for their coolers for the trip home or a day trip away from hotel. Just step off elevator and 8lb bags of ice for cheaper than even local large discount department stores sell the ice for.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Rooms are small. No coffee maker. The location was ok. Probably won't use this hotel again.It was noisy at night.The pillows are terrible. They never came to clean our room,take trash. Was hoping for more.Front desk staff was helpful at times. Felt disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Visited OC for a nice vacation with my boyfriend and we thought the pictures on the website showed a pretty good looking hotel. We ended up having to book one of the suites since all of the other hotel rooms were booked which are located on 12th street. The main hotel is on 3rd. First time staying here. It was kind of annoying that the main pools and hot tubs and fitness place was so far away from the suites.

First thing that we noticed was how disgusting the beds were. After pulling back the covers on one of the beds in the main room, there were a bunch of hairs, long and short, and dirt underneath. On the master bedroom bed there was more dirt and hair on top of the covers by the pillows, and there was hair all in the shower. There were also hairs on the "clean" towels that were sitting above the toilet. We ended up sleeping in the second bed in the main room after we checked it and found no hairs or dirt.

House keeping only came after our first night staying to make the beds and make sure we had enough toiletries and towels. After that, they never came once and we stayed five nights. We ended up having to buy our own toilet paper because we ran out of the ONE halfway used roll that was already on the holder when we got there. What else was ridiculous is that on our last day in the suite we had just woken up and were laying in bed about to get up and get ready around 10 am when checkout was at 11 am. Without any knocking on our door before entering, a man just unlocked and opened our door while we were still laying in bed! He didn't even apologize he just shut the door and left. So ridiculous that he didn't even knock and of course housekeeping decides to come the last day we are there, an hour before we are supposed to check out.

I thought our kitchenette was pretty good until I went to make breakfast the third morning. I pulled out the spatula to find food caked on in it's slits and looked like it was barely washed before being put back. What really pissed me off was when I went to grab two plates from the stack in the cabinet, the second one down had water (I'm assuming that's what the liquid was) on it which spilled on the counter when I pulled it out of the cabinet. Disgusting. It was just unacceptable. We definitely will not be staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie D
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We usually stay at a much higher priced place every first weekend in May for Springfest. We decided to stay closer to the festivities this year and chose Monte Carlo. It was just ok. The views aren't that great. The rooms are very nicely decorated I'm guessing since the renovations. I would highly recommend paying the extra fee for preferred parking, if it's available. It's a small hotel and only one elevator, it was early in the season so it wasn't too bad of a wait, but I couldn't imagine what it’s like in season. Take a moment to go to the roof, it was a pretty view of OC and that would be nice if the weather was warm.
Just some things management might want to look into 1) crumbs in the pull out sofa..that was just gross on top the mattress and under the sofa. 2) They must have run out of regular light bulbs because all they had was pink bulbs in the bathroom. It made it interesting to do our hair and makeup.
All in all, it was ok. The staff was friendly. I would stay here again in a pinch, but prefer our ocean front luxury.

1  Thank megansm1975
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just returned from my first visit to this hotel although I've been to Ocean City many times. The rooms were nicely decorated in a new contemporary style but the bathroom and kitchenette area could use some upgrades or deep cleaning. The grout on the tile floor was nasty and black and there was crud in the corners of the bathroom. The staff was nice and friendly upon checking in and at check out, they also acknowlege you when coming in and out of the building. Can't say much for the continental breakfast, you could probably find better from a vending machine. Parking lot is tiny, I'm glad I drive a small car. The indoor pool is super tiny and was crowded with screaming children each evening. Got a long list of rules at check in that seemed to apply more for senior week guests rather than a visit from my mother and I. Probably wont stay here again just because there are so many other options. I think the price could have been more reasonable for what you get.

2  Thank Stefanie C