“Repeat Customer Let Down”
Review of Hotel Monte Carlo

Hotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #84 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monte Carlo for the fourth time this year. It was our third time staying over the Easter weekend. We really enjoy visiting OCMD at this time of year because it is the very beginning of the "on" season. There is enough stuff open and running to have fun, but it's not too crowded.

The main reasons we liked the Hotel Monte Carlo in the past were the in-room jacuzzi tubs (since the outdoor pool and hut tub are not open yet at this time of year) and the proximity to the boardwalk and inlet. We've stayed in a jacuzzi tub room every time we have stayed at this hotel.

The Hotel Monte Carlo always makes you book your reservation online if you want to earn a repeat guest discount. Unfortunately, when I tried to book this year, there was no option to choose or enter a discount. I made sure to type the repeat guest discount request in the "additional information" box, and it was honored at check-in.

When I booked my reservation, I am SURE that I selected a king bed jacuzzi tub room. It's the same room I've booked every year, and I have never had a problem. I always double-check what I am selecting before I submit my entry. Since I've never had a problem, I didn't take the time to read my confirmation e-mail that carefully. This year, after checking in and unpacking all of our belongings and having dinner, we finally got around to enjoying the jacuzzi tub only to find out that the button to turn on the bubbles was MISSING. It was already late, so we waited until morning to report this to the front desk so we wouldn't be asked to change rooms late at night. The front desk informed us that we did not request a jacuzzi tub room when we made our reservation, and the room we were put in was not listed as a jacuzzi tub room. It seems like more than a coincidence to me that we wanted a jacuzzi room and we just so happened to be put in a room with a broken jacuzzi tub. If we had selected a room with no jacuzzi tub, what were the chances we would be put in this room?

The front desk said they could move us to an open jacuzzi tub room, and listed the price per night. They offered no discount for the inconvenience. Not even an "I'm sorry." We decided to keep the room we were in.

On top of all that, our room did not receive any housekeeping services the first day we stayed. We always try to make a point of leaving the room for several hours to give the staff a chance to clean, and when we saw it hadn't been cleaned we kept finding places to go to give them more time. It never happened. The next day, our room still hadn't been cleaned by 2:00 PM, so we called the front desk and they said they would send somebody right up. They did, but we shouldn't have had to ask for our housekeeping.

Overall, we just didn't feel any appreciation or hospitality from the staff this year. When asking for towels (because the room wasn't cleaned) or information about the gym, we were given gruff, minimal responses. There was no warmth or friendliness. We felt like our presence was a hassle, and we're not high-maintenance people. I wrote a letter to the company after our stay, and they assured us they have "fixed" the housekeeping problem and they apologized, but still would not acknowledge a problem with the room reservation. Even if it was our fault, when you're looking at repeat guests visiting in the off-season, you think you'd give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a little discount for their trouble. We got nothing.

We will not be staying at the Hotel Monte Carlo in the future. We've already booked a stay in OCMD this summer at a different hotel. I'm sorry that they could not earn our future business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

In response to this review, the guest them self reserved a room with a king bed no jacuzzi. We did not have jacuzzi rooms available at the time she checked in. I have provided documentation to guest showing room type she selected when she reserved her reservation online. The guest was also sent a confirmation letter showing the room type she reserved weeks before she checked into our hotel. We have thousands of repeat guest each year, which we generously offer a repeat guest discount. We are one of very few hotels that offer this. We are not required but do this has our way of saying Thank You for choosing us again. Our repeat guest are very important to us, however if we were do offer this guest 50% off their stay for a room they did not reserve, it would be unfair of us to not do this for other guest in the future. For Easter Weekend the , weekend the guest stayed, we also offered all of our guest a complimentary late check out and we also had the Easter Bunny here on both saturday and sunday for the kids and kid a heart to enjoy. We were the only Hotel in this City to offer such things on Easter Weekend. I have provided documentation to guest showing room type she selected when booking online. Would also like to point out guest states she had stayed at our hotel several times before and liked the hotel. However this is her first review on our property.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We got there and were greeted with the policy that there were only to be two people in our room at once, and if they found another, we'd lose our deposit or get kicked out. Would've been understandable if the EXTREMELY rude woman at the front desk did not take a combative and interrogative approach to the whole thing. She DEMANDED from my boyfriend that he give her the names of who was going to be in the room, being that she saw our friend (that came last minute) in our car. My boyfriend had no idea how to respond, as he was treated as less of a customer and more like he had to prove something to them to earn what we already PAID for. At other hotels, we've been simply offered the option to pay for the extra person. Not here. When my boyfriend stammered that it'd be me and him, then him and our friend, etc, trying to figure out how to handle it, she responding rudely and very pushy to each statement. After he left to discuss the situation with our friend, she told me in a very arrant tone that my boyfriend was lying to her, when really he was just flustered from her INSULTING attitude. We were then informed very MATTER OF FACTLY of the under 23 $300 CASH deposit (normally $200 for one bed, but since we were adding a person, it went up $100.) This was on one of the reservation pages, so my fault for not noticing, but in VERY SMALL print (you'd think if someone was asking for $300 in cash they'd make it clear, especially because I've NEVER been to another hotel that does this.) They also DON'T give it back when you check out; they MAIL it to you, with a processing fee of $5 taken out of YOUR money (on some week I guess it's like $50.) Why they can't just have someone check the room for damage when you leave and save you the processing fee is beyond me, the deposit is such a hassle to begin with. The only reason we put up with this was because of the cancellation policy where you lose one of your night's payments, which I understand under other circumstances where it is an inconvenience to them, but when the reason is CLEARLY due to customer dissatisfaction and RUDE TREATMENT, this is deplorable. Room was okay. DEFINITELY not worth the $200 total for two nights. I've stayed in $60 a night hotels with better service and rooms.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amanda T

We pride ourselves in being a family friendly hotel. We are not a party hotel. Upon check in, guest misled front desk agent on amount of people in room. The room guest was registered to was so incoherant, that one of his friends had to step in and finish registering him. The security deposit policy is stated clearly on hotel website and in confirmation letters

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The "lady" at the front desk is the rudest person we have ever met at a hotel. This person should never be able to be the first person one meets as they enter a hotel. How the managent can keep her there is beyond me. Lobby is a dump. Room was fair at best. Cut our stay short and moved to the Marriott. Certainly a much better choice as we were treated as humans not dogs. Would never come back and would never recommend. I was even charged a second night even though I did not stay there. Prepare to be insulted and dissatisfied if you dare to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cadkey97
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

In response to this review i would say we have a smaller lobby, but one that was recently renovated. All hotel rooms were renovated last year with new furniture and new decor. Each guest can take a look at our pictures we have posted to see the very nice rooms and decor. We recieve many compliments from travelers that travel all over the world on our nice contemporary style. Some guest may not prefer the contemporary look. Not fair compairson to the marriott and our hotel, has the marriott charges double to triple what our hotel rates are.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wife and I went to OC for the weekend of 3/8/2013---3/10/2013 rooms were fairly priced and wanted to stay close to inlet that weekend so we said we would try it.After check in the lady at front desk told us to park across the street on the empty lot. I asked about the 8 empty parking spaces beside the building.She informed me they were reserved for people that wanted to pay extra .I asked if she was kidding , here it is off season and NO one was parked in these spots.Well with it raining and the wind blowing,$22.00 later we park.No were on their web site does it say if you want to park were your staying to pay extra..We go to room unload are luggage ,use the bathroom and are toilet runs over in the floor...R u kidding me.After the night out were trying to relax and the traffic was so loud thought they were coming in the room.And this was off season ! Sunday morning the maids were in the hall way slamming doors and yelling down the hall as if they were out on the beach..My worst stay in OC ever.I will never stay or recommend to anyone,and I have be going to OC for 30 years...

• Stayed: March 2013
hotelmontecarlo, General Manager at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

We are sorry to hear this guest did not enjoy the fantastic accomodations at such very low rates. We are pleased to be able to offer one complimentary parking spot in room reserved, located in parking lot across street from hotel. We do also offer Pay Preferred Parking which is located in covered parking area . We will make sure that any noise concerns involving staff are addressed so they will not be an issue for the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I would return here again.. The rooms are clean and sufficient, the staff is friendly and the location and value are outstanding. This property is only about 100 yards from the most popular part of the Ocean City center.......the Beach and Arcade / Boardwalk . Off Season Rates are great . Decent Towels and bathroom...mattress is a bit springy ...
(The Continental Breakfast is comparable to a vending machine)

Room Tip: Beach veiw on side is nicer.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have stayed here multiple years. Best thing is the good price and great location, right off the boardwalk and short walk to arcade and carnival for the kids. Subway restaurant off the lobby is a big plus. Rooftop pool is big, but always seems to be cold. Hot tub is nice, as is the small indoor heated pool. Our room is always clean, although the hotel itself could use some sprucing up (carpets, wall paint, etc). Parking is available, although a couple blocks walk and very tight spaces (although this seems to be the norm for OC boardwalk area). Staff is always friendly. Lobby is very small and usually crowed during check-in/out times making it difficult to walk thru during those times. Elevator is slow and small (holds 4 with luggage, max) and quicker to take the stairs. Although they advertise free wifi, but we can never pick up a strong enough signal in our room (regardless of which floor we are on), and we only get friendly excuses from the staff ("we'll be sure to check") when we complain about the wifi. Small inconvenience since so many other places in the area offer it. Overall, a decent place and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Teresa C
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Based on reviews from TripAdvisor, I chose this hotel for myself and three friends. We attended the Maryland State Teacher's convention. The location of this hotel was excellent. We were less than a block from the board walk and many places to eat. We had two rooms, one was a double and the other one was a double with the sofa bed. I don't usually like sleeping on sofa beds but this one wasn't too bad. I loved the view of the ocean. I would highly recommend this hotel for it cleanliness, the location and the service.

Room Tip: Get a room with the ocean view from the balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business