“Average, needs improvement”

Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites
Ranked #79 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

The size of the suite was great. The location is perfect, even with city views. The staff was nothing short of helpful and polite. The rooms could use extra elbow grease and care. Clearly recently painted, the walls were still visibly dirty which skeeved me out a little (hand prints, scuffs, dirt, and the such). The bathroom wall was deteriorating. The hotel probably won't overly impress anyone but for the price, it's reasonable. Spacious enough to sleep 6 adults in a suite as well.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank deso014

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family and I stayed 6/29 - 7/03. There was 3 adults and 2 teens.We had a ocean front suite(room 404). I was a little worried after booking, reading some of the reviews.We arrived at 12:30 and decide to go in to get a parking pass, to our suprise we were told our room was ready. We had went to the desk in the front building. She was very friendly and even walked us part of the way to show us where to go. I have to say my room was clean, in good shape, housekeeping was very friendly and helpful, she even went through the trouble to find me a bigger coffe pot without me even asking. Kitchen was well equipped. Liked the tile floor easy to get real clean but bring slippers or extra socks.Great location aswel. Will stay here again. My only complaints are the main pool is usually crowded by bar patrons since it is open to the public and WIFI is week constantly diconnecting. Over all we were very pleased.

Room Tip: Get Beach Front well worth the extra $
1  Thank Broughs
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Tidelands with our family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Awesome location on the beach and historic boardwalk. Small hotel room with tiny "kitchen" area that includes sink, small fridge, microwave, cook top, coffee pot & toaster. We love eating on the boardwalk so the kitchen served us well for breakfast & snacking. Rooms were clean; a slight odor, but nothing that a few sprays of Febreeze couldn't take care of. The staff we encountered was friendly and accomodating.
Location, location, location....we wanted to be in the action. The kids could run to the beach and back again as often as they wanted. We strolled the boardwalk every night and could watch for the kids from a bench out front or from our balcony (albiet a small balcony).
The hotel is a bit above par to others in the immediate area, comparing apples to apples.

2  Thank Deena T
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed in the suites a few years back, and after a subpar experience in their other hotel, we came back and took a "deal" to stay in the other building (non-suites). First room we got the shower didn't drain. We were given the room next to us, because it was the EXACT same one we were paying $239/night for. Two words...BLACK MOLD. Back down, given keys to the room next to it. Door lock not working (battery likely dead). Sent down to get another key to another room, different floor. BLACK MOLD AGAIN. On to the 5th room in the same day...and finally it is livable. Come to find that when having to go to the counter to get more keys since it didn't take long for ours to not work in the door (and no, they weren't against any credit cards), and listened to them offer up a monster room with more amenities than ours for $50 less a night to someone off the street. Their reasoning being that we were guaranteed the room. Clearly this place isn't attracting enough attention to fill what they have, perhaps readers should think again before agreeing ahead of time to their "specials." And given our experiences getting to a usable room, they could have looked beyond only the matching size/amenity room to salvage the customer's experience. Wholly disappointed. Didn't really have an issue in the past, this year multiple. Staff in the building we stayed in (the one off to the right if you're looking from the boardwalk) at night were not exactly friendly, day staff moreso. While the location is ideal for anyone looking to be on the boardwalk, the amenities weren't worth the price.

Room Tip: Stay off the 2nd floor in the suites (pool customers could create noise). Ultimately, if you're...
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here July 3rd - July 6th. I am not even going to pretend, based on more than 50% of the reviews I read I was scared of this place. I brought my air mattress just to be on the safe side. Said a prayer in the car, in the elevator, and before we entered the room! I was so relieved when we turned on the light! There was no weird smell, no weird stains, no mold and the mini fridge worked. I was so happy the floored was tiled! I have to take a moment to recognize the staff, they were all nice & helpful. Dawn, you are so pleasant and helped to make our stay better. Parking is a problem here for sure!!! The lot is so small we frove around for a while looking for parking! The pool was t-i-n-y! It was so bad! The children were forced into a little corner of the pool, while a group of adults played with a beach ball. The ball did hit two children. I did like the bar by the pool, nonalcoholic drinks were a little pricey! For the price we paid for 5 ppl, It was good a few things could have been better. Also we stayed in a partial view room, all the ocean view rooms were booked. I believe that worked in our favor. Sometimes it's better to get a glimpse of the ocean.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan F
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Not sure which rooms have stayed in but we stayed in one of the suites. The room was absolutely spotless with excellent service by front desk to those responsible for cleaning the rooms. This family will definitely be back to our new favorite OC Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brealuc
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My parents, husband, and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Tidelands. In fact, this trip was long overdue. We came here last year but had to leave the very next morning after our arrival due to an extreme medical emergency. The GM, Paul Kahn, was kind enough to offer us a voucher to use this year in replacement of the night were unable to stay.

Our stay this year was filled with friendly front desk staff, housekeeping, maintenance, and pool personnel. Unfortunately, there was a LOT of sand on the tile floors despite the housekeeper sweeping every morning. We had to walk around with shoes on most of the time. That is, however, to be expected when you are so close to the beach. Also, the wifi was really spotty on the 5th floor where our room was located and I had some online work that went unsubmitted (until I was able to access the wifi from the pool deck). Last year, with a room on the 2nd floor near the pool, we had no problems with the connection.

All in all, we would stay here again. We've stayed at about 6-7 different hotels along the OC beach. This is definitely one of our favorites.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the ground floor seem to have a better wifi connection.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family