Below is an email sent to tidelands that included pictures we have yet to be contacted by anyone.
Our stay at the Tidelands Caribbean Hotel was much less than stellar. We arrived at the property on 8/26/2012 and will depart on
8/30/2012. We decided on this particular hotel because we're Travel Agents and occasionally we get requests from clients wish to be recommended to a few of the smaller hotels that don't carry a big, well-known name.
Upon arrival we stated that we were Travel Agents which was also stated on our reservation. On our way to the room we immediately noticed certain things that we felt should have addressed. As we exited the elevator on the 4th floor there was a terrible smell that greeted us. It smelled possibly of mold, very musty and it carried throughout the entire 4th floor. The carpet was well-vacuumed, but it was wet in some places. This could have been from guests tracking water up from the pool which was located on the 2nd floor, but interestingly, none of the other floors had that smell. When we entered the suite, we noticed that the lampshades were stained, had what appeared to be mold on them and had what appeared to be strands of human hair on one of them (there were a total of 5 lamps in the suite) we have included pictures. Also, there were no face-plates covering the electrical outlets in the room with the balcony. The floors in the suite weren't sticky or spotty, but they definitely were grimy! Walking barefoot on them before our trip to the beach netted an unwanted amount of sand and grit. Room service was non-existent and expressing our concerns to the front desk was met with silence and long faces. At one point, one of the ladies at the font desk told an older gentleman who was in training that he can "expect to get a lot of complaints about room cleaning".
Of course we expressed our concerns to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. We were told he wasn't available. We left our business cards and asked that he call us in the morning (the morning of day 2). We received no such call. This room cleaning issue was a constant so we questioned the front desk for the manager again. We were immediately told that he wasn't there at the time. We then questioned the front desk attendants as to the room cleaning policy for the hotel. We figured maybe the policy was such that one would have to REQUEST their room to be cleaned, otherwise it wouldn't be. It was at this point the she walked away from us entered the back room for about 15 seconds came right back out with the manager.
The manager, Paul Kahn, was calm and attentive. Interestingly, he denied ever getting our request for him to call us and said he never received our business cards. He did make a call to housekeeping to inquire about what happened, had someone go clean our room immediately and asked for another business card.
However, we met with the same thing again the next day.
The bright spot by far was The BlueFin Restaurant/Bar!! They were amazing. Very attentive with a smile, drinks and food were great , they were able to recommend certain items on the menu and they even came out to service the guest while out at the pool! Kudos to them!!
Very dissatisfied and unhappy. A waste of money. Unfortuanatly will not be recommending to our clients and would like some feedback from property owner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tidelands is centrally located on 5th Street on the Boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland featuring 133 beautifully decorated oceanfront, oceanview & oceanblock rooms & 2-room suites. We offer deluxe, spacious accommodations with a kitchen, as well as two pools, including rooftop pool with pool bar plus free wireless internet. As part of The Carousel Group Hotels, we offer Carousel Vacation Packages and extras with all stays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tidelands Caribbean Hotel Ocean City
- Tidelands Caribbean Ocean City