“Horrible”

Ranked #83 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Horrible”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Below is an email sent to tidelands that included pictures we have yet to be contacted by anyone.

Our stay at the Tidelands Caribbean Hotel was much less than stellar.  We arrived at the property on 8/26/2012 and will depart on
8/30/2012.  We decided on this particular hotel because we're Travel Agents and occasionally we get requests from clients wish to be recommended to a few of the smaller hotels that don't carry a big, well-known name.

Upon arrival we stated that we were Travel Agents which was also stated on our reservation.  On our way to the room we immediately noticed certain things that we felt should have addressed.  As we exited the elevator on the 4th floor there was a terrible smell that greeted us.  It smelled possibly of mold, very musty and it carried throughout the entire 4th floor.  The carpet was well-vacuumed, but it was wet in some places.  This could have been from guests tracking water up from the pool which was located on the 2nd floor, but interestingly, none of the other floors had that smell.  When we entered the suite, we noticed that the lampshades were stained, had what appeared to be mold on them and had what appeared to be strands of human hair on one of them (there were a total of 5 lamps in the suite) we have included pictures. Also, there were no face-plates covering the electrical outlets in the room with the balcony.  The floors in the suite weren't sticky or spotty, but they definitely were grimy!  Walking barefoot on them before our trip to the beach netted an unwanted amount of sand and grit.  Room service was non-existent and expressing our concerns to the front desk was met with silence and long faces.  At one point, one of the ladies at the font desk told an older gentleman who was in training that he can "expect to get a lot of complaints about room cleaning".

Of course we expressed our concerns to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager.  We were told he wasn't available.  We left our business cards and asked that he call us in the morning (the morning of day 2).  We received no such call.  This room cleaning issue was a constant so we questioned the front desk for the manager again.  We were immediately told that he wasn't there at the time.  We then questioned the front desk attendants as to the room cleaning policy for the hotel.  We figured maybe the policy was such that one would have to REQUEST their room to be cleaned, otherwise it wouldn't be.  It was at this point the she walked away from us entered the back room for about 15 seconds came right back out with the manager.

The manager, Paul Kahn, was calm and attentive.  Interestingly, he denied ever getting our request for him to call us and said he never received our business cards.  He did make a call to housekeeping to inquire about what happened, had someone go clean our room immediately and asked for another business card.
However, we met with the same thing again the next day.

The bright spot by far was The BlueFin Restaurant/Bar!!  They were amazing.  Very attentive with a smile, drinks and food were great , they were able to recommend certain items on the menu and they even came out to service the guest while out at the pool!  Kudos to them!!

Very dissatisfied and unhappy. A waste of money. Unfortuanatly will not be recommending to our clients and would like some feedback from property owner.

Room Tip: Stay away if you want your room cleaned
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Supermami5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Location and pool were great, this is where it ends!! This hotel is absolutely filthy!! Mold in the bathroom and air conditioning vents, saw roaches, plaster fell from ceiling, bedding broke down, sleep sofa broken, freezer iced over, carpet nasty in the hallways, cart for luggage transport broken, safe in room didn't work, curtains hanging half off the rail,lampshades nasty, paint on walls dirty, Just a disaster!!! What a rip off!!

1 Thank Solukyx2

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed August 27, 2012

After my son had bed bugs in his room over Memorial Day Weekend, I decided not to stay there for Bike Week. Three weeks ago today, I cancelled by reservations. I had put $500 down on my room back in March 2012 and they told me if I cancelled it would cost 10% of one night's stay. When I cancelled on AUGUST 6th, 2012 they told me it would be 10% if my deposit which would be $50.00. Right there I knew I would have trouble getting anything back from these people. To date - they have not sent me a check. They told me that their policy was that a check would be issued within 5 days of cancellation. They promptly cashed my check in March. I have called for my refund numerous times. They tell me a woman comes in until 9 am and she is the only one that can issue checks. They did not know her name. I have left numerous messages for the Manager who has yet to call me back. Now it has been 3 weeks and no check. Now I have to hire an attorney to try and get my deposit back. So people, I'm telling you - besides the fact that they DO HAVE BED BUGS they will also rip you off. They did move my son to some apartment down the street when he caught and brought the Bed Bugs to the front desk. They gave him absolutely no compensation otherwise. DO NOT STAY AT THIS BUG INFESTED crooked hotel.
Patti Reilly
Gaithersburg, MD

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Patt R
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We took a weekend trip to OC this weekend from Friday until Sunday. We originally booked a room at a place that turned out to be a complete dump. Since we got there so late we stayed the night at the dump. Upon waking the next morning we called Tidelands and explained our situation. They were so wonderful and accommodating. They waived the two night minimum for us and gave us a beautiful ocean view room for a very reasonable rate. I had stayed there years ago and loved it and still do. The rooms are clean, bright and airy. The staff is super nice and helpful. The kids decided that OC is the beach we will always go to from now on and Tidelands is the hotel we will always stay at.

2 Thank Jaimet49
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

For a high priced beach front hotel it's reasonable to have high expectations. Immediately you will be underwhelmed by the room and its dated appearance. The beds were uncomfortable and in the 3 days we stayed there the maid never cleaned the room once. I would have to call down to the front desk to get our bathroom supplies restocked after returning to a dirty room. The real kicker was charging for the use of the ice machine ($0.25). It's not the price but principal. With taxes and fees the place averaged a cost of $250 a night and that doesn't include ice? Don't bother reporting it to the robotic staff. When I checked out I was not even asked how my stay was or thanked for my business. I did not see any bed bugs in my room but I did read that other reviewers on tripadvisor recently who experienced that problem. After my stay there and my interactions with the staff, I can't say that would surprise me at all. Stay away from this place! I don't consider myself someone with high standards when it comes to hotels but I think a clean room, clean towels, and friendly staff would fall into everyone's standards for a $200+ per night hotel. The Tidelands Caribbean fails in every one of these respects.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank AllanG948
Baltimore Maryland
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arrived on 8-17-12. Stayed in ocean front room on boardwalk, 3rd floor. Front desk lady was ok. I mean, I didn't want to be her best friend so I really didn't start a conversation with her. Room was fine for boardwalk location. I checked for bed bugs, didn't see anything. I do have bites BUT I went putt putt golfing at Malibus mini golf I found several Mosquitos on me! Bathtub was moldy under the caulk and in some grout lines but I didn't go licking it so I wasn't too worried. The housekeeping ladies were very nice. Always said hello asked how our day was, etc. We really didn't make a huge mess so other then grabbing towels from them we didn't need their services but twice and they did a good job!

The pool near the bar and the bar sucked. Too many kids for such a small area. The bartender Keith or Kevin was an arrogant SOB. The pool bar bathrooms were HORRIBLE. As in I would have rather peed in the pool HORRIBLE. The pool on the roof....fabulous and clean and quiet for the most part. Great views too!

Hooters...was not a problem. I have no idea what people were complaining about? It was quiet and they closed rather early in my opinion.

Parking....was not a problem. I paid for a room on the boardwalk for a reason! Took bikes and the car never moved for 8 days!

Elevator...only one but I used it twice. To take luggage to room and a week later to bring in down, otherwise we used the steps!

Please understand my husband and I have no children and have been coming to OC for 52 and 37 years! This is by far not the worst place. However, should you have children with you I can see where the cleanliness of the rooms might be an issue! I know better than to sit on the floor and lick the tub. I wouldn't cancel reservations, just use common sense when you arrive! Check the room out before bringing your stuff in.

If the hotel would pay for some upgrades I think it would be well worth the 300 a night. However, it is ocean city Maryland NOT the Hilton on the Virgin Islands!

4 Thank JenniferGrabowski
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This place is great, we've been staying here for years, and when I was reading these reviews before our stay this year I started to get concerned that maybe something had changed. But no, it seems like low class people are always out there to complain to try to get something in return. We were there for 4 days and the sheets were clean, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and our housekeeper brought us extra pillows (I like to sleep with a pillow on my side.)

When we were checking out there was an obnoxious woman in the lobby talking about how if she didn't get a refund for the past two nights (it was raining) she was going to go on Tripadvisor and post a really negative review and talk about the "Bed Bugs" and the "Mold" and the "Dirty Sheets" and she kept making "air quotes" like she was willing to lie and slander the hotel because she didn't want to pay for her stay.

When the woman left I got to talking with the manager about what actually happened, and he confirmed my suspicions, that people try to lie and cheat all the time in the hotel business, and they say "Oh there's bedbugs" and they check for bedbugs and there are none. On this particular occasion he had called both Orkin and the Health Dept to check all the rooms on that floor, and no bedbugs to be found. The truth is, not many guests even know what they look like, but they see a bug that blew in because they left the window open and they start swearing there's an infestation. He said this hotel, like most hotels in Ocean City takes bedbugs very seriously, and investigate every report thoroughly.

Don't believe the reviews, these people are scaremongers.
We love the Tidelands, the pool is fantastic!

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are really nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family