“Nice location but NOT a nice price”

Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites
Ranked #79 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is NOT located directly on the beach unless you specifically request it.
There are 2 separate buildings and they are not attached.We traveled as a large family and requested the suite with ocean view.But be careful,there are 2 different suites with the same number of beds.The difference is the suite that offers a little privacy,with a wall separting it from the rest of the room, is NOT ocean front.You barely can see the ocean between the buildings.So if you want ocean view suite then you have to get the room where are the beds are in the same room with no privacy.Because we had a large party, we had to drive 2 cars,only to find out upon check in that the hotel provided parking for only 1 car.They said park on the street a block away or more if you want free.If you want to pay you could park right beside the hotel.Good luck finding a space if you go in the summer time. As far as the room goes,there is no carpet.
Let me repeat,not a misprint or exaggeration.No carpet,it's tiled.Which makes for a few unexpected problems.If the room is not kept clean and tidy various bad odors exist.
My guess is because if there was carpet,it would absorb some of the smells from dirty clothes,wet bathing suits and so forth.The other problem is all the sand from the beach will be everywhere over a period of time so bring a broom.Maids did a good job of cleaning the room,when they actually cleaned it.They did not clean the room for the first 48 hours we were there.For the price we paid which was $300 per night,it should have been a lot better.I would recommend in the off season when the price isn't so high. Otherwise it's a decent hotel but not a that price.However that's about an average price for all the hotels in Ocean City ON THE BEACHFRONT in the summer time

Room Tip: Look at private rentals,condo's or apartment types
1  Thank bret8kins

Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at Tidelands with my wife and my Mom on the Labor day holiday. We chose that hotel despite the "so-so" reviews that we read. I wanted to be in a hotel very close to the sidewalk so I wouldn't need to use the car to take a walk on the boardwalk. That's why we decided to stay in this place.

Overall it was not bad, but some things annoyed us. Every time someone closed their doors on the same floor, it slammed and the walls shook as if we were in an earthquake. That happened frequently. The towels were not replaced when we requested and the bed was poorly made, the bedsheets were all wrinkled as if they had just covered the messed bedsheet with the comforter. They did not clean the dirty mugs/glasses, and when we called asking them to do it, they said they did not do it.

The bathroom is small and the showers are as weak as a little stream. There's only one elevator and it's definitely not the fastest I've ever been. Get used to wait in the line.

The only Ice machine of the hotel was broken and the front desk charged us 1 dollar for a bag of ice. This was the first time I've been to a hotel where I had to pay for the ice.

The parking lot, depending on how crowded the hotel is, gets full and you have to park 2 blocks away.

The rooms are clean and tiled, no carpet, and the beds are ok, which is very important to us. One of the comforters had a huge hole and the bathroom door was damaged as well. The balcony is nice and has a good view.

The staff is not rude, although not friendly at all. They seem not oriented to please the customers.The day we checked out, for example, I asked to keep the car in the garage for a little longer, up until 3ish. The guys said they couldn't do it because there were other customers checking in starting @ 3. I tried to argument and ask him to give me a call in case the lot got full but he insisted that I should remove the car by 2 at the latest. I was surprised because there were plenty of empty spaces, and it was the Labor Day Monday, so I really don't think the hotel would be 100% occupied in the night when the summer had officially ended. I took the car out of the parking lot and parked on the street. We usually go to OC and stay in hotels and this was the first time this happened.

So, in a nuthsell, there are better options to go in OC, this one is not a "no-go" but if you decide to stay there get an extra dose of patience. The only thing that raised the rating was the location and the clean rooms. The rest is below any standards for the price they charge you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room awy for the stairwell and elevator.
1  Thank GusAntonello
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed in an oceanfront room with a wonderful balcony that we really enjoyed. Our room was very big and even though we did not use the kitchen - it was nice to have it. The pools are very nice with comfy lounge chairs. Great location on the boardwalk - close to everything. Only negative was that the room was a little dusty, but we can live with that!

1  Thank tar4963
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had booked this hotel back in March for my daughter 3rd birthday in August. I had kept coming back reading all of the bad reviews thinking to myself "what am I in for?!"
Was not bad at all!! The room was great we had oceanfront. Noise from stores at bottom not bad, we all slept through it. Bathroom not great, little moldy but expected from boardwalk hotels Service was awesome! No complaints. We would return here, my daughter loved it.

Room Tip: If booking oceanfront make sure to be on 3rd or 4th floor so noise from stores below arent a complai...
1  Thank skadeb
Reviewed September 3, 2011

so we just came back from a week long stay at the hotel. what can i say love, love , love everything about it. the location is right on the beach and we traveled with three kids so it was ideal for us and all the stuff we had to carry to the beach. we had a two bedroom suite with a small kitchen that had a two burner stove top, sink and cabinet space. they also give you plates and pots and utencils but I prefer to bring my own . we brought our own pack and play this year but last year we used one from the hotel which was fine. We will for sure go back same time next year it was amazing.

1  Thank NyTanfan
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This was our 4th time staying here in the last 10 yrs. Love the location, rooms are very spacious. Had to ask for towels/wash clothes/ toilet paper almost every day during our 5 night stay. Bathroom had mold in the shower. Bed had sand in it when we arrived, which tells me the sheets were not changed from previous occupants. Beds were so bad it was like we were sleeping in a whole.

There was also a flood on the 5th fl in the hallway, above my room. Water was pouring thru the ceiling in our bathroom. We called the front desk who sent up house keeping. House keeping came and when I asked for another room, she left to never return, leaving me with all this water all over the toilet & floor. We called the front desk again and waited about 15 mins before I had to go the front desk, ask for towels to clean up the mess, so we could shower and go to dinner. The hallway floor was socked w/ water for 2 days from the flood and it did not appear that they would be cleaning it up either.

We will not be staying at the Tidelands again as it seems they are not spending the money to upkeep their establishment. So sad as we really did like this hotel in the past.

1  Thank Denise S
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Saw some of the bad reviews but decided to give it a try - big mistake. Upon arrival noticed no bath towels and had to ask for them. Staff was very nice and delivered them to the room. Once we were back in the room noticed dirty floor, black mold in caulk in bathroom, mold on shower curtain and ceiling tiles in the bathroom. Toilet in bathroom not bolted to floor well-felt extremely wobbly. Internet service was useless, broken ice maker on floor. If I needed ice I could go to lobby or pay for an 8 lb. bag. Rooftop pool not clean and had algae on the tiles.

Room Tip: Had an ocean view which was great. Faced Hooters but had no problems.
1  Thank Deborah B