“Great place to eat”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Ocean City, MD's finest Seafood & Prime Rib Buffet
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We eat here everytime we are in OC. They have something there for everyone, and the staff is very nice. They are a little expensive, but well worth it.

There are newer reviews for The Bonfire

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was an awesome place to eat, ate so much I wanted to puke but thats my own stupidity. I would say average tourist area prices

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Lots pf choices, food was good, prime rib was cut too thin, drinks were extra and the cost of the buffet itself is pricey but they charge less for kids so it worked out better than many other buffets in town. Good food. Dated but quaint atmosphere. We enjoyed it and had multiple plates each.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just got back from a Thanksgiving Feast at the Bonfire. We have been there before and every time has been wonderful. It was really crowded, but we had reservations so we were seated right away.

The buffet was filled with all sorts of Thanksgiving items, like turkey, ham, seafood stuffing, sage stuffing, oyster stuffing and cornbread stuffing along with green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, salad, peas, soups, mashed potatoes. The list is quite extensive. Desserts are plentiful as well.

We used to cook Thanksgiving dinner every year, but this makes for such a pleasant change. You can try many different items that you may not make at home. You have time to talk to family and friends without running around the kitchen like a crazy person trying to serve everything at the same time. Whew, this is much nicer. You cannot beat the price at $20+ per person, less for children--around $10+ up to 12 years old and real young children 3 and under are free. Alcohol, of course, is a separate charge.

In spite of the "packed house" service was excellent.

2  Thank B g
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Thursday evening I checked out one of the many buffet restaurants that grace the OC strip. According to the local propaganda, The Bonfire is the best so I thought I would give it a try. I am not a big buffet kind of guy although one of my favorite places in Tampa is the Asian Crazy. I was lured to the Bonfire by the prospect of a raw bar, prime rib and steamed seafood. How could this be bad? Well let me count the ways! First this is not a cheap place...the buffet is $32.99 and all drinks are extra. There is a $5 discount during the off season so I did take advantage of that and the beer was reasonably priced at $3 for the reliable Yeungling. The place is large and decorated sometime in the mid 80's in a country style (hello! country style in a seafood restaurant at the beach) The place was almost empty but it is off season so I took the plunge. After being shown to a table I was given a verbal tour of the culinary delights I was about to enjoy. Syked up to start the feast I went directly to the Raw/Salad Bar. There was a large selection of salad fixing's but I was there for seafood. As promised they had a tray of raw clams and raw oysters and low and behold a plate of seared tuna with wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger.....boy are they in trouble! I got about 3 clams, 3 oysters and after searching through the tuna I found some agreeably rare tuna, plus some cold steamed shrimp. Back to the table to sample my selection. First I have been eating great oysters since arriving last month but they were Chincoteagues and I was not expecting the same quality but the Chesapeake oysters while not a rich and salty as Chincoteagues are still very good. My question to the Bonfire is where on earth did they find such god awful oysters. They were poorly shucked, dry and as bland as white bread. Even the addition of cocktail sauce (something I rarely use) could not disguise the awfulness of these bi-valves...WOW. So after eating just two I moved on to the clams. They were alright but tasted a little strong and again mangled by the shucker. The steamed shrimp were of decent size and had a nice coating of old bay but were clearly overcooked to the point of mushiness. You can tell before eating a shrimp if it is overcooked by the way that the shell comes off the meat...if the shells are hard and the shrimp easily removed than you have a well cooked shrimp. These soft shells remained part of the shrimp no matter how carefully I peeled them. Moving on...the tuna...it wasn't bad and with the addition of the condiments a nice mouthful.

Well the cold food was bad, maybe they did better with the hot food so up I went to the steamed table. The table consisted of crab legs, hot steamed shrimp, steamed mussels and warm butter. Having been burned by the cold shrimp I none the less got a few of the hot ones hoping that he cold ones were a fluke...but NOOOOOOO - they were the same only warm, not hot, warm. I was served crab legs - you are only allowed to get two crab legs per visit...never seen that before. I skipped the mussels. The legs were tasteless, overcooked (see a pattern here) and not worthy of a second visit.The shrimp were a hot version of the cold shrimp. Well I was starting to run out of things to try ! Oh yeah they have prime rib! Off to the carving station. A nice young guy was working the station and was just "over the moon" about the prime rib. He was saying that this is the best prime rib in town as he sliced off a wafer thin piece of meat and then proceeded to dip it in a vat of au jus. I noticed some sauteed asparagus so I took a few stalks. Getting back to the table I realized why he dipped the meat....the au jus was hot and helped warm up the room temperature meat. It was a shame because the meat was not bad and had it been hot and sliced thicker than newsprint it would have been good. They must have screwed up because the asparagus was nicely cooked and warm.

The bottom line is that if you are looking for quantity and not quality there are many cheaper buffets to visit here in OC...they can't be any worse. BTW the beer was good!

1  Thank ComeflywithmeFlorida

Been to The Bonfire? Share your experiences!