“Where's the crab?”

Higgins Crab House North
Ranked #99 of 416 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 128th street
Transit: Convenient to Ocean City municipal bus stops
Description: Ocean City Md"s premier Maryland style Crab house and Seafood Restaurant. We go to the docks 7 days a week to purchase the very freshest Chesapeake Bay seafood from the man (or woman) that caught it. Bring the family and and enjoy the finest Maryland has to offer...The Higgins Family
Baltimore, Maryland
“Where's the crab?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We perhaps should have known, when we saw plenty of empty tables where nearby crab houses had long lines, that the experience would not be good. All 3 of us ordered the crab cake dinner. It came with sides--in my case kohl slaw, corn, and baked potato. Not one of us could finish the small, dry, "crab" cake--should have been called a bread cake. There were a few flecks of crab in among the flavorless bread binder, but you could barely taste them. The kohl slaw must have been made from the tough, outer leaves of the cabbage and had a watery, bland dressing. The corn was the typical over-stewed ear one gets in restaurants. Even the baked potato was overcooked and dark in the middle, though it's mostly what I ate so I wouldn't go to bed hungry. The service at least was good, and the poor waitress was distressed about our awful meal.

1 Thank cadbar

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Mediocre at best, Snow crabs watery, AYCE service slow (except for the fillers)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

A group of 10 ate at this restaurant at the outdoor seating area. The place has various AYCE options or you can order a la carte. Our group ordered a mix of AYCE and platters. The two who had AYCE: one chose blue crabs; the other snow crabs. They start you out with a bunch of sides such as hush puppies, fried chicken, corn, etc. This is served quickly however the first AYCE main entrees arrived between 25 to 30 minutes after ordering! There were only 5 blue crabs for the person who chose this option. They were small/medium in size and very light!! The re-order took almost another 45 minutes. This time it was a tray of mostly medium, but still light, crabs. The AYCE snow crabs includes the first plate of crabs, additional 1 lb refills are charged. This seems to be the norm at the moment at the OCMD restaurants that have AYCE snow crabs. It is being blamed on the market price increase of snow crab.

The ones who ordered off the menu got snow crabs, crab imperial and ribs. The snow crabs were $33 for "2 lbs" (must be including all the extra water weight with this) and were not very good. They were watery, small, and fishy...not at all what you want with snow crabs. The ribs were okay, but overpriced at $23 for the rack. I did not try the crab imperial. The person who had it said it was "fine".

The kids meals are very expensive and don't include drinks. Three kids meals (2 grilled cheeses and 1 burger) and three kids drinks was approximately $27 before tax & tip.

Overall I would suggest finding another restaurant. I feel it was a waste of money and an evening. It is extremely unlikely that we will return.

1 Thank mh290362
River Vale, New Jersey
“Good crabs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Crabs were good - service was so so. I think our server just had too many tables to handle so it took him a while to get us stuff. When my son asked for water from another server I didn't think it was appropriate for her to ask who our server was. If we were asking her it was because our waiter wasn't around. M son got the ribs and they were very good. The waiter did take the time to show us how to crack the crabs which was helpful. We are not extremely avid crab eaters so can't say if they were the best or not. Good enough to eat.

1 Thank Stacey S
Rensselaer, New York
“Disappointing seafood for a beach location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I visited Higgins take-out counter, which is located in the liquor store next to the restauant (maybe they are trying to tell you something?) For about $20 I ordered a single crabcake with a baked potato and broccoli. They forgot to pack fork or other utensil so when I got back to my hotel I had to scrounge some from the staff. The crab cake was small, soft (not crispy outside) and not very crabby- no special flavor (secret family recipe?). The foil-wrapped potato was chewy, as though microwaved and the broccoli was, well, OK. The container also had a decorative slice of spicy apple, which had more flavor than the rest of the meal. I was underwhelmed.

1 Thank pkep1483
Baden, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply bad!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Do not waste your time or money on this restaurant. It was awful! I got the #7 all you can eat crab legs...there was hardly ANY meat in the legs and were skinnier than a pencil. When it came to the claw, there was a little meat in there. It is actually not all you can eat because after the first 2 lbs., which was mostly shell, you have to pay an additional $3.95 for the next pound. Included in the all you can eat was coleslaw, which was about 2 tablespoons and the waiter never came back to ask if I wanted more....corn was included which tasted like horse corn.....and the chicken, oh my goodness....I asked for white meat and it was a breaded rib with NO meat!! That was it.....I really wanted to walk out.....TRUST ME, please stay away and go elsewhere. I should have walked out when we first walked in, there were hardly any people in there and that is very unusual for a OC restaurant. Plus, it had an odor in the restaurant and the fish tank was completely dirty. Save your money and go where the seafood is really good! It is not even worthy of a terrible rating.