“Crabcake Factory Restaurant”

Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Steps from the Beach at 120th Street
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Crabcake Factory has two locations--the restaurant on 120th Street and the Express location. We ate at the restaurant.

The restaurant is small and it was very busy on the night we went. We were told there would be a half-hour wait and that they would come to get us when our table was ready. After 35 minutes of waiting I asked how much longer and was told that they had already called us. However, unless they called us within the first 10 minutes of our wait, I was sitting by the front door the entire time.

They were able to give us a table immediately without any additional wait time.

The service from the waitress was excellent, and the food was outstanding.

The crabcake is a bit small, but that is to be expected as it is filled with large pieces of lump crab meat. Other reviewers on this Website have complained about the size of the crabcake and that they have gotten larger crabcakes elsewhere. However, I doubt that those larger crabcakes have used lump crab meat. Larger crabcakes in Maryland generally used back fin meat rather than lump, so the cake is composed of flakes of meat rather than lumps of meat.

Back fin crabcakes are good, but lump meat crabcakes are better--and the Crabcake Factory has excellent crabcakes made with lump meat.

The fries and the cole slaw were also excellent. Aside from the confusion at the beginning with getting a table, the Crabcake Factory was our favorite restaurant during our three-night stay in Ocean City, and we will definitely be eating here again.

1  Thank Thom Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Visited OC for vacation. This restaurant is right next door to where we stayed. I didn't know what to expect when I stopped in, especially since our hotel offered a discount coupon for the place. Well, let me just say that their crab dip will have me coming back for more. The crab dip is served in a bread bowl... it's served with tortilla chips (tastes homemade).. the top of the bread is lightly toasted and served with the hot crab dip... I have to say that is the best crab dip I've ever tasted... It's so fresh you can taste the sea in it. Although the bread bowl is not huge by any standards, it was enough for the three of us to share. I ordered crab cakes (excellent and fresh tasting) my son got a burger and my nephew had the Philly cheesesteak. They loved it! And I loved my crab cake. I was not disappointed. Also, the rest of the menu consisted of seafood items which looked good but I can't comment on it since we eat any other items. I'd like to try their breakfast before we head home though. If breakfast is as good as dinner was, the place will get another positive review!

1  Thank Cannonball2
Reviewed August 16, 2013

the title says it all. pretty much what you would expect. nicer on the inside than it looks from the outside. nice bar. nice helpful staff. crab cakes are good. MD crab soup not so much. shrimp and frie appetizer mostly fries.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I were walking around OC after a day on the beach and happened to pass by the Crabcake Factory. It's a small place and we weren't sure that we would like the place since it was pretty empty. Well, we did and we returned another two times afterward. The crabcakes were some of the best we had in OC and the service was very good. I didn't realize that there was a Washington Redskins following in OC until my second visit. The bar was lively with Redskins fans as a pre season game was being televised. It's a good atmosphere with equally good food which doesn't cost you an arm or leg and most definitely doesn't disappoint.
Will be returning and recommending the place to others.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have had good food at the Crabcake Factory in past years, however this year my experience was a little different. We walked in around 5:15pm with a party of 5. Since it was still early, there were several tables open, however the hostess sat us at a small 4 top table and just slide another chair to the head of the table. At first I didn't think anything of it, but as we sat down and started getting settled I realized that the table was going to be way too small. I went to the hostess and asked if we could be seated at one of the larger (6 top) tables that were empty. This request was immediately shot down, with the explanation that the 6 top tables were saved for parties of six only. I then asked about a 5 top table and she said that they only have 2, 4 or 6 tops. Now I am starting to get frustrated and my family is getting embarrassed as I am arguing with the hostess. After some arguing, they did finally offer us a six top table to sit at, but by this time my family was embarrassed and we ended up leaving. I don't think I will visit here again. There are plenty of other places in OC that have as good, if not better crabcakes. And they won't try to squeeze 5 at a table for 4.

....by the way, we ended up having a great meal at the Green Turtle after a 10 minute wait. When we were escorted to our table, it was a nice large table for 6.

4  Thank peteanddebbieward
OCJ, Public Relations Manager at The Original Crabcake Factory, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Pete and Debbie Ward first let me Thank You for giving us a shot at Crabcake Factory and especially Thank You for stating the reason you came to us before and returned again was our outstanding food and service. I am very sorry that you did not get to experience some of our selections however I am glad you got to try our one of our other fine dining establishments in Ocean City, The Green Turtle (sic). We agree, there are some other great places in Ocean City and having been to Crabcake Factory in the past you were aware at the volume of business and out lack of large tables. I am sorry there was confusion on this return visit.

I do recall asking you if you would like to wait for a booth or if you would't mind I could seat you sooner at a four top with an extra a seat. This is a practice we use hundreds of times a week and rarely if ever do we have arguments with the hostess about them. I regret your family was embarrassed for you and had I seen you leaving I would have certainly tried to convince them that you were well within your rights to cause such a scene and that we were setting up another table as you exited the side door. I assure you we would not have forced you to sit there, we just did not have one available right that second after you initially agreed to be seated. We had already sat the six top at that time and were waiting for the next to clear. I did also try to explain this to your party when you were at front door with the Hostess.

All this being said I think Tripadvisor is a great place to voice your opinions and complaints however I cannot help after the fact. I hope we can get you back sometime as you seemed to like us enough to state the food quality and return again. If not I am truly sorry to lose you as a customer. I would hope since this is your first review other may consider our full body of work. Again Sorry.