“Not good. But then again we're from NY.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Pino's Pizza

Pino's Pizza
Ranked #31 of 418 Restaurants in Ocean City
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Takeout
Description: We re-open Friday May 12th 2017! and close up for the season after the 2nd weekend of Oct. We offer 10 minute Carry-out, or Fast Delivery to all of Ocean City. NO EAT IN. 81st street Coastal Highway. 2017 is our 36th year! How we make our Sauce: Our pizza is most noted for its tasty sauce as well as not being skimpy with it. In 25 years of being in the pizza biz, we have never ever deviated from buying the best, most delicious, and most expensive, cold packed plum tomatoes from Stanislaus County California. We buy it fresh ground and its not from concentrate. Its texture is bits-and-pieces and we add only 10% water. There is enough in the ground plum tomatoes already. Then we add our own preportioned large bag of spices and herbs mix. In this biz, it called the "Goodie-Bag". It consists of Oregano, Parsley, Basil, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & hot crushed peppers. We wioll not tell you portion so out flavor stays original and unique. We boil these 8 spices and herbs like a loose tea brew, and then combine this brew to cold smashed tomatoes pieces and puree. WahLa---done. No cooking the tomatoes. Taste fresher this way. It`s Punchy. The spices and herbs "POP" better this way.Our unique 4-Cheese blend:Mozzarella, White Cheddar, Parmesan, and Romana. I love how mozzarella is so WHITE and how when cooked it stays white, but with little brown dots that appear when it`s done. Mozzarella is creamy white and gives the pizza a chewy texture which is a thumbs-up feature in the pizza world. The other 50% of my cheese blend, which is also freshly shredded on site daily, is Wisconsin white cheddar. Wisconsin white cheddar is extra flavorful, exactly the same price as Mozzarella, and is known for keeping the cheese soft the next day for those that eat cold pizza, or re-heated pizza. Our 3rd & 4th cheese added to each pie, is a couple thick pinches of both Romano, and Parmesan cheese, added on top, and baked into every pizza that leaves my front door. This is my own signature "4 cheese blend". We use only fresh made Pizza Dough:It is hand stretched. It's between a thin to medium thick crust. EVERY single pizza that leaves my premise has a crust that has been brushed with EVO which helps the crust brown nicely. Our pizza crust has great fold-ability and is soft and on the chewy side. Re-heating it in the oven will produce a crunchy crust. Re-heated pizza is the bomb because it dries up the crust more and makes the cheese hot and gooey again, yet the sauce is insulated, so it's not scolding. That's why a re-heated slice is easier to eat and more tasty actually!Toppings: All our toppings are fresh. We fresh slice all our veggies on premise except for our black olives, sweet peppers, & banana peppers. My personal favorite house-cooked topping is our bacon. It is very savory! We par-cook it 3/4 of the way in the oven by itself, dump off the grease, then blast chill it for storage. Then we cook it the rest of the way on the pizza. This way it is not greasy on the pizza. Affordability/Quality: Compared to chains $10. Pizzas, I admit we are expensive. But along with this fact, I hope while you eat our pizza, that you will agree it is more substantial as for its generous portion of rich hearty sauce, a generous portion of our 4-cheese blend, and a hearty portion of fresh delicious toppings. We are a "Mom & Pop" shop. You are reading about us now, contemplating to NOT choose a pizza chain for some reason. What was it? You were searching for a place that offers something better, more unique, and you were willing to pay a little more. We have coupoin specials that we honor even if you simply mention them. Its ok if you do have the coupon, but you must at least mention the offer. Ask for our 2-fer deal: Two XL 16" Cheese Pizzas for $27.99. If wings are a must add-on, ask for our Pizza and 10 wing deal: A XL 16" Cheese Pizza with 10 Regular or Boneless Wings, for only $22.99 About Us: Pino`s is NOT a chain as some think. This has been a family run business for 35 years. No second store anywhere. It has been in my family for 30 years after buying it from Pino Tomasello in 1986. I personally run the day to day operations since 1992. My wife Tracey handles the deposits, bills, and paperwork side of the business. Thank you Honey! We believe it is true that the best customer service and quality control comes from a store that is "owner operated" personally. Not where the owner is divided by 4-5 stores etc. We are happy doing one store and because of this, hopefully you will experience something better over-all. We only Serve BIG Pizzas: XL 16" Pizza for $15.99. Our NYC 20" Pizza for $21.99. Our 28" Super Party Pizza for only $36.99. Thank You, Jim Hofman Owner/Operator
Highland, New York
“Not good. But then again we're from NY.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're visiting from NY stay away from pizza in OC. We get better pizza in upstate NY where it is just average. If this is the best OC can offer, skip the pizza here. Crust was thick and not crisp, sauce was acidic, and the cheese was too thick and bland.

• Visited July 2013
Jim H, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Nick,

REALLY? ---Telling all New Yorkers to STAY AWAY? ---- Who are you?

Thanks for your comments but please, yet another “NYC Pizza-nothing compares” comment? “Better Pizza in NYC”? Enough with the better then all others attitude. It`s ugly.

Please, to any potential customer who is searching for NYC pizza, leave me alone and let me offer what we offer and sell what I sell. 9 out of 10 others LIKE it how I do it. I`m sticking to my 21 year tweaked formulas and measurements for my majority who approve “as-is”.

Yes, I realize new Yorkers have had the pleasure to experience crust at its best via coal ovens, and Bakers Pride stone ovens as well as a hard water product that help dry out the dough, but doo Chicagoans appreciate it when a New Yorker going there and says they prefer NYC pizza -NO they don`t. When in Rome man. Would you go to Italy and compare their pizza to NYC as well? --I hope not.

I`ve read every comment here and hear what people say through the years. The verdict is in: Some New Yorkers like my pizza, some don`t. This has been the case for my 21 years kicking here. With NYC customers, It`s been like a running joke of what their mind set and take with be. If a New Yorker wants identical NYC Pizza, forget it would be a safe response. I cannot reproduce, Do not expect it. Each customer seems to have a different experience from the next.

It blows my mind how back-to-back same day reviews, one customer will say “horrible experience” and then next one say “EXCELLENT”. It`s paculiar to say these least...and it`s partly why I just avoid replying at all.

But I do read all folks comments to keep aware of problems. I just noticed two comments in the same week about my pies being too saucy. I have brought this up to everyone to be more careful. I use 9 ounces of sauce which I have been prasied for as for its spicy flavors and pulpy texture. Too many pizzarias are skimpy on sauce. Not me. So If you are not a sauce fan, and still want to try my pizza, simply ask for light sauce.

Anyways, I love NYC pizza but come on, do not expect NYC pizza when you are not in NYC. When my wife and I go to NYC each winter to play, we do not expect fresh blue crabs, palm trees and 80 degrees sunshine. When we visit there a few times each winter, we go to John`s Pizza, Lombardi`s, and Grimaldi`s and expect our micro thin charred crust from the coal oven, along with light sauce and next to no fresh mozzarella cheese, 14” for 17.99! We accept that happily as how it is there. At my shop, my XL16” with three topping is 17.99 and easily weighs twice as much with sauce, chesses, and toppings. In MD and in PA, I feel people expect it to be allot more hearty then what`s served in Grimaldi`s and Lombardi’s. That how I make it at Pino`s. If someone wants very light sauce, very light cheese, and very light toppings, well they have to request it. Fine with me because I`ll save in food cost. Yes Lombardi`s and others, they are tourist traps as well, so can charge what they charge, so be it. I`m not a tourist trap. I have a large following that orders from me over and over each summer because they simply like my formulas and measurements. If I served Lombardi`s same 14” very light pizza in Ocean City for 17.99, I`d be out of business that month because the NYC fans of it would only be like 2-3%

By the way, I`m the only guy in town that offers a 20” pizza. That is the same size seen in Most NYC slice shops. So yes I copied that NYC 20” slice pie size and cut it into 8 big slices as well. Also, we just sell the whole 20” as a whole pie. I call it the NYC pie because it is a NYC common slice-pie size and NOT because it’s a true-to-the-tee replica of a NYC pizza. I cannot produce that as I do not have the same ovens or the same water. But I try. For slices, I let it get cold and a little stiff on a elevated rack which lets the steam off its bottom—and no heat lamp drying it out. This keeps preserves it moisture on top from drying out, and on bottom, allows the crust to dry out. Then when someone asks for a slice, it gets toasted up in the oven for 90 seconds or so. This technique officially makes a crispier crust. This procedure can be done at home as well with cold slices. My slices are better than my whole pizza because of this tactic. Same thing in NYC.

I want to explain something about pizza ovens now. We are a high volume delivery and carry-out establishment that uses triple-stack Middle Bee Marshall Conveyor belt ovens as all the chains use as well. They cook a decent crust but to brown the crust even better, each and every pie that goes into the oven 1st gets basted a salty EVO blend. Everyone know when you brush some EVO oil or butter onto the top of bread of a calzone or any dough based product, that it give it a golden crust. I achieve this with every pizza. Its more work and more money but I do it.
Anyways----going back to the reviewer’s comments: You say I do not have thin crust. I`d say it between thin to medium. I use a 21 ounce fresh made dough ball for each XL16” pizza. This classifies as thin to medium crust weight. A true thin cracker crust is something that has to come to the shop like a saltine cracker. That’s what Papa John does. I do not do that. If anyone wants a crispy crust on a delivered pizza, I recommend that you reheat it in the oven which in essence will dry out the crust that got moist from the steam in the box. Or, find a restaurant that takes it straight from the 900 degree coal oven to your table. I have thin crust and sometimes seem to boarder to medium by some. It’s a Maryland & PA crust (not Philly or NYC crust) Allot of folks from PA prefer at little more crust. Like I said, I call my crust thin to medium. This is evident when looking at 100`s and 100`s of photos in my years and years of albums at JimsGalaxy dot com Take a look as I photograph everything in my pizza kitchen daily.

Back to your comments: You say my cheese is bland and too much: Looking at 100`s of comments, I don`t think I`ve ever heard that one before. “Too much chhese?”---that’s a NEW YORK THING. Super light cheese is a NYC thing. I also do not like much cheese. If anyone from NYC wants it like Grimaldi`s and Lombardis, for starters say LIGHT CHEESE when ordering. Id also tell you to say "Well-Done", but all outr pies standard is well-done. The only way a customer can get a super well done crust with out the cheese burning is if you get 3 toppings to protect the cheese while its cooked for an added 2-3 minutes. This is why I offer 'The House Special" Its a XL16" pizza with three toppings for $17.99. It my way to promote customers to get allot of toppings so YES I can leave the pie in longer for that extra well done crust everyone wants.

You said ”Cheese is bland”. I fresh shred Mozzarella and Wisconsin white cheddar daily. Each 16” pizza also has one ounce of Parmesan and 1 ounce of Romano baked into it. It’s a 4 cheese blend which I believe has won me allot of excellent comments. Sorry it did not impress you. Most pizza joints just offer one cheese. I`m not changing a thing with my cheese.

You say my sauce is acidic.
I`m not even going there.
I`m the “Sauce Boss” and 100`s agree.
I`m not changing a thing.
I share the whole drawn out procedure at my link below.

Hope I cleared up a few things. Sorry for some attitude but I work too hard and too long at all this to not have a well earned opinion as well respectively.

Jim Hofman
Owner/Operator/Pizza inspector for 21 years
Pino`s Pizza is an Ocean City Original, has only one store in the heart of town now for 32 years and it will always stay that way. This is not a chain

United States
“Best Pizza Ever...WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Talk about an amazing pizza experience. Fast delivery, arrived perfectly hot, tasted better than any pizza I've ever had before. Sets the standard for all pizza from now on. The sauce is sweet with just a touch of spice, the crust is both chewy and crunchy and the toppings are so yummy.

Definitely getting this pizza again the next time I am in OC. I can't wait!!!

• Visited July 2013
Cresson, Pennsylvania
“wife loves this pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our kids prevented us from dining out so we decided to do takeout a couple of nights. We ordered the family meal of pizza, wings, salad and soda. All was yummy and we had leftovers for lunch the next day. I recommend this place and went there because of reviews like this. We will get again on next visit. So many places to eat in OC so it must be good because we get it every year. The pizza is the best part. Wings are decent. seem to have nice people working there also.

Frederick, Maryland
“great pizza!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We saw this place reviews and decided to go pick up some pizza, even though the place was 2 miles away from our hotel, and there were many other pizza places around the hotel.

We were not disappointed. The dough was crunchy at the bottom but very elastic and tasty. We regularly don't like the sauces that most pizza places use, but this one was very good--tasted like fresh tomatoes.

We also got some spicy wings. Although they were described as "jumbo" sized, they were not; however, they were pretty good.

We wish we had this pizza where we live!

1 Thank nhermida
McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great pizza, wings and salads were beyond awful.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Just get pizza which is amazing. Skip the combo. Better then an pizza then where I am from. We got 40 wings and ate 2. Threw both salads away as they were very old and gross.