“Yeah...that's what I thought.”
Review of Pino's Pizza

Pino's Pizza
Ranked #49 of 439 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: We re-open Friday May 12th 2017! and close up for the season after the 2nd weekend of Oct. We offer 10 minute Carry-out, or Fast Delivery to all of Ocean City. NO EAT IN. 81st street Coastal Highway. 2017 is our 36th year! How we make our Sauce: Our pizza is most noted for its tasty sauce as well as not being skimpy with it. In 25 years of being in the pizza biz, we have never ever deviated from buying the best, most delicious, and most expensive, cold packed plum tomatoes from Stanislaus County California. We buy it fresh ground and its not from concentrate. Its texture is bits-and-pieces and we add only 10% water. There is enough in the ground plum tomatoes already. Then we add our own preportioned large bag of spices and herbs mix. In this biz, it called the "Goodie-Bag". It consists of Oregano, Parsley, Basil, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & hot crushed peppers. We wioll not tell you portion so out flavor stays original and unique. We boil these 8 spices and herbs like a loose tea brew, and then combine this brew to cold smashed tomatoes pieces and puree. WahLa---done. No cooking the tomatoes. Taste fresher this way. It`s Punchy. The spices and herbs "POP" better this way.Our unique 4-Cheese blend:Mozzarella, White Cheddar, Parmesan, and Romana. I love how mozzarella is so WHITE and how when cooked it stays white, but with little brown dots that appear when it`s done. Mozzarella is creamy white and gives the pizza a chewy texture which is a thumbs-up feature in the pizza world. The other 50% of my cheese blend, which is also freshly shredded on site daily, is Wisconsin white cheddar. Wisconsin white cheddar is extra flavorful, exactly the same price as Mozzarella, and is known for keeping the cheese soft the next day for those that eat cold pizza, or re-heated pizza. Our 3rd & 4th cheese added to each pie, is a couple thick pinches of both Romano, and Parmesan cheese, added on top, and baked into every pizza that leaves my front door. This is my own signature "4 cheese blend". We use only fresh made Pizza Dough:It is hand stretched. It's between a thin to medium thick crust. EVERY single pizza that leaves my premise has a crust that has been brushed with EVO which helps the crust brown nicely. Our pizza crust has great fold-ability and is soft and on the chewy side. Re-heating it in the oven will produce a crunchy crust. Re-heated pizza is the bomb because it dries up the crust more and makes the cheese hot and gooey again, yet the sauce is insulated, so it's not scolding. That's why a re-heated slice is easier to eat and more tasty actually!Toppings: All our toppings are fresh. We fresh slice all our veggies on premise except for our black olives, sweet peppers, & banana peppers. My personal favorite house-cooked topping is our bacon. It is very savory! We par-cook it 3/4 of the way in the oven by itself, dump off the grease, then blast chill it for storage. Then we cook it the rest of the way on the pizza. This way it is not greasy on the pizza. Affordability/Quality: Compared to chains $10. Pizzas, I admit we are expensive. But along with this fact, I hope while you eat our pizza, that you will agree it is more substantial as for its generous portion of rich hearty sauce, a generous portion of our 4-cheese blend, and a hearty portion of fresh delicious toppings. We are a "Mom & Pop" shop. You are reading about us now, contemplating to NOT choose a pizza chain for some reason. What was it? You were searching for a place that offers something better, more unique, and you were willing to pay a little more. We have coupoin specials that we honor even if you simply mention them. Its ok if you do have the coupon, but you must at least mention the offer. Ask for our 2-fer deal: Two XL 16" Cheese Pizzas for $27.99. If wings are a must add-on, ask for our Pizza and 10 wing deal: A XL 16" Cheese Pizza with 10 Regular or Boneless Wings, for only $22.99 About Us: Pino`s is NOT a chain as some think. This has been a family run business for 35 years. No second store anywhere. It has been in my family for 30 years after buying it from Pino Tomasello in 1986. I personally run the day to day operations since 1992. My wife Tracey handles the deposits, bills, and paperwork side of the business. Thank you Honey! We believe it is true that the best customer service and quality control comes from a store that is "owner operated" personally. Not where the owner is divided by 4-5 stores etc. We are happy doing one store and because of this, hopefully you will experience something better over-all. We only Serve BIG Pizzas: XL 16" Pizza for $15.99. Our NYC 20" Pizza for $21.99. Our 28" Super Party Pizza for only $36.99. Thank You, Jim Hofman Owner/Operator
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Anytime I see a highly rated place where most of the reviews are from folks with only 1 previous review, I am immediately skeptical. With that in mind, my daughter and I set out to Pino's. The service was friendly and the ingredients seemed fresh. The pizza is your average utility pizza. The crust lacked the "chew" that a good NY style pizza has. The sauce was average. Nothing about this pizza inspires me nor does it offend me.

They have been in business a long time in a competitive resort area. I'm sure they figured out an average pizza can be enjoyed by most people without fuss.

1  Thank Yeti249
Travelbunnies, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for writing a review.

But we close seasonally Oct 1st, and you just wrote this January 25th, about 4 months later.....??.... You write it as if you just ate the pizza? That is strange and makes me question this review. Whats going on here? But you actually said some alright things about my shop such as service was friendly and that toppings seemed fresh (they are), so thanks for that.

But you question why I have so many one comment reviews. Well for starters, I’m probably the only pizza shop in the world that prints "Please rate our pizza and service at TripAdvisor.com Thank you for your order!", onto over 50,000 boxes a years as seen here:

This process is an aggressive technique I use to pump up my review totals. Also every pizza box gets a Trip Advisor card also asking for a review.

So anyways, you also said my crust lack the chew that a NYC pie has. I disagree respectively. I think my fresh made dough that I cook well done always, has a nice "chew". Actually please read a bunch of my reviews. Allot of folks says it a chewy crust. I personally want to go for a charred crunchy crust. I will cook a crust till the cheese starts to burn. This is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when a customer orders a pie with two or 3 toppings because that protects the cheese allowing me to cook the crust yet even another 2 minutes giving it that golden dark crunchy crust that make a pizza over the top.

Because of this fact about the toppings protecting the cheese, I decided to bring back 2010`s "HOUSE SPECIAL", which is a Extra Large 16" pizza with up to 3 generous toppings for $17.99. Its 8 big scrumptious slices that feeds 3-4. My 16" XL Pizzas are 15.99 each and $2.50 per topping. But with this HOUSE SPECIAL you get 3 full topping for only 2 bucks total extra. All these topping means an extra well-done crunchy crust. Sound good?

You say my sauce was average! Your opinion is not what hundreds say here. Look I respect my type of pizza just was not your type of pizza. I get that with some people and accept that. But over-all, as for the statistics and numbers here, I am officially Ocean City`s "Sauce-Boss". I will explain. For 21 years that I have owned and operated this store, my only store, I have never deviated from the best, most delicious and most expensive cold packed plum tomatoes from Stanislaus County California. I personally blend them into chucky bits and pieces texture, with my own prepared bag of spices and herbs that I personally mix. It`s called my “Goodie-Bag”. It consist of my own proportions of Oregano, Parsley, basil, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & hot crushed peppers. It has been the same mixture of spices and herbs for the 24 years this business has been in my family’s name. It’s a punchy sauce! You might notice how when you get closer to the crust the sauce gets heavier. This is a trick I apply to all my pizzas: Once you get near the crust, the crust is thicker, & needs more sauce. I tell each pie maker, “Give me a tsunami of sauce on the outer circle”. You never need to ask for extra sauce at Pino`s. It comes that way. Thick & scrumptious. But if STILL, you insist and ask for extra, there is no extra charge ever. So what I am saying here is my sauce is anything but "average". I welcome anyone else to pop into my shop and challenge what I am saying here. I hope I do not come off as arrogant with everything I have said, but I have no secrets here. I have not “figured out how to make an average pizza". I charge allot or my pizzas, but you get allot for your money. I know and I have proven in 21 years here, that make it extra hearty, take each pie very seriously, and the customer will notice and they will come back over and over till you stop doing that.

About my special cheese blend:

Pinos` Pizza Cheese blend is 50% Mozzarella Cheese, which is a white and chewy delicious cheese. I personally love how mozzarella is so WHITE and how when cooked it stays white, but with little brown dots that appear when it`s done. Mozzarella gives my pizza a chewy texture which is a thumbs-up feature in the pizza world. The other 50% is also fresh shredded on site daily, which is Wisconsin White Cheddar. Wisconsin white cheddar is extra flavorful, as well as known for keeping the cheese soft the next day for those that eat cold pizza, or re-heat pizza. Tons of amateur pizza critics out that say white cheddar is cheaper than Mozz- WRONG. White Cheddar is 2.19 a pound as Mozzarella is $2.15 a pound. In addition to these two base-cheese blends, every pie also has about a ¼ cup of a 50/50 blend of grated Romano and parmesan cheese but right on top, mixed into the mozzarella and white cheddar blend, as well as right on the crust. Then it’s all melted together as it cooked for 6 minutes at 600 degrees. The parmesan and Romano mixed into the cheese before the pizza is baked, works out better this way as for texture and blend, opposed to shaking a bunch of it on the pizza after it comes out. When I pick-up and pizza, I always put allot of parmesan and Romano cheeses on top along with hot peppers. But I feel bad when I send off a delivery and they don`t get those things. So I sort of took care of this by including a generous mix of Parmesan and Romano right into the pizza`s top. Hope you love it. Also added into this mix is some basil and oregano as you see it cooked into the top of you pizza. For the record, the sauce also is loaded with spices and herbs as mentioned earlier. After eating a slice or two, you will taste the tingle of the crushed red hot peppers and garlic in the sauce.

DOUGH:
I use only fresh made pizza dough that is hand tossed.
It’s between a thin to medium thick crust. I`d say more towards medium thickness as I feel it is a tad thicker than NYC pizza. EVERY single pizza that leaves my premise has a crust that has been painted with my own blend of olive oil, salt and minced garlic. This gives the crust some added flavor, and the oil helps the crust brown nice. My pizza crust has great fold-ability and is soft and on the chewy side. Re-heating it in the oven will produce a crunchy crust. Re-heated pizza is the bomb because it dries up the crust more and makes the cheese hot and gooey again, yet the sauce is insulated, so it’s not scolding to the tongue. That’s why a re-heated slice is easier to eat and more tasty actually! I say this every day to everyone.

Toppings:
We have no freezers! All of our topping are fresh. We fresh slice all our veggies on premise except for our black olives & artichokes, which do come in a can. But they taste great. We offer two extra special toppings but with no extra charge for being extra special: One specialty featured-topping I always boast about for years now, is my fresh cooked real bacon pizza topping. I cook it half way in the oven by itself (50% par cooked), then cooked the rest of the way on the pizza. This way it gets pre-degreased but not entirely. You want some more left over on the bacon for flavor. This all is more work and effort, but it’s an added treat for you, my customer!

We open back up for our 32nd year on Friday March 29th, 2013. My 21st year!

Thank you.

Owner/operator/pizza inspector for 21 years

There are newer reviews for Pino's Pizza

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were very anxious to try Pino's as we are loyal OCMD vacationers and had never tried it. The pics on Tripadvisor and the reviews sounded great. I have to say that it may be the best pie in OC, but not outstanding.

Travelbunnies, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank for trying our pizza back in August and writing a late-review. I wish your review would have been a bit longer in explanation in terms of breaking down reviewing my pizzas components such as actual detail about my sauce, cheese, and crust, instead of a somewhat negative title without describing why. I always yearn to hear “details” when anyone is giving my pizza a review.

I always serve a unique zippy and hearty home-made sauce. I use a 4-cheese blend. I use fresh-made dough that I now, as of the end of August 2012, serve as a thinner crust which is now also basted with salty EVO on the entire bottom half. I was happy to discover this created the much sought after golden crust. I`m excited about this change because of the enhanced flavor, texture, as well as the visual of a golden brown crust.

I look forward to our coming 32nd season starting March 29th 2013, in hopes that everyone pops in try 1st hand what I just described to you. I know New Yorkers will approve as they always ride me for a thinner crispier crust!

Lastly, once again, I just wanted to remind all Trip Advisor members that we are closed during the winter off-season. We open back up for our 32nd season on Friday March 29th, 2013. We are open 6 months a year (April thru Sept).

-owner/operator/pizza-chef & inspector for 20 years

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Once again our Pizza experience was delicious. Only fresh ingredients, delicious crust, perfect sauce, and generous toppings. The quality is top priority for this restaurant, even late in the season. Sadly they have closed for the cold months, but gives us something to look forward to when they re-open!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Looking for pizza late in the season and tried Pinos. Ordered a 3 meat pizza that was very good - uncluding a delicious crust - though a bit pricey. Owner was very chatty and introduced himself which is nice PR. Although they were closing the next day, the pizza was great!

Travelbunnies, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank for writing a review. You had mentioned about us closing the next day. I`m just making sure all Trip Advosor members know we are ONLY closing for the winter off-season, as always. We open back up for our 34th season on March 29th, 2013. We are open 6 months a year (April thru Sept) and closed 6 months a year (October thru March). Well anyways, glad you loved our pizza and our new thin & well cooked crust that is now basted with salty EVO on the bottom half. I`m pretty happy about it because of the enhanced flavor and especially how it browns the crust beautifully.

-owner/operator/pizza inspector for 20 years

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Every time we're here, we get the Pino's Party. Boneless wings are tasty and Pizza is even better. Great for when you're feeding a bunch of people.