“They lie about using 100% mozzarella on their menu”
Review of Pino's Pizza

Pino's Pizza
Ranked #49 of 440 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: We re-open Friday May 12th 2017! and close up for the season after the 2nd weekend of Oct. We offer 10 minute Carry-out, or Fast Delivery to all of Ocean City. NO EAT IN. 81st street Coastal Highway. 2017 is our 36th year! How we make our Sauce: Our pizza is most noted for its tasty sauce as well as not being skimpy with it. In 25 years of being in the pizza biz, we have never ever deviated from buying the best, most delicious, and most expensive, cold packed plum tomatoes from Stanislaus County California. We buy it fresh ground and its not from concentrate. Its texture is bits-and-pieces and we add only 10% water. There is enough in the ground plum tomatoes already. Then we add our own preportioned large bag of spices and herbs mix. In this biz, it called the "Goodie-Bag". It consists of Oregano, Parsley, Basil, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & hot crushed peppers. We wioll not tell you portion so out flavor stays original and unique. We boil these 8 spices and herbs like a loose tea brew, and then combine this brew to cold smashed tomatoes pieces and puree. WahLa---done. No cooking the tomatoes. Taste fresher this way. It`s Punchy. The spices and herbs "POP" better this way.Our unique 4-Cheese blend:Mozzarella, White Cheddar, Parmesan, and Romana. I love how mozzarella is so WHITE and how when cooked it stays white, but with little brown dots that appear when it`s done. Mozzarella is creamy white and gives the pizza a chewy texture which is a thumbs-up feature in the pizza world. The other 50% of my cheese blend, which is also freshly shredded on site daily, is Wisconsin white cheddar. Wisconsin white cheddar is extra flavorful, exactly the same price as Mozzarella, and is known for keeping the cheese soft the next day for those that eat cold pizza, or re-heated pizza. Our 3rd & 4th cheese added to each pie, is a couple thick pinches of both Romano, and Parmesan cheese, added on top, and baked into every pizza that leaves my front door. This is my own signature "4 cheese blend". We use only fresh made Pizza Dough:It is hand stretched. It's between a thin to medium thick crust. EVERY single pizza that leaves my premise has a crust that has been brushed with EVO which helps the crust brown nicely. Our pizza crust has great fold-ability and is soft and on the chewy side. Re-heating it in the oven will produce a crunchy crust. Re-heated pizza is the bomb because it dries up the crust more and makes the cheese hot and gooey again, yet the sauce is insulated, so it's not scolding. That's why a re-heated slice is easier to eat and more tasty actually!Toppings: All our toppings are fresh. We fresh slice all our veggies on premise except for our black olives, sweet peppers, & banana peppers. My personal favorite house-cooked topping is our bacon. It is very savory! We par-cook it 3/4 of the way in the oven by itself, dump off the grease, then blast chill it for storage. Then we cook it the rest of the way on the pizza. This way it is not greasy on the pizza. Affordability/Quality: Compared to chains $10. Pizzas, I admit we are expensive. But along with this fact, I hope while you eat our pizza, that you will agree it is more substantial as for its generous portion of rich hearty sauce, a generous portion of our 4-cheese blend, and a hearty portion of fresh delicious toppings. We are a "Mom & Pop" shop. You are reading about us now, contemplating to NOT choose a pizza chain for some reason. What was it? You were searching for a place that offers something better, more unique, and you were willing to pay a little more. We have coupoin specials that we honor even if you simply mention them. Its ok if you do have the coupon, but you must at least mention the offer. Ask for our 2-fer deal: Two XL 16" Cheese Pizzas for $27.99. If wings are a must add-on, ask for our Pizza and 10 wing deal: A XL 16" Cheese Pizza with 10 Regular or Boneless Wings, for only $22.99 About Us: Pino`s is NOT a chain as some think. This has been a family run business for 35 years. No second store anywhere. It has been in my family for 30 years after buying it from Pino Tomasello in 1986. I personally run the day to day operations since 1992. My wife Tracey handles the deposits, bills, and paperwork side of the business. Thank you Honey! We believe it is true that the best customer service and quality control comes from a store that is "owner operated" personally. Not where the owner is divided by 4-5 stores etc. We are happy doing one store and because of this, hopefully you will experience something better over-all. We only Serve BIG Pizzas: XL 16" Pizza for $15.99. Our NYC 20" Pizza for $21.99. Our 28" Super Party Pizza for only $36.99. Thank You, Jim Hofman Owner/Operator
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Pinos uses about 66% white cheddar, a cheap flavorless substitute, and about 33% mozzarella. What you get is a pizza with an odd color and worse taste. Even Papa Johns uses 100% mozzarella, which is the way a real pizza is made.

Considering how bad the pizza is, it's still better than their subs or wings. They have no grill and microwave their cheesteaks which leaves you with tough meat to chew on, and their "jumbo" wings are the smallest I have ever seen.

Best advice to anyone looking for good pizza in Ocean City, MD. is to always ask if they use cheddar cheese on their pizza before ordering. If they say yes go somewhere else.

I can personally recommend Armand's in South Bethany, DE. for deep dish, or Miones in West Ocean City or Devitos in North Ocean City.

5  Thank EQfan
Travelbunnies, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2010

Thanks for taking time to write into TripAdvisor several years back.

But I gotta say at that time in the summer of 2007, when you asked me about my cheese blend, It was 2 part cheddar, to 1 part mozzarealla mix. 66 to 33. There was no shame in that blend. Yes cheddar is not as white as mozzarella, but we mix it, so its not an issue and never has been. We loved the mix we used at that time. Our custoimers loved it since 1982. That was the chesse blend that I advertised in "almost every ad or profile. There was ONE ad or profile that listed it wrong as 100% mozzarella. It was a mistake. I realize you have made it clear you are thumbs up for all mozzarealla, but that is not the be all end all in my opinion. I`m wondering did you even get a pizza from us or just ask about what our cheese blend was, and assume what it looks and taste like? One thing I do know is one little slip and boy do I have to hear about it in detail on trip advisor. It is what it is. I am fine with that.

I do not remember what profile or ad that it was, but that is long gone.

A few years ago, i did change up my cheese blend a bit. You will be happy to hear I went to 50% mozzarella and 50% Wisconsin white cheddar. In all my ads, it absolutely saysmy cheese blend is 50% fresh shreaded mozzarella, and 50% fresh shredded Wisconsin white cheddar.

For several years I have been the sole person doing all ads so I know there is not one article or profile that says we use 100% mozzarella. They all mention my 50/50 blend.

Customers rave about it. in 28 years, you are the only person to bash white cheddar. White cheddar has much more flavor then mozzarella. White cheddar is what keeps the cheese softer after it cools down. White cheddar is what make for incredibly delicious pizza reheated. The Mozzarella is a chewy cheese and more white but actually lacks in the taste department compared to cheddar. It makes up for it though with its texture and more white visual with cute little brown coooking dots whn its done. Mozzarealla and white cheddar compliment each other well.

The pizza shops that do not blend several cheeses are just being lazy I feel. You say cheedar is a cheap substitute. That is incorrect as it has always cost almost the same. Maybe 5% less. Mozzarella is $1.94 a pound, and white cheddar is $1.85 a pound.

Year after year,since you wrote your comments here, it was shortly after that, that I finally went to the 50/50 blend and i am happy with the taste and texture of the blend.

Actually, at one time we made 100% mozzarella pies earlier this year. But the cheese became very tough and dry after it cooled down. That was not acceptable to me. That does not occur with the blend.

I shread my cheeses daily on premise.
Pizza chains have it pre-shreaded, and who nows how long ago. This absolutely negatively affects the flavor and how it cooks.

Your 1 star rating has tarnished my standing on Trip Advisorfor several years, yet it has not even been the mix ratio I`v used for over 3 years. I can prove this and have e-mailed your directly about what our mix is, but have not heard from you.

I just hope you will try our pie with our 50/50 cheese blend one day,
and let me know what you think. To actually look at what our 50/50 blend looks like,
please search for us on Facebook. Search for Pinos Pizza Ocean City.
I am very visual, and I think it looks superb personally. I have been fine tuning making a delicious pizza now for 18 years but will continue to be open to grow and change as I learn
what the customers are yearning for.

Have a great time next time in Ocean City Maryland.

Jim Hofman
owner since 1992

Reviewed November 24, 2007

After ordering and paying for our Italian Subs I asked if they used Capicola ham. The person behind the counter said no. He said they used Honey Ham, Salami and Provolone Cheese.

I am pretty sure that honey ham did not originate in Italy.

A true Italian cold cut should have Proscutinni or another Good Italian Ham, Salami, Mortadella, Capicola and Provolone. Pino's is just a ham and cheese.

The Salami was cut so thin I could not taste it.

I watched the sub being made, the person had to unwrap it twice to, first to add pickles (which turned out to be sweet, YUCK) and second to add onions.

The sub was the worst Italian Sub I have ever eaten.

3  Thank ilcub4ucme
Travelbunnies, Owner at Pino's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Hi ilbcub4ucme,
Thank you for your comments. It helped me allot. I do crave people`s opinions and I do make changes accordingly. I just want to mention to this reviwer and to anyone reading this review about my subs, that this review is out-dated ---almost 4 years old. I have responded throughout the years saying sorry, and that I fixed the problem, but to no response and 2nd review after the problem was fixed. This 1 star review that has haunted me ever since 2007, even though, like I said, I fixed the problem immediatey after reading it online.

Don`t folks get a chance to redeam themselves? Even murderers get out of jail after a certain amount of time. Yes I admit at that time way back when, that It was not a real Italian sub. But, the moment I saw your review, like I`ve said many times to no reply, I changed my cold cut meats to have exactly what you suggested.

This review has haunted me for almost 4 years and running.
Oh well what can I say?

Well what I will say is that I welcome anyone to walk in my shop at 81st street on Coastal Highway in Ocean City Maryland, and to ask anyone working, to show you our sub station table, so you can see we only carry the Italian meats the gentleman suggested I should use i.e:

Genoa Salami,
Proscuitti Peppered Ham
Mortadella,
Capicola,
& Provolone

If anyone is an Italian Sub fan, I promise you will now be very pleased with my Italian sub. I seve an 7" small or a 13" large. Both are served on Diambrosia Italian rolls brought down from philly daily.

Also anyone is welcome to peek into my shop to see our world, our faces, our food by searching for Pinos Pizza Ocean City.

Hope to see you soon!

Jim Hofman -Owner 18 years-

Reviewed October 16, 2007

Dough roller was the worst pizza we have ever tried; however, Pino's is the best. Getting into Ocean City late on Friday nights made fining good food a nightmere until we tried Pino. Now every year, Pino it is our first stop when we get to the Beach!

1  Thank Barb2d
Reviewed October 14, 2007

great pizza! avoid the multiple dough roller locations and stop in Pino's on 81st ! the sauce is made fresh on location and is delicious. our pizza was cooked just right!

1  Thank chaoticbliss
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Recently, my family of 6 had the great opportunity to visit ocean city. PIzza is a main food item when we are on the road, we had great service and an absolutely excellent tasting pizza. We could not get enough and went back more the once while we were there for 5 days. We will return to Ocean City as well as make a repeat visit or more to Pino's

1  Thank loml4