“Beautiful setting, some dishes great, others not”

The Hobbit Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 418 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: American, International, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: An absolute escape from Ocean City. A place to indulge in inventive American cuisine and mouthwatering seafood while overlooking one of the most picturesque views you have ever laid eyes on. If you're looking to simply come in for some appetizers and a few cocktails our bartenders make great company at the bar that maintains the same breathtaking views. So next time you're wondering where to go to enjoy an exceptional meal, stop by The Hobbit and step into a classy, sleak, but most importantly comfortable world of dining excellence. We are located in the bottom floor of the Rivendell Condominium at 81st on the Bay and we offer our full menu daily beginning at 5 p.m.
Allendale, New Jersey
“Beautiful setting, some dishes great, others not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This restaurant is absolutely beautiful...a wall of glass facing the harbor with all tables getting a great view of the sunset sky. That was spetacular!
I really enjoyed my salad with mixed greens, dried cherries, cashews and cheddar. Large portion for a salad...I could have made that my meal.
My entree was just OK...veal with pistachios. Not bad, just a little bland and the pistachios are not a good texture to add to this dish...not crunchy, kinda soggy. My husband had a caesar salad and steak...these were OK, but kind of ordinary for the price.
Service was great. When we were leaving, they let us go out onto this little balcony area so I could get some good sunset shots. The LOTR theme is not really carried through beyond the front door and the reference isn't really relevant to what the restaurant is about other than Hobbits appreciate a good meal :)

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Theresa C

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, not spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Decided to give the Hobbit a try after reading several excellent reviews. It's easy to sell the place based on the location. However, we were not aware of the history of the restaurant and found the restaurant name totally out of character for the setting. Not a big deal.

We ordered clams casino and a pear salad for appetizers. We could have used some bread prior to the appetizers, but it arrived simultaneouly with the appetizers. Cashew encrusted salmon and the duck as mains. So here's the problem. Last week, we had purchased pistachio encrusted salmon at Whole Foods which was excellent. I had expected the salmon to be well beyond something we could prepare at home but it wasn't. And although the duck was good, the recipe was routine and unimaginative with a light fruity glaze.

I usually don't comment on coffee in my restaurant reviews as I consider it a mere supplemement to dessert. Need I say more than the fact that I asked our server if she accidentally served me decaf. We also ordered napoleaned cannolis or cannolied napoleans....looked like 4 sugar cookies with several dollops of ricotta.

We found the Hobbit to be good, not great and probably won't return. If you want a predictable piece of salmon, duck or filet mignon which is prepared with little risk taking, go for it... that's what we go to the Capital Grille or Legal Seafood for. However, if you are looking for something unforgettable and uniquely in it's ingredients and presentation, there are better shore options.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MrDelmarva
Ocean City, Maryland
“Food was a big/expensive let down.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Took my girlfriend for our anniversary as we had heard good things and never been.

Great atmosphere when we got there, awesome tuna tar tar appetizer and bought a bottle of cakebread chard for the going rate.

Salad was ok but my entre was TERRIBLE.

Didn't mind paying 34 bucks for lobster pasta going into it but I didn't even eat the pasta because it was really terrible.

The lobster tail was a decent size (could have used some butter or something though), but the actual pasta was a huge let down.

I kid you not when I say I would rather have Chef Boyardee from a can. NOT JOKING.

The noodles looked like kid's mac and cheese, the sauce had no flavor and the peppers in it were soggy, gross, and indistinguishable from the noodles almost.

I ate the dry lobster tail and didn't touch the pasta after the first 2 bites. The server didn't ask me why, but I wasn't going to send it back as I new that this was as good as it gets with this dish.

The server was friendly none the less and we left after my $217 meal for two people that I didn't like.

BIG LET DOWN. Hope the head chef was off that night.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank GoHomePennsylvania
Ashburn, Virginia
“always a pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The atmosphere, food and service, a great combination! It closes in October and only reopens in april (dislike)

Visited September 2012
Duryea, Pennsylvania, United States
“You'll find no gold ring here, My Pretty"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Took family to the "new" restaurant. Beautiful layout if you want people to LOOK at your restaurant. Mother Nature's sunset is the ONLY attraction. Now we HAD been going there for 20 years and never missed it on our vacations. Minimal menu, PRIME RIB GONE, over-priced, under-cooked food, and at one time NOT ONE PERSON from WAITSTAFF on the floor....and they were NOT that busy. Don't know where they were hiding! But know the reasons why. Find another "old" restaurant that has had the SMARTS to NOT CHANGE something that ISN'T broken and likes to keep their clientele. Save your money and see the sunset a different way.

• Visited September 2012