“Disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My review is a but late but I wanted to get it done, regardless.

Every time we come to the beach, I make my husband come here and every time we come, he wonders why.

Growing up, Melvin's was a tradition and I hate to say it but I think that family tradition will end with me. It's just not what it used to be. The food is subpar and honestly, comping it just doesn't help. The decor just looks sad now. It's dimly lit, I suppose to add atmosphere, but just makes everything look dingy.

I believe Melvin's needs to revamp their attitude. Me. Melvin and family are always very accommodating but I wonder-and worry-how far that will get them and how good it is for business. It seems they should be focusing on getting it right the first time rather than fixing the mistakes.

I hope they are able to turn it all around. It would break my heart if they closed down.

2 Thank ErinW128

Falling Waters, West Virginia
“worst restaurant experience ever!!!!!!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

When I arrived at the restaurant man seating us was very rude & looked like a busboy with a dirty apron (but I let that slide - should have left then) came to find out later he was the owner! Waitress took 20 mins to even come take our order. Then took 50 min for my food to be served. I asked for medium new york steak burnt on one side (worse tasting steak I have ever eaten). Waitress never came back to check once she delivered the food. When cashier asked how my meal was when I told her she got defensive & rude and smart attitude. Then she notified the man who seated us he got hostile - I bet if I had a man with me it would have been a different story. I was afraid to say anyting else so I decided to dispute this charge with my credit card company. Note; when I went to use the bathroom an wash my hands their was no water. Bathroom sink water was shut-off. SO DO YOURELF A BIG FAVOR AND SAVE YOUR MONEY ... eat any where else!

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank Kathleen C
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Worst experience ever.!!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

First the owner was very rude to us as we can in and asked to be seated he rudely said get in line and he'll get to us then. The waitress took 20 mins to even come take our order. We asked for med well and the meat was burnt. Then when they brought us the bill, we asked for seperate checks and she told us to work it out at the register. The lady there was so rude. She said we were told they didn't split checks when we came in. ( which they didn't). She even got worst. She got smart with my friend when she wanted to tell her that the drinks were not added to the check yet. My lovely daughter so kindly said what is it with the attitude in here? of course she became defensive and said she was a professional and was being rude. When we all said we were going to call our credit card company's on Mondday to get the bill taken off she wasn't happy. And if that wasn't enough , the owner came to the parking lot and tapped on the window, only to be stupid and say we missed what the whole thing was about. and was an Bleep... I said then why did you come out to our car in the first place if you weren't going to do anything about it. As he walked away we were still talking to him and he just pretended he didn't hear us. He kept saying " what did you say , I can't hear you" ... SO DO YOURELF A BIG FAVOR AND SAVE YOUR MONEY ... THE FOOD WAS BURNT. BAD SERVICE AND THE OWNER WAS AN Bleep.

• Visited September 2012
7 Thank Rose C
oreocola, Owner at Melvin's Steak House, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
As the owner of Melvin's steakhouse, I'll accept all reviews and as the owner I do get the privilege to review all reviews, these nice 4 ladies deserve what every body wants when they come to Melvin's steakhouse deserves, and that a great dining experience and that's what my staff and family give every night . This restaurant will cater to any customer , but don't be demanding and impatient and say to me that everything is alright when I come to your table to check on service and your meal and when it's time to pay and complain to the last person in the restaurant you see about everything that was wrong , and find out that that lady is ....surprise .... My wife ,it don't work that way here , you had your chance to say something and you didn't , you yell at my wife , you get me
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellence all around-food, service, and great desserts!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We always include a dinner at Melvin's during our frequent trips to OC. The owners and staff are friendly and welcoming. The steaks are excellent and perfectly prepared; the chicken is great along with several seafood choices. Save room for scrumptious cakes and cheesecake by Chef Tony. Great for family dining too.

Gaithersburg
“Fail! Not a 'real' steakhouse.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having passed by Melvin's Steak House for decades, in mid-August 2012, we finally decided to go in and see how/why it has survived 'since 1946'. Our mistake, we should have kept going and just let our imagination continue to wonder.

The first thing we saw was a large table with 4 adults and at least 8 small children and one of those kids screamed the whole time we were there. The booth we were sat in was icky and sticky as well as the 30 year old reddish plastic table cloth ...and the decor, well, let me tell you, if you enjoy tacky, grimy, run down 1940's then you'll love Melvin's. A bright spot was the waitress who was nice and friendly.

First the salad bar. It's a very small, approx. 4 ft salad bar made for midgets but at least the veggies were fresh and the salads dressings were very good, even tasted homemade which I give high points for - since it wasn't the same old cheap, watered down SYSCO crap they serve all over OC. We were hopeful. But the bread basket was a dud, featuring two really cheap, unappealing dinner rolls. I ordered the Dayton's Fried Chicken dinner, which was so salty, I barely ate any and it came with basic cheapo canned green beans. ($13.00)

Hubby ordered the 16oz Ribeye, Medium Rare for $26.00. What he received was obviously the 'House' $16 SIRLOIN steak, which was sliced a thin inch high, but wide and round, cooked to Medium, but still charged for the Ribeye.

A true Medium Rare has a 50% RED CENTER. This steak was cooked all the way through, was one same pink color throughout, with no 'raw' meat showing in the middle. The middle section should be the RARE of the Medium RARE, which is RAW. The meat had a weird grain (SEE PHOTOS) and a cheap, chewy texture like hamburger that had not been ground yet. Definitely not a Ribeye and completely tasteless, no seasonings used.

A man who was dressed like a busboy, came over to our table and asked my husband how he liked his steak... was cooked right? (I will assume this was the owner, Mr. Melvin since he did not bother to identify himself.) My husband told him the steak was over-cooked. Mr. Melvin (assuming it was he) was INCREDULOUS! "You think that's NOT Medium Rare? Hrrrrummph! That's how WE cook M/R here at Melvin's!"

The Owner/Busboy got extremely HUFFY and insisted on taking hubby's plate away to show the 'Chef' (as he called him) what we thought was Medium or more -- I guess to laugh at us 'stoopid customers' who supposedly don't know what medium rare is. (We asked him to bring the meat back so we could take it home to our dog.) While he was in the kitchen, I pulled out the ol' iPhone and googled photos of Medium Rare steak, to show him that it's supposed to have a RED CENTER. Mr. Melvin told us we were CRAZY (literally) and he became very contentious. Hubby said to him: "Go to Ruth's Chris and see how they cook a M/R steak!" and Owner said "Why go there, it's too expensive!" And with that he huffed off.

Mr. Melvin - we'd rather pay $45 or more for a QUALITY Prime or Angus cut of beef, cooked to our liking - than pay $26 for a fake steak (Sirloin) that's tasteless and over-cooked. How can a "Steak House" not know how to properly cook a steak? And more importantly, how can a steak house not be able to tell the difference between a Sirloin and a Ribeye? Ribeyes are not cut into a perfectly round disks, they're usually cut oblong into a strip with at least one straight side. On hubby's plate, the 'eye' of Ribeye was none existent and displayed no marbling at all.

We had high hopes that it was the food that's kept Melvin's going for over 60 years. However, after eating there we're are not sure what the attraction is and our curiosity has been eternally satisfied. This place is a joke and the OC health department needs to check in. Dirty, dirty, dirty!

FYI to future Melvin's customers: Don't waste your breath complaining to the owner -- unless you want to be verbally abused. Whatever happened to "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT?" Only in Ocean City, the land of mediocre (but expensive) food - do restaurant owners ARGUE with their customers in person AND online. (See Melvin's numerous heated Tripadvisor responses to other patrons... he's embarrassing HIMSELF.

Note to Melvin - Spend more time in your kitchen than on your PC, because there is no point in defending the undefendable!

PS) I uploaded this review in Aug. 2 days after eating there and Tripadvisor never posted it, because of my photos, one was a chart from the web showing photos of "Steak Doneness".
Search images: "steak doneness chart"

• Visited August 2012