“Hell's Kitchen nightmare in OC”

Ristorante Antipasti
Ranked #36 of 437 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Hell's Kitchen nightmare in OC”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This restaurant is definitely expensive and the experience not worth the money. We had to wait 90 minutes for our food -- we were told that one of the chefs was sick so they were short-staffed. The portions were disappointingly small for quite high prices -- my husband ordered the lasagna (Timballo Abruzzese) at $26 and he said it was soupy. He's had better at Sbarro -- the Italian fast food chain. I ordered the Carpaccio di Filetto, an appetizer, for $17 -- good thing I had a late, big lunch because that merely was just a tasting. We were not the only customers left waiting for food, other groups around us had desperate looks; a couple of them walked out, and rightly so. What was even more disappointing was the behavior of the host/manager -- he didn't approach anyone to apologize for the delayed service. Our poor waitress had to make excuses (twice) for not having our food ready -- she was gracious, I have to say. I had canoli for dessert -- good, nothing extra -- and a nice capuccino. Our total for 4 people came up to $160 including a bottle of wine -- I did not have an entree. I was ready for a really good dinner experience but was totally disappointed and upset that we spent that much money for a mediocre meal and long wait. I felt I was inside an episode of Hell's Kitchen -- the nightmare ones. Fausto should hire more cooks, increase the portion, and tell patrons how long they should wait. I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

3 Thank MbTapia

Potomac, Maryland
“A memorably Awful Experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We arrived on time for a 7:15 reservation, but were not served our food until after 9:00 pm. Our waitress did everything she could to avoid taking our order (waiting for the last person to arrive, brining us drinks, telling us specials, avoiding our table all together). When we finally ordered around 8:00 pm, she told us that the stripped bass in salt would take 20 minutes but that she would bring the other food (especially the kids' meals) as soon as it was ready. The entrees all arrived after 9:00 pm. And one of the stripped bass orders was missing! When I complained, how did the owner, Fausto D'Carlo, handle the situation? He berated me for complaining, insisting that his was the finest restaurant in Ocean City, MD. He insisted despite my protestation that I did not want to see it, that he would show me the timed "ticket" reflecting when our waitress actually placed our order. He came back with the ticket showing a time of 8:10. Undeterred by the facts, Fausto went on to argue that our food "takes a long time to cook." Service in large measure defines a better restaurant, and this restaurant is just poor. The owner's reaction to our poor treatment was astonishing.

The food was sub-par as well. The stripped bass was salty (probably due to incompetent fileting done personally by Fausto himself). The other dishes were also mediocre (except for my daughter's steak, which she said was well-prepared).

Poor service and incompetently prepared food are unacceptable at any price, but it especially poor here given that the prices are very, very high.

There are plenty of decent places to eat in Ocean City (maybe no fine restaurants), including italian restaurants. This is not one of them.

3 Thank Robert_S36
Towson, Maryland
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

$18 Carpaccio di Filetto featured 2 small thin slices of meat. Huge ripoff! All portions were like small plates at extravangant prices.
Our waiter was truly exceptional...the best part of the experience.
Gorgonzola Pere e Noci was the only choice worth the price.
Great if you are dieting and wealthy.

3 Thank towsonterri
New York
“very small portions with huge prices”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I should have left when I saw the prices on the menu but I figured the meal was worth. Especially since the signed said top 5 Italian restaurant. Sadly when he dishes came out I was very disappointed. I should have checked Trip advisor and gone to Carrabas. Funny thing we drove by Carrabas going to Antipasti.

2 Thank henryd88
“Coming to Ocean City in the off season...”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Coming to Ocean City in the off season leaves one to some very standout choices for dining. We were looking for a really good filet mignon in a seafood town, and after reading reviews all over we found the most resounding review to be for this restaurant. Greeted at the door by a cheery Fausto - check. Fine linens, polished glassware - check. Highly priced appetizers and entree's minus the sides - check. We ordered the Cornish game hen which was good but just a very little bit over brick cooked and the filet mignon. The filet at medium rare was fantastic (compatible to Ruth Chris' in quality and portion size) on the outside edges but a little too purple or raw in the middle so a quick trip back to the kitchen for a re heat returned the steak in the most perfect condition. We had capuccino that was fantastic and took home one of the best cannoli's I have every had and a chocolate cake that will not disappoint any rich chocolate lover. We were the final couple of the evening other than the bar folks and although Fausto didn't come to our table after seating us, and our waitress was lovely although missing in the back somewhere through most of our visit, nor did Fausto or make a big to do when we left. However this is not nearly as important as the overall quality of the food to the price and for the steak it was definitely worth it.