“A long wait in line, poor and lacking service, good crabs.”

Hooper's Crab House
Ranked #124 of 441 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 16, 2013

One can see this monstrosity of a restaurant whenever you are driving onto the bridge into downtown OC, and it is a huge restaurant with a big presence. We were staying close to the restaurant at FSK with my family, so we decided to venture across the street to the restaurant. How bad could it be with a line out the door and into the parking lot. Well, we waited the 2 or so hours, and finally were seated. By then the restaurant was half empty, and the service staff was either burnt out or were counting the minuted before they could clock out. The ambiance is summer lobster shack fun, but with service being so poor and lacking....all we wanted was to eat and leave. The crabs were done well, but nothing exceptional. I trust that it is a better experience when things aren't as crazy busy at the restaurant, but considering this is OC we are talking about and the presence of the restaurant right off of the bridge, I am guessing that this is just the way the restaurant always is. As poor as the experience was, we still have the souvenir cup from the restaurant...and sadly we are still waiting for a refill too.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We wanted a restaurant that would embody OC. Hoopers is on the Bay and has a variety of tables (inside or out) with views of the Bay. We weren't feeling like steamed crabs (we will come back another time), but the Cream of Crab Soup was excellent!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We heard this was an "all you could eat" crab restaurant, so on Mother's Day my family headed to Ocean City for a feast. The first problem we encountered was the "booth" they took the six of us to. None of us are small people and they wanted to cram us in with no elbow room for cracking crabs. When we asked to be moved to a larger table, we were shocked that they told us it was impossible as the larger tables were reserved for larger parties. No larger parties ever showed up, and I still find it hard to believe a restaurant wouldn't accomodate our wishes. Then, they place a bucket in the middle of the table for crab waste, leaving no room for the "all you could eat" food. Our waiter simply dropped the crabs where he could, kind of all over the table. The first shocking thing we all noticed was that the crabs were all female. In most states, the taking of female crabs is illegal, however, my niece quickly checked her iphone to see that in Maryland, they are not. The crabs were not only cold, but they were loaded with very unappetizing EGGS. The crabmeat was mushy and when I complained to our server, he told us he'd ask them to "steam them longer". Every single ear of corn on the cob was less than four inches long. Pretty funny if you weren't too hungry. I do have to say that the steamed shrimp was excellent. In defense of our server, I believe that he was embarrassed by our experience and did his best to placate us. He brought extra shrimp and hushpuppies and was very attentive. However, at $31.99 each for an "all you can eat" crabfeast at which I attempted to eat only three crabs, I can tell you that I will NEVER go to this restaurant again. Ugh! Just thinking about those crabs is turning me green.

1  Thank KCFansAuntie
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great flavorful dishes. Our server did bring the wrong drinks for my husband and I, but was corrected.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

All you can eat hot, fresh crabs. Melted butter. Plenty of tasty sides, including corn on the cob, clams, all kinds of stuff. Wonderful. We're going this weekend and we can hardly wait!