“Excellent crabs!”

Ranked #66 of 431 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: If you don’t know Captain Joe, then you just haven’t been to the Shrimp Boat yet. In 1989, Captain Joe set up an umbrella, scale, and a couple of chairs just outside of a box truck along the side of the highway. He set out to sell the freshest shrimp in Ocean City at the best price. Customers had to receive their education first in why cooking shrimp with the heads on kept the juices and flavor inside. This is a 10-second class and always ends with a Free Sample for graduating. Captain Joe says, “Try it before you buy it. I want people to know they are getting the freshest product possible.” The next year, he started selling his shrimp out of the back of a boat along Rte. 611 where we stand today. He is often quoted as saying, ” I’ve owned fifteen boats in my lifetime and this is the only one that has ever made me money!” What started out as just shrimp quickly expanded to meet his regular customers’ desires for fresh seafood with clams, crab meat, and crabs. Today it is now the most extensive line of seafood options like stone crabs, hand-cut sushi-grade tuna fillets, and live lobster. Over the years many nieces, nephews, and even Joe’s own kids worked at the Shrimp Boat as word spread and business grew. In 2009, the first kitchen opened to allow customers to take home the fresh seafood already prepared. Joe quickly outgrew it and added a second, larger kitchen in 2010. The original kitchen is now a state-of-the-art crab room with pressure steam pots to get hot crabs out fast. After much fan fare to get Joe to add seating, Captain Joe’s Restaurant opened in 2012 which offered a full menu, beer and wine, and comfortable seating. In 2013 Captain Joe turned over the day to day operations to his nephew, Joe White who worked at the Shrimp Boat from a teenager through college. Captain Joe himself is still a regular working out of the back of the boat selling shrimp or sitting in one of the chairs out front telling fish stories. So nothing has changed. 2013 saw several new features such as our outdoor seating area featuring up to 24 seats with umbrellas, our outdoor bar waiting for area adjacent to the restaurant, and draft beer tap system featuring local brews too. We have now begun to see our third generation of regular customers; many grew up with the Shrimp Boat their whole lives as a local or regular stop on long weekends and family vacations. Our customers are very special to us, we never take their experience of fresh seafood and great service lightly. However, we are the fortunate ones to have so many interesting characters sit in our chairs out front over the last 25 years and tell their fish stories.
Huntington, New York
“Excellent crabs!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We got there late at night, 20 mins before the kitchen shut down. They put out about 6 steamed shrimp to try. They were delicious. We then had crabs and fried green tomatoes. Awesome! The other excellent part was our server Debbie. She stayed late, put up with us, and was really helpful, understanding, and never rushed us. Def worth the trip off the strip.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Steve I

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Decent food, but not what we expected”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were looking for a new place to try in Ocean City. The Shrimp Boat got great reviews, so we decided to give it a try. It's just a little shack in a gravel parking lot just outside of town. We were up to try the sandwiches, though. The lobster roll was pretty good and stuffed with fresh lobster. My mom and I got the shrimp cake sliders and were pretty disappointed. Lots of bun and very little cake. What cake there was had no shrimp that we could find. The fried green tomato appetizer was terrific, though. It was fine for the price, but we won't be back.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Melanie S
Rocky River, Ohio
“Lobster!!!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful meal. Lobster was really good and reasonably priced. This is casual dining at its best. We have been coming even before it was a restaurant.

2 Thank Judy B
“Foods great service not so much”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We always have a great meal there. Yummy seafood, large portions, and good choices. But, every time we go in the summer we have wait staff that kind of forgets we are there. Not bad service in the fall or spring though. Worth the risk.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Karen S
Barnegat, New Jersey
“Holy Crabs and Shrimp and Clams and OMG we were so stuffed”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I saw the Shrimp Boat on Trip Advisor and after reading a few reviews, I decided to call an have a few questions answered. After speaking with the owner, Captain Joe I made a reservation for my family of 12. On Sunday, July 27 we pulled up to this unassuming building and parking lot. Heck I wasn't quite sure I was in the right place because I saw the oil trucks in the parking lot. As I pulled into my spot, all I thought was "ok, I hope the reviews were right." THEY WERE!!! This place's food was awesome!!! We started with the free shrimp sample. They had the heads on and they were so moist and tasty. This changes the way I am going to eat shrimp from now on. Next, clams on the half shell which were amazingly fresh and clean. Then came the main course, CRABS!! Heavy, Tasty and Cooked right to Order. Some of our party had the white fish dinner platter and the shrimp platter. Both were excellent. The hush puppies were the best anyone at the table had ever had! Everyone in my family ate so much that we didn't have room for dessert. Thanks to Captain Joe and his attentive staff. You all made this one of our best dining experiences ever. Being from the Jersey Shore, we have all had plenty of sea food. Hands down, follow my recommendation - take the ten minute drive from the route 50 bridge and GO TO THE SHRIMP BOAT. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

Sorry I don't have pictures to go with my review. My hands were too busy eating the absolutely awesome food to be worried about taking out my phone and snapping pictures.

• Visited July 2014