“shrimp boat yum”

Ranked #42 of 451 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: If you don’t know Captain Joe, then you just haven’t been to the Shrimp Boat yet. In 1989, Captain Joe set up an umbrella, scale, and a couple of chairs just outside of a box truck along the side of the highway. He set out to sell the freshest shrimp in Ocean City at the best price. Customers had to receive their education first in why cooking shrimp with the heads on kept the juices and flavor inside. This is a 10-second class and always ends with a Free Sample for graduating. Captain Joe says, “Try it before you buy it. I want people to know they are getting the freshest product possible.” The next year, he started selling his shrimp out of the back of a boat along Rte. 611 where we stand today. He is often quoted as saying, ” I’ve owned fifteen boats in my lifetime and this is the only one that has ever made me money!” What started out as just shrimp quickly expanded to meet his regular customers’ desires for fresh seafood with clams, crab meat, and crabs. Today it is now the most extensive line of seafood options like stone crabs, hand-cut sushi-grade tuna fillets, and live lobster. Over the years many nieces, nephews, and even Joe’s own kids worked at the Shrimp Boat as word spread and business grew. In 2009, the first kitchen opened to allow customers to take home the fresh seafood already prepared. Joe quickly outgrew it and added a second, larger kitchen in 2010. The original kitchen is now a state-of-the-art crab room with pressure steam pots to get hot crabs out fast. After much fan fare to get Joe to add seating, Captain Joe’s Restaurant opened in 2012 which offered a full menu, beer and wine, and comfortable seating. In 2013 Captain Joe turned over the day to day operations to his nephew, Joe White who worked at the Shrimp Boat from a teenager through college. Captain Joe himself is still a regular working out of the back of the boat selling shrimp or sitting in one of the chairs out front telling fish stories. So nothing has changed. 2013 saw several new features such as our outdoor seating area featuring up to 24 seats with umbrellas, our outdoor bar waiting for area adjacent to the restaurant, and draft beer tap system featuring local brews too. We have now begun to see our third generation of regular customers; many grew up with the Shrimp Boat their whole lives as a local or regular stop on long weekends and family vacations. Our customers are very special to us, we never take their experience of fresh seafood and great service lightly. However, we are the fortunate ones to have so many interesting characters sit in our chairs out front over the last 25 years and tell their fish stories.
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Real fresh seafood to eat there, bring with, or buy and cook yourself. Best cream of crab soup on either side of the bridge

Reviewed March 31, 2014

What else can I say? The Shrimp Boat has fantastic seafood which is of high QUALITY. My family and I dined here in July 2013 and also ordered carry out in the same month, and was highly impressed with the food. We ordered medium male steamed crabs, and 2lbs of shrimp on both occasions, and each time was very pleased with the seasoning, and *freshness* of the seafood. The beer was cold and not overly priced, and the service was good given how busy they were each time.
I look forward to going to the Shrimp Boat each time I visit Ocean City. If you like fresh seafood, this is the place for you. If you want great chicken and burgers, this may not be what you're looking for. ( try Bull on the Beach ) After all, it is called "the shrimp boat."

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stopped here on the recommendation of one of our golf group. It was a passable meal with nothing noteworthy, except the "fresh" shrimp. The shrimp are shipped in each day, whole including the head attached. They were noticeably more tender than something you would get elsewhere which have been previously frozen and thawed. I have Cream of crab soup which lacked significant crabmeat and had a bitter aftertaste. I also ordered single fry oysters, since oyster season had just opened. They were heavily breaded and overcooked. Others ordered the crabcakes and said that they were good. I wouldn't go out of my way to stop here again.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I made a reservation from all the reviews I wanted to make sure we had a seat. Very casual down to earth atmosphere. We were given 2 jumbo shrimp for free to start they were good & fresh (I added pictures) my husband had chili it was excellent on the sweeter side & I had cream of crab which was really good. They both cost $4.99 each and we both had the fried shrimp boat came with fries, and slaw. The shrimp was JUMBO and DELICIOUS!! My husbands eyes lit up from 1st bite and the fries were homemade & yummy!! The fried shrimp boat was $11.99. Free refills on soft drinks which are $2.49 I had the sweet tea it was "just right" we were SO HAPPY & FULL...if anyone has anything negative to say about this place than they just have issues I didn't see one thing wrong nor did my husband. We also bought a tshirt "Shrimp happens" I wish we could get shrimp like this in Buffalo! We will be back!!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We made a point of stopping here for lunch enroute to assateague, I was not impressed with the food. I expected more of a variety of shrimp offerings. I found that i don't care for shrimp with their heads on - I don't want to see the eyes on my food. The staff and service was a little too relaxed.
The crab cakes were just ok, too gooey, I have had better in many places.