“A new experience!”

Ranked #74 of 441 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: If you don’t know Captain Joe, then you just haven’t been to the Shrimp Boat yet. In 1989, Captain Joe set up an umbrella, scale, and a couple of chairs just outside of a box truck along the side of the highway. He set out to sell the freshest shrimp in Ocean City at the best price. Customers had to receive their education first in why cooking shrimp with the heads on kept the juices and flavor inside. This is a 10-second class and always ends with a Free Sample for graduating. Captain Joe says, “Try it before you buy it. I want people to know they are getting the freshest product possible.” The next year, he started selling his shrimp out of the back of a boat along Rte. 611 where we stand today. He is often quoted as saying, ” I’ve owned fifteen boats in my lifetime and this is the only one that has ever made me money!” What started out as just shrimp quickly expanded to meet his regular customers’ desires for fresh seafood with clams, crab meat, and crabs. Today it is now the most extensive line of seafood options like stone crabs, hand-cut sushi-grade tuna fillets, and live lobster. Over the years many nieces, nephews, and even Joe’s own kids worked at the Shrimp Boat as word spread and business grew. In 2009, the first kitchen opened to allow customers to take home the fresh seafood already prepared. Joe quickly outgrew it and added a second, larger kitchen in 2010. The original kitchen is now a state-of-the-art crab room with pressure steam pots to get hot crabs out fast. After much fan fare to get Joe to add seating, Captain Joe’s Restaurant opened in 2012 which offered a full menu, beer and wine, and comfortable seating. In 2013 Captain Joe turned over the day to day operations to his nephew, Joe White who worked at the Shrimp Boat from a teenager through college. Captain Joe himself is still a regular working out of the back of the boat selling shrimp or sitting in one of the chairs out front telling fish stories. So nothing has changed. 2013 saw several new features such as our outdoor seating area featuring up to 24 seats with umbrellas, our outdoor bar waiting for area adjacent to the restaurant, and draft beer tap system featuring local brews too. We have now begun to see our third generation of regular customers; many grew up with the Shrimp Boat their whole lives as a local or regular stop on long weekends and family vacations. Our customers are very special to us, we never take their experience of fresh seafood and great service lightly. However, we are the fortunate ones to have so many interesting characters sit in our chairs out front over the last 25 years and tell their fish stories.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When I saw the reviews on tripadvisor that you could peel and eat shrimp with the heads still on I said, "This is for us!" Always looking for something new we went to try it out. You can get a pound of steamed shrimp for $10; the seasoning is a little spicy if you do not mind it. The crab cakes were delicious and come with a choice of fresh steamed green beans or fresh corn on the cob; both great for summer.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a great meal at the Shrimp Boat last night. All of the other places around were jammed packed so we took the advice of a friend and tried the boat. There was a short wait but the hostess brought us a cold drink quickly which helped. There is no air conditioning there but the multiple fans and breeze it was not an issue. They brought everyone a sample of shrimp to try and it was steamed perfectly. Our whole party had crab cakes and shrimp tacos, everything was very good. We will be back to the boat!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We came for lunch with our 1 year old daughter on a week day and they were busy but we got a table with a short wait. They gave us samples of shrimp after finding it was our 1st time there and they were great and a good value. We ended up with the shrimp/tuna tacos, 1lb of shrimp and the crab bites. We wanted to avoid as much fried foods as possible after seeing some others reviews, but the crab bites were good, I really enjoyed them and my husband thought they were good too. The shrimp was the best, and the tacos were really good too. The sweet potato fries we had were just so so and I ordered the sweet tea which was actually really bad, it was so sweet it was like drinking sugar water flavored with tea, it was actually so sweet I couldn't drink it and just asked for water. My husband loved that they had landshark on tap and I think the food was a bit too slow to come out, but then again maybe it was just my perception of time since we had a very cranky 1 year old with us. I will definitely return again next time we go to OC.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have been going to the Shrimp Boat for the last few years when we visit Ocean City. It has amazing shrimp that you can buy fresh and prepare yourself OR let the experts do it and pick it up. We normally take 5 pounds back to peel and eat @ the camper and you have an affordable delicious meal. Love the shrimp tacos! I don't even bother with crab cakes when I am not in Maryland b/c they can't compare. After trying the crab-cakes at several other Ocean City restaurants I would have to say that the Shrimp Boat has moved to the top of the list. Very casual, perfect for when you just want to relax and have a good meal. If you have any questions about your order or food Capt. Joe is friendly, helpful, and full of good information.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We decided to give this place a try after reading the reviews. Boy were we disappointed! They were not busy. We were seated right away. Yet we waited for over 45 minutes for our food. Wish we would have left before it came. The other reviews were right about the fried food. We never had such terrible fries.Don't even know how to describe them. My husband got the shrimp basket and could not believe how few shrimp he got. I ordered the homemade potato salad. Yuck.
They staff was nice enough but the food....well certainly not edible by our standards. Would never, ever recommend this place.