“Racial slur”

Back Bay Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Offering Ocean City, MD bay fishing, private charters, and parties on the Calico Jack. Hourly onsite 3 passenger jet ski rentals with immediate ride time!
Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Racial slur”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family of 20 came down this week of July to OC. to stay at our time share at The Bay Club resort. I decided to take 2 of my young nieces who are in middle school fishing on the Back Bay Adventures being that it was in walking distance from our resort. Now I understand that sometimes you don't catch fish and you just have to enjoy the experience but the experience that I seen was my young nieces being exposed to a racial slur by the ship mate. As the ship mate was placing bait in the plastic containers he told them they were Walmart Chicken Strips and smiled and yes I am African American and we were the only African Americans on the boat. I can only take it as it was a racial slur being that it wasn't said to any other children or passages on the boat and this day and age people are being fired and fined for such a statement. Ethic training is very needed by the ship mate who proceed to make friendly conversation afterwards. I had to tell the rest of my family this is not the trip you want to go on.

4 Thank Michael T
bbadventures32, Owner at Back Bay Adventures, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
We are very sorry that you felt offended and we can assure you that this was not the intended meaning of the mate's comment. The mate tells kids all the time the squid is chicken to alleviate their fear of touching the slimy squid strips. We do truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

“Best fishing trip in OCMD”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My son and I have been going on fishing trips for years. Back Bay adventures was the best we've ever been on! The boat was clean, equipment was new and the Captain and Mate were fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone. Next time I'm bringing my wife and daughter. These guys were very family friendly!

Visited July 2013
BackBay12, Owner at Back Bay Adventures, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are happy to hear that you had a great time fishing on the Calico Jack. We appreciate your accurate review, as we strive to make Back Bay Adventures accommodating and family oriented! Thank you. Mgmt
ocean city,maryland usa
“4th of July”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My son and his family came down to visit us the 4th of July week. My son and I took my 10 year old grandson on a fishing trip aboard the Calico Jack. It was a fun time and enjoyable since we did not have to worry about our boat and let Captain Mike take us out. We were able to enjoy the little guy and give him all our attention. Kevin and John (mates)took care of everyone with enthusiam and care. Great Trip. Thanks Back Bay Adventures. Dick

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your great review of the Calico Jack! We appreciate all of your support and couldn't ask for better neighbors/ friends!!
Newark, Delaware, United States
“Great First Experience for 10 Year Old”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took my 10 year old daughter on the Calico Jack on July 3rd as a birthday present. She loves fishing and this was her first experience on a headboat. The captain and the mate were absolutely terrific and made sure everyone had fun and spent as much time as possible with a line in the water. We caught three flounder between us, two of which were keepers, and my daughter had an absolute blast. Her only complaint was that the trip wasn't longer.

I've been on a lot of headboats where the atmosphere was serious/tense, the crew was surly, and the atmosphere was not what I prefer for "Daddy's little girl". This was completely the opposite. Everyone was having fun and sociable even if they weren't catching anything.

We would definitely do this again!

Visited July 2013
We are so happy to hear that your daughter had a wonderful birthday on our boat! We love having kids on the boat and thank you for your review! Back Bay Adventures Mgmt.
Rising Sun, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Bay Fishing Boat”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family went fishing this morning on the Calico Jack. Great fishing trip! We got lucky and high tide was rolling in as we began to fish. The crew was wonderful! Very friendly, attentive and helpful. Lots of fish were caught. Only 2 keepers though. But that's fishing for ya! Every place we stopped fish were on someone's hook. They provide free bait. Rod rentals and live bait are $5 each. I had both my young kids with us - ages 7 and 5. Both of my kids fish, so they were no problem. The crew is great with young kids too! If you are looking to do some flounder fishing on the bay, these are the guys to go with! They do ask for a cash tip (15-20%) so make sure you bring that along. They totally earned their tip in my opinion. I recommend this to anyone who wants a non-stressful bay fishing experience. Check the tides to make sure you are choosing a good time slot for fishing reservations. We went down and reserved a time slot the first day down here. I would recommend doing the same.

Visited July 2013
BackBay12, Owner at Back Bay Adventures, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your accurate review of the Calico Jack! We are glad that you had a wonderful time and we hope to see you and your family again soon!