“Excellent hotel at reasonable price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coastal Palms Inn & Suites

Coastal Palms Inn & Suites
Ranked #67 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Galesburg, Illinois
“Excellent hotel at reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent one night passing through Ocean City and found this hotel through Tripadvisor. It was well located and very reasonable -- of course, in mid-September, prices are down.

It was very clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were above average. We got a 5th floor room with a nice view of the ocean from our balcony. It was a very short walk to the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for giving us the opportunity to be your host during your September beach vacation! For many, this is the best time of year to travel considering the crowds have thinned out and the hotel rates have dropped. With all the stores and attractions still open, it's no wonder why so many people choose to take advantage of a late Summer vacation. At The Coastal Palms we work hard to give you a superior customer experience at a great value. As you mentioned, our rooms have above average pillows and beds. The 5th floor does offer a nice view of the Ocean, and we are located just a few steps from the beach. Thanks again for the great review, we look forward to having you again in the future.

The Friendly Carousel Group Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is an older property that has been recently taken over by an established name: Carasoul Group. They put some new signs up and thats about it. The staff at check in was very friendly. They accidently didnt return my drivers license at check in and never bothered to call the room and tell me they had it. After searching for hours I gave up. When I checked out I asked if anyone found it and I was informed they had it the entire time.

The rooms are old school and bathrooms really, really old school. Slow draining sinks, shower and toilets that just barley made the flush. The property is crowded and in need of updating. I stayed her in mid September 2013 and for $60.00 a night, you can still go wrong. Spend an extra 20 and move on to another property.

If they spent as much effort on updating the property as they did marketing it......well then maybe.

Room Tip: Do not get street sign
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ak629
Dear valued guest, thanks for the review. The Carousel Group has taken this hotel over as of 2011 and has made many improvements including all new exterior, completely new lobby, refurnished rooms with new paint, carpet, beds, bed spreads, drapes, HD LCD TV's and case goods. This hotel has been given a generous face lift and we plan on working hard to keep making improvements. We do hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business in 2014 and give you a superior customer experience.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

They only plus about this hotel is the staff. They were all very nice. The exterior walls were paper thin, the sliding door didn't close properly and it had no lock! Not as clean as it should be. Fridge had some kind of splatter all over the front, could tell where the maid failed to vacuum, and spit balls behind the bathroom door! Couldn't wait to get my small kids home! Being part of the Carousel Group I thought this place would be much cleaner than it was. Not at all what we expected.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest, we apologize for your complaints and ask you offer us another opportunity to earn your business back. We work hard to upgrade and expand upon the hotel, our rooms, our staff and our amenity package. If you would have mentioned these issues to a member of our friendly staff then we would have been more than happy to accommodate you with a different room. The issues described in your review are not that of our quality standards. Thanks again for your business, we hope to provide you and your family a superior guest experience in the future.

New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night in August 2013. I booked 2 rooms and asked for 2 rooms together and they accommodated the request. Both rooms were pretty clean. There were some stains on one of the blankets but we didn't use it anyway. The bathroom was pretty clean. One of the rooms was on the side of Coastal Highway. We were on the 4th floor and we didn't think it was noisy at all.

It was a cloudy day and pretty windy so we didn't go down to the pool.

I went to get ice at night and didn't bring the bucket. The attendant was nice. He took 2 bags and put the ice in the bags without any hassle. He just mentioned that there are buckets in the room and asked me to bring the bucket next time.

Overall, I think this hotel is a decent value.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest, thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We work hard to make sure you are getting the best value in Ocean City. The Carousel Group has managed this hotel for 2 years and have found guests are loving their experience with us. Thanks again for your review, we hope to have you again as our guest in beautiful uptown Ocean City!

Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is awful. I can't believe we paid $250 for one night here. We got a last minute room and were shocked based on the reviews. The pool is tiny and directly on the 8 lane coastal highway. Our room was #207, on the street so facing coastal highway which was soo loud and the balcony is so narrow two people can not pass each other. Inside the room was big, beds were OK but bathroom awful. Hilarious that they have upgraded sinks but the tub/shower are all rusted out and the faucets come out of the wall. Avoid!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank lawa306
Dear valued guest, we are sorry your stay was not as excellent as we would have hoped. The photos of our hotel and pool are directly on the website and portrayed exactly as they appear in person. The price for the room is a great deal considering all the amenities which are included in the Carousel Group Vacation Package. We work hard to make sure your vacation is a pleasant one, and we upgrade our rooms and amenities every year. Our rates are typically never as much as you state in your review and fluctuate with the local market. We always offer competitive rates and a superior guest experience. Thanks again for being our guest.

Lake Grove, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just returned home from a relaxing few days in Ocean City. I usually stay at a hotel on the boardwalk but this time decided to stay away from all the noise and crazyness. I booked this hotel because of its location, price, and people we were meeting were staying close by. I was very happy with the accomadations. The room was clean and neat. Believe me, I check for any evidence of bed bugs with a LED flashlight and a magnifying glass which is exactly what I did upon arrival. I was traveling with my son and I had him hold up the mattress on both beds so I could check out the box spring, mattress, and behind the beds. NO BED BUGS OR FLEES! There is free coffee in the office, we were given coupons for a nearby restaurant, and the staff was very nice. The hotel is a 1/2 a block away from the beach. After we checked out, we stayed on the beach for a few hours, and were able to get a key for a bathroom and changing area so we wouldnt have to drive home in our wet baithing suit. I would stay at this hotel again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for the wonderful review, and thanks for choosing The Coastal Palms! We do pride ourselves on cleanliness and a personable, professional staff. We hope you had a chance to enjoy all of our amenities that the Carousel Group has to offer. Thanks again for the great review!

Reading, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've been going to OCMD since 1968 and stayed all over this town. In 2012 stayed at the Hilton, 2011 stayed at this hotel when it was the Serene and stayed one night and had to leave. This year booked on line and was not sure why I did not recognize the Coastal Palms, looked at the pictures and reviews and for the price it sounded good, I booked it. When we pulled into the lot, I asked my husband what the chances were that this hotel has the same sign as the Serene only now it says Coastal Palms? The lot looked clean and the building looked freshly painted. Got the key card for our room and on the way up said to my husband these steps remind me of the Serene but quickly added that the Costal Palms had already trumped the Serene because the doors to the rooms at CP had key cards (Serene had keys) and the doors were new and not rusted out at the kick plate area., Got in the room and the couch was new, carpet looked new, freshly painted white walls and a flat screen TV. (Serene had old tv on the table). Toilet was new, shower was fairly new, but very clean. Had a King bed and flat screen tv in bedroom. The sheets and pillows were clean and fresh. The balcony was private (suite side) and the service was amazing. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a laundry list of complaints. It wasn't until the next morning (went to Fenwick looking at property) and on the way back looked for the Serene because my husband said it has to be right next to CP according to the address. ( I totally blocked the Serene experience from my mind) . I always say to my husband " I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but......." well, stated with that phrase and finished with. " Do you think this was the Serene and now Coastal Palms"? Yep! That is exactly what it is. I could not believe it!!! I wrote a very bad review for the Serene and I was not alone. I felt compelled to write this review for the Coastal Palms. I was in suite 420 something and it was a 100 percent improvement from when I was there in 2011.

Room Tip: Suites do have private balcony, room balconies are not.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for your review! The Coastal Palms Hotel was bought by the Carousel Group in 2011 and began management in the Summer of 2013. The Carousel Group manages several other hotels and all adhere to our strict brand standard. The Coastal Palms was re branded, renovated and improved upon when The Carousel Group took over operations. We are so happy you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to having you back again during your next beach vacation! Don't forget to take advantage of all The Carousel Group has to offer, including free beach chairs, discounted ice skating, free family photo, movies on the beach, camp carousel and more!