“A hole.”

Coastal Palms Inn & Suites
Ranked #73 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is awful. I can't believe we paid $250 for one night here. We got a last minute room and were shocked based on the reviews. The pool is tiny and directly on the 8 lane coastal highway. Our room was #207, on the street so facing coastal highway which was soo loud and the balcony is so narrow two people can not pass each other. Inside the room was big, beds were OK but bathroom awful. Hilarious that they have upgraded sinks but the tub/shower are all rusted out and the faucets come out of the wall. Avoid!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank lawa306
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear valued guest, we are sorry your stay was not as excellent as we would have hoped. The photos of our hotel and pool are directly on the website and portrayed exactly as they appear in person. The price for the room is a great deal considering all the amenities which are included in the Carousel Group Vacation Package. We work hard to make sure your vacation is a pleasant one, and we upgrade our rooms and amenities every year. Our rates are typically never as much as you state in your review and fluctuate with the local market. We always offer competitive rates and a superior guest experience. Thanks again for being our guest.

Sincerely
The Friendly Carousel Group Management

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just returned home from a relaxing few days in Ocean City. I usually stay at a hotel on the boardwalk but this time decided to stay away from all the noise and crazyness. I booked this hotel because of its location, price, and people we were meeting were staying close by. I was very happy with the accomadations. The room was clean and neat. Believe me, I check for any evidence of bed bugs with a LED flashlight and a magnifying glass which is exactly what I did upon arrival. I was traveling with my son and I had him hold up the mattress on both beds so I could check out the box spring, mattress, and behind the beds. NO BED BUGS OR FLEES! There is free coffee in the office, we were given coupons for a nearby restaurant, and the staff was very nice. The hotel is a 1/2 a block away from the beach. After we checked out, we stayed on the beach for a few hours, and were able to get a key for a bathroom and changing area so we wouldnt have to drive home in our wet baithing suit. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for the wonderful review, and thanks for choosing The Coastal Palms! We do pride ourselves on cleanliness and a personable, professional staff. We hope you had a chance to enjoy all of our amenities that the Carousel Group has to offer. Thanks again for the great review!

Sincerely
The Friendly Carousel Group Management

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've been going to OCMD since 1968 and stayed all over this town. In 2012 stayed at the Hilton, 2011 stayed at this hotel when it was the Serene and stayed one night and had to leave. This year booked on line and was not sure why I did not recognize the Coastal Palms, looked at the pictures and reviews and for the price it sounded good, I booked it. When we pulled into the lot, I asked my husband what the chances were that this hotel has the same sign as the Serene only now it says Coastal Palms? The lot looked clean and the building looked freshly painted. Got the key card for our room and on the way up said to my husband these steps remind me of the Serene but quickly added that the Costal Palms had already trumped the Serene because the doors to the rooms at CP had key cards (Serene had keys) and the doors were new and not rusted out at the kick plate area., Got in the room and the couch was new, carpet looked new, freshly painted white walls and a flat screen TV. (Serene had old tv on the table). Toilet was new, shower was fairly new, but very clean. Had a King bed and flat screen tv in bedroom. The sheets and pillows were clean and fresh. The balcony was private (suite side) and the service was amazing. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a laundry list of complaints. It wasn't until the next morning (went to Fenwick looking at property) and on the way back looked for the Serene because my husband said it has to be right next to CP according to the address. ( I totally blocked the Serene experience from my mind) . I always say to my husband " I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but......." well, stated with that phrase and finished with. " Do you think this was the Serene and now Coastal Palms"? Yep! That is exactly what it is. I could not believe it!!! I wrote a very bad review for the Serene and I was not alone. I felt compelled to write this review for the Coastal Palms. I was in suite 420 something and it was a 100 percent improvement from when I was there in 2011.

Room Tip: Suites do have private balcony, room balconies are not.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for your review! The Coastal Palms Hotel was bought by the Carousel Group in 2011 and began management in the Summer of 2013. The Carousel Group manages several other hotels and all adhere to our strict brand standard. The Coastal Palms was re branded, renovated and improved upon when The Carousel Group took over operations. We are so happy you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to having you back again during your next beach vacation! Don't forget to take advantage of all The Carousel Group has to offer, including free beach chairs, discounted ice skating, free family photo, movies on the beach, camp carousel and more!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

the room was ok. pretty old. Clean and odor free. Our balcony was right on the main road. The room was really really noisy all night due to traffic outside. we reserved a suit but they tried to but us in a single room. we went back to the desk and he changed rooms for us. I would not recommend this hotel. The hotel is cheap for a reason. ick

1  Thank baldwin2112
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear valued guest, thanks for your review. Our rooms have been upgraded with new sofas, beds, bed spreads, carpet, drapes, bathrooms and paint as of 2012. We do apologize about the the noise but are happy you found your new room to be pleasant. The hotel is an inexpensive subsidiary property of the Carousel and is in the Carousel Group rental program. The Coastal Palms holds the same standard as all our hotels considering it is maintained to a strict policy and is updated every year. We do offer the Carousel Group vacation package as well. We hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business back this next summer season. Thank you again for being our guest.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is a DUMP........It's dirty a needs immediate updating. My wife & I had a two week reservation at Coast Palms. We checked in on a Wednesday and out the next day. There are 3 different ratings on the Internet. Hot Wire. Com, our booking agent, rated the place between 3 & 4 Stars. No way, perhaps a 1 star at best!!!!!!!! Our room #303 was horrible and nothing like the professional photos we viewed prior to booking. .

I hope this review will assist you with your booking, If given the chance I would avoid Coastal Palms entirely. On an up note, the ocean was nearby. That at least was accurate.

2  Thank T B

Dear valued guest, we do apologize for your stay and hope we could have addressed any specific issues you may have had in your review. We must dispute the comments about our rooms. The photos on the website and affiliate booking sites are quite accurate considering all of our rooms and room types are exactly as they appear in the photos. This is the exact way one would find any of our rooms upon check in. Each room is cleaned, sheets changed, floor vacuumed, vanity wiped down, disinfected and inspected prior to check ins. Our staff is polite, courteous and knowledgeable and are happy to assist our guests in any way to make their stay more pleasant and enjoyable. The Coastal Palms is part of the Carousel Group and adheres to strict guidelines and standards. We do offer the Carousel Group vacation package including discounted dining, free beach chairs, discounted ice skating, live entertainment - two blocks away, free family photo night and more. We do hope your next stay in beautiful Ocean City exceeds expectations.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked the hotel about 2 months ago through Expedia because it was a pet friendly hotel. I called the hotel to see if we could check in early, but found out we did not have a pet friendly ROOM. Apparently they only have 6 rooms and they don't release them to Expedia so we have no place to stay! But the worse part of it was the Carousel reservation staffs attitude because I used a "third party vendor" to book the room, "I should have called the hotel directly to book a pet friendly room" What???? How would I have known that? The CAROUSEL reservation staff person was a total jerk! He had obviously dealt with this problem "all the time"! How in the world was I supposed to know this? He was totally indignant! He told me to call "Expedia" as if it was a bad word, to cancel my reservation!

To the manager of Carousel reservation department:
I run my own business and if I ever talked to my customers with the attitude that I received from your staff, I wouldn't have a business! Here is an idea go read the book about how the Ritz handles the customer experience, your might actually learn something!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank murphJV

Dear valued guest, we are incredibly sorry for the issue you had with Expedia. Unfortunately, as you had stated, Expedia is an affiliate vendor of our rooms and we cannot be held responsible for their shortcomings. You are absolutely correct, we do receive this problem regularly and encourage our customers to book directly through our reservations staff. We cannot apologize enough for the manner in which you claim our reservations staff handled the issue, we will be addressing this problem immediately and taking further action to assure you this will never happen again. We will be clarifying this on the website that these rooms are only available through The Carousel Reservation hotline. We apologize for your inconvenience and hope we can earn your business in the future. Thank you again for considering our hotel as your vacation accommodations, we hope to see you in the future in beautiful Ocean City, MD.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

A read all of the reviews on this Hotel and to be quite honest. It was actually nice. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was clean. It didn't smell. I did not see any mold. If you're looking for a hotel like the Four Seasons, than this isn't it. It's also not a dump. I would definitely stay here again. First of all, we're not ones to spend a lot of time in the room anyway, as long as there are not bed bugs, the sheets are clean, the room does not have an odor and it's just you and the girls, or you and your significant other, this place was perfect without breaking the bank. So yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Without breaking the bank, this hotel is just fine!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for choosing The Coastal Palms for your girls getaway vacation! You are absolutely correct in your review, we do not advertise ourselves as the four seasons. The Coastal Palms Hotel offers clean rooms, sheets, a friendly staff and the Carousel Group Vacation package. We are located in a great location and are perfect for anyone traveling on a budget whom wish to get the best value on that budget. Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you and the girls back for another vacation!