“Decent hotel for short family vacation”
Review of The Spinnaker

The Spinnaker
Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Decent hotel for short family vacation”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first stay in Ocean City, MD and stayed at this hotel because it was a referral from a friend. My family arrived 2hrs early for check in and was allowed to park on the property and given access to the pool and changing rooms until the room was ready. Which they nicely called my cell at 3pm to let me know our room was ready. The only complaints we had with our room was our door was very tricky to open. We had to pull the door really hard scan our key and hope for the best. Sometimes took several tries to get in. Also the toilet continued to run and we had to jiggle the handle to get it to stop. The cafe at the hotel Malia's was so cute service was great and the food was yummy. When we checked out at 11 we were told that we could still stay parked on property til as late as 3pm and still use the pool if we liked. Overall view from 4th floor was nice and would probably stay here again but maybe look for something a little closer to the action on the boardwalk so not So much walking for the kids.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank sprkle824

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Oxford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel as I just booked based on a few TripAdviser reviews when we decided to vacation with my Mother-in-law but her hotel did not have any availability. As I rate this motel, bear in mind it is a BEACH motel, not a fancy hotel. I travel a lot for work and have stayed in many Marriots and Hiltons and I obviousy cannot compare a boardwalk/beach motel using the same criteria.

First, I'll comment on the location: this hotel is two buildings that are perpendicular to the beach and another set of condos is beachfront. But the rooms at the Spinnaker have sort of a side view of the ocean. I really like to be able to see/hear/smell the beach from my room, so I was dubious about this, but it really did provide an oceanfront feel.

Second, the room: I booked an efficiency room for an extra 12 dollars or so (I think it was about $250 per night, at peak summer). The layout was peculiar at first, but quite functional in the end because the bathroom was directly inside the room to the left, which offered privacy from the living/bedroom space which was straight ahead, but through the kitchen. The only thing is that I had to make sure no family members were dressing in the bathroom or using the toilet with the door open before opening the door to our room! (Our children are still young). But the thing that struck us the most was it was CLEAN. The carpets were clean and I even walked on them barefoot, which I usually won't do in a motel room. And while this is a beach-motel in it's furnishings overall they were very nicely appointed. Maybe the bathrooms could have had more counter space or a bit of updating, but overall it was really quite nice. The sheets were SUPER CLEAN and the whole room had a very faint bleachy-clean smell, which was reassuring. The complimentary toiletries were crap, so don't count on them; bring your own! I suppose they'd work in a pinch, though. The kitchen had a small stove, microwave, and a good-sized refrigerator (which we find necessary for storing water and soda mostly). There was a small assortment of dishes and pots and silverware. I used them to make and serve shells and cheese in the room one day and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Pool: The pool was cleaned every morning and while small, it was adequate and there was a large sundeck nearby (through another gated area).

Our housekeeper was great. We were in 507 and I believe her name was Alice. Good Job!

Other: The front desk at checkout was very friendly. Upon checkin they were a bit exasperated but not unfriendly. The cafe downstairs, Malia's, was nice for a breakfast or lunch and I used them every morning for a coffee instead of brewing a pot for just me in our room.

Cons: Elevators were a bit slow and the stairwells were a poor option. We couldn't get into them from the ground floor and they were very dirty. Also, there seemed to be cigarettes everywhere. Although I noticed lots of cigarettes in general in Ocean City, MD, so perhaps this is normal for the city in general.

Overall, it was a good location, right on the boardwalk and beach and offers a lot of things within walking distance: Phillip's buffet, mini golf, other restaurants and many shops and bike rentals. Was $250 per night too much? Yes, but that's because the beach is the place to be in late August and that's just what you have to spend to get something that is even remotely nice. The two other hotels I looked at were well over $350 per night, so what I saved on staying here, I spent on food/fun! I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend and consider a repeat stay if we should return to Ocean City.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LeoMom
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We usually stay the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th Street-Boardwalk but decided since our trip was going to be a bit shorter this year, we (Mom, Dad and 2 14 yr olds) would try the Spinnaker. The cost of the Holiday Inn Suites is about double ($470 per night) of what we spent staying at the Spinnaker ($220 per night) BUT the quality and experience at the Holiday Inn Suites is also about double!
Reservations were made on-line but after I did so, I needed to adjust them and called the hotel direct. I spoke to Heather who did a fantastic job on the adjustment. She was professional, efficient and very informative. Thank you Heather for your help. I had requested and paid for an efficiency plus room which guarentees you a higher floor and some updated amenities in the room which I did receive. I also requested an end room (closest to the boardwalk) which was NOT granted. The room had a ridiculously small bathroom (very clean), a galley style kitchen with microwave (brand new....the paperwork and cardboard were still inside!), stove/oven, refrigerator (not dorm size but not full size either), base and wall cupboards equipped with dishes, glasses, utensils, pans, etc for about 4 or 5 people, a bedrooom area with 2 DOUBLE beds (not queens), a pull out sofa (looked new), a table and 4 chairs (in bedroom area) and a very large balcony (with 2 white resin chairs (one was cracked) and a small "foot" table) which we utilized ALOT! The outdoor pool (not oceanfront) was nice (heated?? maybe!) and a huge sundeck with many tables/chairs and loungers. The complex does NOT have a laundry facility (something else we really missed not staying at Holiday Inn!) Location is fantastic - just a few steps off of the boardwalk with a SIDE view of the ocean. This hotel is NOT oceanfront as there is a large condo in front of it but I don't believe they advertise that they are oceanfront. The room was very clean and you can see where they have updated some items in the unit but the fact remains that it is a very old hotel. Everyone (employees) we encountered were very nice and pleasantries were always exchanged. I don't know if we would stay here again but that is only because we absolutely love where we usually stay and don't mind paying double the amount we paid at the Spinnaker.

Room Tip: This is not a luxury hotel. It is a very simple clean hotel with a sideview of the ocean.
3 Thank dontstayathome
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited the motel this summer and was happy the rooms look just as the pictures display. Was perfect for a week away from home. Our room had a lot of gnats in the bathroom which was driving me crazy but I delt with it. The maid service came in everyday, even washed our dishes. The location was so close to the beach and had a shower outside to rinse the sand. It's a little bit of a walk to get to the amusement rides but on vacation you need a little extra exercise.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kjls
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Service was helpfull even during late check in. Quiet at night. Close to boardwalk and many restaurants close by. Plenty of parking spots! Rooms were a little outdated but very clean. Nice outdoor pool on balcony by the road.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank BradFleeman
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is an older motel, but it's VERY clean, the bedding is comfortable, and the location is great. The rooms are spacious and again, can't say enough about the cleanliness. Tile floor at entrance, bathroom and kitchen looked new. Carpet very nice. No streets to cross to access the Boardwalk and the ocean. Pool area is clean and well contained (great if you have kids). The walls must be thick (older construction?) because we never heard a thing from the outside hallway, the rooms around us, or the street below (we were on a corner of two roads). Malia's is great for a quick bite to eat. The staff was friendly and helpful, and we had absolutely no problem with anything here. Again, it's an older building and not fancy, but if you want location and cleanliness, this is it!

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor so you'll have a side view of the ocean.
1 Thank lizmom92
North Babylon, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The room was very nice...very spacious. We were 4 adults and did not feel cramped, at all. The room was immaculate, especially the bathroom. Location was great. The bedding was comfortable, air conditioner worked well. It was pretty no frills but with all that being said, a very pleasant stay nonetheless. I would definitely stay here again if we were to come back to Ocean City.

1 Thank Zeedeemom