“Great Motel, Great Location, Great Price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Empress Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Empress Motel
Ranked #62 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Havre de Grace, Maryland, United States
“Great Motel, Great Location, Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband, one year old daughter, and myself just stayed here. It was quite enjoyable. The location was perfect, it was half a block from the beach and still close enough to walk to food. With a little one, we didn't really look for entertainment. The rooms were clean, which is very important to us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank loveofjoe11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed here again for my 2nd time this past weekend. must say it was nice. Clean pool, clean room and bathrooms. No noise from kids and front staff desk was polite and nice. Check in was a breeze. plenty of parking on a holiday weekend. and from the past reviews about the security guard that were bad, I didnt have any issues I barely saw a security guy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachgrle1
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

June 2012,
This was our 3rd year back! I brought my daughter, son and daughter-in-law. We actually got the same room as last year! we loved it, clean rooms, courteous staff, the pool is emaculate! Of course the weather was great, rained a little, but still hot. My kids were very impressed, and ready to come back again!
( I noticed that the staff is always busy, cleaning walking around, smiling, making sure we are happy and the room is up to our expectations) I really appreciate that. Thank you!!

Room Tip: We always get the rooms on the second floor, but I think they are all fine.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pastalover777
Apalachin, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I visited Ocean City, MD the week of Sept 9, 2012. We were warmly welcomed by the owner who let us check in early without us even asking. The property is very well taken care of and clean. Quiet and relaxing. Other guests staing there were very friendly and have come back year after year. Pool and pool area always clean. Location was great. We walked the Boardwalk everyday. Could not have asked for a nicer place to stay. In walking distant to many restaurants and attractions. We were looking for a quiet place to stay and relax. We certainly found it.We'll definately choose to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda B
STATEN ISLAND, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my family’s first vacation to Ocean City, Maryland and might very well be the worst vacation ever. I knew going in that this motel was “older” and needed updating but was advised that it was clean and convenient and the price was too reasonable to believe. That should have been my first red flag. First off, the motel is not clean. Upon entering the room, I could tell that something was up when I entered the bathroom and it smelled so bad, like mold or something, I almost passed out because it was so contained in that small area. I had to clean everything myself with Clorox wipes before using anything. Everything in this hotel must be original from when it was built except the TV’s and the swimming pool. I would bet anything that our room was not cleaned after the prior customer checked out. Paper thin sheets and blankets (must be original since they opened), hairs everywhere on bedding and yellow and blood looking stains on bedding and pillows. Tiny, dirty bathroom, rusty hinges and faucets , moldy smell, tiny abrasive hand towels are supposed to be used as bath towels??, (we were 4 people, with 2 tiny hand towels). We had to use our own beach blankets as bath towels. Table and 2 chairs are right up against the bed, barely any room to get by. if you are overweight, you're in trouble. The pool was small, one of the men in the pool was in his street clothes. There is a list of rules on the gate of the pool area. It is interesting how the Empress Motel wants to impose rules on their customers but don't feel customers should impose any rules on them or have any expectations of them. To top it off, this motel should be renamed the Empress Old Age Home. Everyone around the pool was elderly and were not happy to see younger folks with children. They were not friendly, gave us dirty looks, and just stared us down at the pool as if we were on their turf. They were annoyed if my kids were having fun in the pool and gave a stern stare at that. This is a pool people, not a library. If you want to nap, go to your room. If you want to read, go to a library. Don’t expect people who paid to come on vacation to be quiet in a swimming pool, especially young children, remember that was once you. It's pretty bad when your children want to go home on vacation. WORD OF ADVICE, DON’T BRING CHILDREN HERE, THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY ESTABLISHMENT. SECOND, SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE; YOUR BUSINESS IS NOT APPRECIATED HERE. THEY DON’T TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR BUSINESS BECAUSE IF THEY DID THEY WOULD UPDATE AND CARE ABOUT PEOPLE (NOT JUST COLLECT MONEY TO LINE THEIR POCKETS). They actually gave Ocean City, Maryland a bad name in our eyes. Don’t know if we would ever visit OC again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank NYSTATEOFMIND777
Oneida, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been coming to OC throughout the years and have watched it become an extreme tourist attraction and prices have increased for everything including outrageously priced hotels! So when I saw Empress rated at the top of hotels in OC, I thought I'd give it a try--especially at $91/night and it turned out to be worth it. The reviews are accurate. I found it to be an older, yet clean motel. It doesn't have an elevator so be prepared if you have lots of luggage or problems doing stairs. Also, the mattresses are hard and covered with plastic. The A/C was great though and a welcome relief and it was so quiet at night and in the morning I never heard any noises. The pool is small and doesn't stay open late but it was still a nice relief from the heat. and about The location is also great being on 20th Street with mini-golf and Philips Seafood around the corner. Also rented bikes next door at Eden Roc for $6/hr. Even though it's not right on the boardwalk, if you get a corner room, they have a balcony that has view of ocean. Would definitely stay again for the value!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with a balcony for a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CandaceJoy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Decent old school hotel/motel for the cost. Nice folks working the desk, security and cleaning crew. A little noisy at times as its of older brick and wood construction. A lot of smokers outside during our stay made it difficult to sit on the balcony for long periods. Would recommend the owners create smoking zones away from rooms.

• Stayed August 2012