“The Empress Still Has It !”
Review of Empress Motel

Empress Motel
Ranked #61 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Cumberland, Maryland
“The Empress Still Has It !”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and her mom has stayed at the Empress for 25+ yrs, the last time being in 2006. Her mom passed away in May 2007 and she hadn't been back since. Her cousin Bob made our resrevations for Aug 21>Aug 25 this year and the Empress still has the cleanliness, the charm and just enough ammenities to make a vacation at O.C. memorable and enjoyable. The staff is friendly, the rooms and pool are very clean and the ammenities (frig,,t.v. and microwave are all you need although we did take a coffee pot for morning coffee. Within 50ft of the beach we will stay at the Empress as long as she stands and recommend her to everyone..Thanks for a nice vacation, Tom & Barb Lyons, Cumberland, MD

4 Thank Tom L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel hasn't changed much since I was a kid. The people are friendly, the place is clean, and its right off the boardwalk. Don't come here expecting the Ritz or any other large hotel chain. This has been run by the same group of people since I was little. The only change I've seen is the wifi I'm working off of now and the flat panels in the rooms! They keep the families in and the riff Raff out, just the way my wife and I like it.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank beckrich1712
PA
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I were looking to find a nice hotel at a decent price and we found it at the Empress. I had called some of the hotels we've stayed at before, only to find the prices ridiculous. I decided to check reviews on tripadvisor. The Empress had very good reviews so I decided to give it a try and I'm very glad that I did. It is in fact, one of the older motels, and we actually like them better than the new, huge chain hotels. The staff was extremely pleasant, the room was spotless, the pool was sparkling and the location was just terrific. And for almost $100 per night LESS than the hotel one block over, how can anyone not like that? This hotel suited our needs and we most definitely will return again.

2 Thank KL1974
Hedgesville, West Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Ocean City has gotten very expensive as far as motels. I have stayed at quite a few places here and the Empress has been the best all around. The rooms are not fancy but are very clean. Nice flat screen tv's as well as microwave and small fridge. The bathrooms are small but are very clean and also have blowdryers on the wall. I felt very comfortable staying here. It was a quiet,peaceful stay.
The only thing I think would make the motel a better place is if the pool stayed open longer. It closes at 7:00 pm every evening.

Room Tip: The hotel has 3 floors and no elevator so if you have problems with steps you may want to as k for 1...
3 Thank Bartles2
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2011

News flash to other travelers: the two and three story motels that you see from 30th street on down? They were built in the 50's and 60's. Most of them are family owned and not part of some huge chain that can afford to remodel every 5 years. So, if you're not OK with smaller, older-looking accommodations, don't stay at these places!
Rant over. We had a nice 4-night stay at the Empress. Prices were reasonable for the peak season. I went with my husband and his parents. It was a bit tight with 4 adults, but perfectly manageable. The TV was new LCD and got all of the usual cable channels. The bathroom was clean. The beds were fine. They are full, not queen sized. Housekeeping came everyday. Maintenance was also on-grounds everyday. The staff was very helpful. We couldn't find our car keys right before we were set to check-out. The staff helped us tear apart the room to search for the keys and let us keep our car there past check-out.
The only thing I didn't really like about the Empress was the low water pressure in the shower. I think they may be using low-flow shower heads. Overall, we had a great stay.

6 Thank Leonje
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Just got back lastnight from a wonderful trip to OC, staying at this quaint and quiet motel is just what I needed. From the staff in the office to the housecleaners and the gentleman that kept busy cleaning the pool and all of the chairs every morning.Somebody had swept thhe patio outside of every room. I was so impressed!
You can tell they all take pride in their work to ensure us to have a great time.!
I have been to many upperscale places in oc only to find they were dirty, they stunk and it just did not seem for all the money they wanted it was worth it. So, it was on the boardwalk, who cares for twice as much money and dirty, it's not my thing.
I will certainly be back again, I loved everything about it. Hope to make reservations next year there♥

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carla P
york, pa
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The motel is modest but clean. I've stayed here a few times and each time i found the rooms clean and well cared-for. This is not an upscale hotel but a decent place to stay while in Ocean City. The location is great. There are no streets to cross to get to the beach and the boardwalk. Although the property is a bit old, it is kept up nicely. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: there are no coffee makers in the rooms but you can bring your own.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends