Beach Plaza Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Harrison Hall(Ocean City)
Buckingham Hotel(Ocean City)
View Hotel
Beach Walk Hotel(Ocean City)
Americana Hotel(Ocean City)
View Hotel
All reviewsfront porchrocking chairspiano barpeople watchocean viewsenior weekplenty of parkingair conditionerefficiencyunitsmaryland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Absolutely the most filthy and unsanitary hotel I've ever stayed at. The moth ball stench is so brutal I have to hold my breath until I get in my room. Sand is everywhere, bathroom floors are black with dirt and hair all over it. Walls are so thin you can here the music the lobby is playing so don't even think of taking a nap. Staff unfriendly and woman at front desk mocked me for asking for a maid to clean the bathroom. Stay the hell away if you know what's good for you!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Michelle R
Caitlin E, Manager at Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not a pleasant experience. I wish you had contacted management during your stay so we could have addressed your concerns. The Beach Plaza prides itself on the friendliness of its staff and our attention to correct any problems.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Prior to booking this hotel I had read the very mixed reviews, now I will offer mine. I am a stickler for beautiful, clean and friendly hotels. The Beach Plaza has some very wonderful assets. I will list the pros and cons.
Pros- Location! Middle of the busy boardwalk it is located on a quiet stretch not far from the chaos but definitely far enough! Beachfront is not overly crowded, access is right in front of the hotel and beach chairs, lounges and umbrellas are available steps away. Parking was a breeze, close to the hotel and beach.

The hotel itself is a throw back to the old beach front hotels with Victorian chandeliers, a big porch overlooking the ocean and a piano in the old-time hotel's lobby. The old fashioned furnishings made it more charming for me than dated. I did not mind the actual keys or the very slow elevator.

The staff of the hotel take cleaning seriously. When I had a complaint it was attended to immediately so I give them kudos for how well kept the rooms and lobby was. The bed linens are crisp white duvet covers with many fluffy pillows. The staff at the front desk were very nice with Debbie making my reservations and offering me helpful hints in the area, to Brian who went out of his way for my family beyond what a hotel employee needed to for a family he did not know. Much thanks Brian, and lastly to Danelle who really cared how we liked our room and if we were comfortable. So what else could be said?

Cons- This is not a five star hotel. Maybe back in the day but not now. It's rooms show some significant wear and tear and the effects of the ocean's salt. (We had an ocean front room with an amazing view!) There was rust on the metal (grates, hinges, door jams) in the room and bubbles in the paint on the walls. At first glance I thought the room was dirty because of the worn appearance but it was not, it was very clean and freshly painted. The towels were thin and could be upgraded. The shower had mold which needs to be removed permanently and not just partially caulked over. But with that said, this is a BEACH HOTEL AND LOOKS LIKE A BEACH HOTEL. I loved that this was not modern and new as long as it was clean. I have stayed in many beach hotels and this was very nice. I have heard more complaints about the apartments than the hotel so separate them when planning your trip.

All in all, this WOULD definitely be a place I would return to with my family. It was a wonderful vacation! We also met a lot of really nice people staying there while on the porch.
(As a note specifically to the Canadian group who stayed in the apartments during our visit, your behavior on the porch was loud and crude. The porch is for the enjoyment of all, you offended everyone on the porch as evidenced by what was said when you all finally left.)

Room Tip: I loved the ocean front room, the view was amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your in depth review of the Beach Plaza. Our staff takes seriously your comfort and we try to remedy promptly any shortcomings. While we don't consider ourselves a 5 Star property, we try and treat our guests as if we are one.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I read many reviews and viewed as many photos as possible on various hotels in Ocean City, MD.

I eventually selected the Beach Plaza Hotel due to it's location and value. I wanted a place that could accommodate my small family of four (2 children under the age of 10), and thus had a separated room for them to sleep. I chose the Ocean Front Apartment (two-story white building to the right of the main hotel). I could have stayed at another family hotel up on 90th St for $200 less (for the whole weekend), but given that I figured we would spend most of our time on the boardwalk - so for the extra $200, I would rather go to a place where I would not have to do any extra driving (plus, being right in the middle of the boardwalk, we could walk to either end easily).

check-in was relatively easy. the staff was very courteous and helpful. each time we made a request, there was someone at our door in less than two minutes.

the hotel features a high-end Italian restaurant, Ice Cream parlor, bar, and a bike rental. so this is really a "resort" so to speak. they do offer free WiFi (although it was spotty much of the time, so I'm not sure if they throttle your data stream).

the two drawbacks were lack of pool and the condition of the hotel. the condition was fair at best (the linen sheets were clean and comfortable), but the air conditioner looked like it has been there since 1960. the bathroom had some issues, but it was usable. i think they have some newly renovated units, but I'm not sure if they were ocean front.

Overall, we had a very positive experience

I would certainly heavily consider going back again for our family vacation next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your comments about your stay at the Beach Plaza Hotel. Our location is ideal for beach goers and we are delighted that your family enjoyed its stay. Our first floor Efficiency apartments were renovated this past winter and the second floor is due for renovation this winter. So glad our staff provided courteous service during your stay.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed in the apartments of the beach plaza for four nights, no problems at all. Great service and a prime location if you like the boardwalk. Brass balls saloon is an awesome place for Breakfast and is close to the hotel. Hammerheads is THE spot on the boardwalk for fun. Will definitely be staying here again

• Stayed: August 2013
Caitlin E, General Manager at Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

The entire staff is delighted you enjoyed your recent stay in our 3 bedroom apartments. Our location makes for fun times in Ocean City and we hope your schedule will permit a return visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Do not stay here!! I repeat Do not stay here!!! The Housekeepers are a bunch of theifs. One of them stole my son psVita while we were on the beach. I reported it as soon i got back to the front desk. Brian( front desk clerk) said he would have the manager call me back. i never recieved a call. The next day i had to go and complain in person before the cops were called. They acted like it wasn't a big deal. Please do not leave anything out because it will disappear. I should have know from the time i checked in Debbie at the front desk had a serious attitute problem. We stayed for a week and had to call numberous time because the trash was never taken out, room was never vacuum, to get toilet paper but yet they had time to drop off the towels and stole his game..This was the worst experience i have had staying at any hotel!!!!! Very disappointed and sad that nothing was done, not even an apology from anyone.
Unsatified guest, you know who i am front desk!!!!!

Room Tip: !!!do not stay here, housekeeping are a bunch of theifs!!!!!"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

When you reported a missing electronic game we immediately called the police who came and interviewed you and your son. The capacity of your room is for 4 people. however, you had over 7 staying in the room which made cleaning the room extremely difficult.