“Nice Place To Stay At The Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cayman Suites

Cayman Suites
Ranked #20 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Place To Stay At The Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife, 17-month-old son and I stayed here for a 2-night getaway in August. Overall...it was a nice place to stay while in OC.

The staff was very friendly upon check in and during check out. When I made the reservation...only double bed rooms were left. I noted that if a king bed room became available...we would take that. I was happy to be told that we did get a king room when I checked in. We also requested...and were granted...and extra hour to check out.

The room itself was spacious as far as beach hotel rooms go. The separate living area was key for us. We needed a place to put our son to bed and still be able to stay up and watch TV or play games. So that worked out really well.

The bed was okay but the couch was one of the most uncomfortable couches I've ever sat on in my life. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be to sleep on the pull out bed. We made plenty of use of the fridge and microwave. We didn't use the burners or any of the pans, plates or utensils. We just got extra to go cups and plastic ware from restaurants we went to.

The bathroom was adequate. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided were fine for me. But my wife was not very happy with them. The shampoo and conditioner containers in the shower were empty when I took the first shower...but after I called they were quickly refilled even though it was 8pm. The water pressure is definitely pretty weak in the shower and sink.

The balcony overlooks Coastal Highway. That worked out well for us because our son loved to watch the cars drive by. We were on the fifth floor...so we could see some of the bay on the balcony and some of the ocean on the walkway outside our door. You could hear cars driving by...but for the most part the sound of the AC covered up most of the noise. I've read that the walls are paper thin. We never heard a sound from the room next to us. (The stairs were on the other side.)

We didn't use the pool. We went to the beach...it was a quick walk. Also...there is a hose to clean off your feet, chairs and baby (if applicable). It is on the 125th street entrance to the parking area.

I liked the location of the hotel. We drove down to the inlet and it didn't take too long. There are also numerous places to eat within walking distance: an Uber Bagels, the Blue Ox, Abbey Burger and Dumsers to name a few.

Overall...it was a good stay. The prices seemed fair to what I saw for other hotels. It wasn't the cleanest hotel...but it was pretty clean for a beach hotel. It was far from a dump...but I'm pretty certain that the Ritz-Carlton chain isn't looking at acquiring this property.

As I said...the staff was very friendly any time we interacted with them...which goes a long way. I give it a thumbs up if you're thinking about staying there.

MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us in such great detail. I am always stating that we aim to please and you verify that you got a king suite you requested and extra hour checkout! The extra hour checkout is the most difficult as many guests arrive long before 3 o'clock to check in, their suite has not been vacated and, therefore, not clean. We try to accommodate requests but it is not always possible.
Please come visit again and take a dip in the pool.
Mary Eastman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stay at this property July 31 - Aug 3. Upon checking in I noticed the front desk employee was not friendly at all. Just giving out instructions like I just didn't pay 700+ for 3 nights. Moving on, I was given room 207. We took our bags in and sat down for a bit. I took my 1 year old son's shoes off and almost instantly the bottom of his feet were black. I went to front desk and told the not so friendly older gentleman that my son's feet were black after walking across the carpet for only 5 minutes. He told me he would make a note of it. Well later that day, someone came to shampoo the carpet. The next morning as my sister was preparing breakfast, the stovetop kept giving out. She called the front desk and someone came up right away to check it and tell us that the element had gone bad. Took about 30 mins. for that to get fixed. Other than the carpets being filthy and the stove not working I guess the stay was ok. I just think they should try to keep the carpets a little bit cleaner. I mean I shouldn't have to subject my son or myself to such filth. I mean come on, if you are only a seasonal motel, I think you have plenty of time to get your property clean before you open for business. Oh yeah I almost forgot, someone pulled the fire alarm at 2:30am. I guess that was no fault of the hotel owners.

2 Thank ebonieboo68
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
The suite that you occupied is one that does have older carpet. However, the carpet was cleaned commercially at the beginning of the season and again for you, as you mentioned. Housekeepers regularly vacumn carpet to removed the sand, etc but it does not seem to help the tracking of the asphalt parking lot with wet feet. We are cautious in placing more mats in public areas because of possibility of someone tripping. I am open to ideas in caring for the new carpet. Hopefully, you will give us another chance and return next year with your 2 year old son.
Broomall, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Providing a welcome gift when we entered room was a nice touch-and tasty. Average room size-pull out bed was problematic but correctable. OC is not that wide so walk to beach is not bad-anywhere. We were close to good eating and shopping-far from boardwalk-so it depends on what you want. Driving in OC is brutal throughout day so plan wisely.

• Stayed July 2014
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Our website and brochure state that we are located Oceanside in north Ocean City. Thank you for letting prospective guests understand that the beach is a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel with no major streets to cross. And, most importantly, we are almost 100 blocks north of the boardwalk. The $3 per day Ocean City bus is a great way to get there or public parking is available if you drive. We do have affordable eateries and shopping in walking distance so I am glad you explored our neighborhood.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We had originally booked a room at a supposed upscale hotel. After arriving at our already booked hotel and discovering it was deplorable we needed to find somewhere else to stay. We called Cayman suites because we heard great reviews from a family member who was recently there. Staff were more than welcoming and eager to assist us. The hotel rooms are super clean and comfortable. Great views from a very large balcony. Very impressed with this hotel, will definitely be staying there next year!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Monk570
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you, thank you for visiting with us on your family member recommendation! Our prior guests are our greatest marketing representatives. We will be expecting you next year.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The carpet needs to be ripped off! Don't know what else was under it! We have to wear socks all the time and its just feel gross walking on it! The barhroom floor are filty. NO bathroom mat!!!!I will never come back to this hotel again!

2 Thank m0m0ftwins2014
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
As previously explained, most of our carpet was replaced in the spring of 2014. I customarily do not shampoo carpet before one season of use. The same company that installs new carpet, commercially cleans our carpets and sofas. Unfortunately, our recoated asphalt parking lot lends itself to being tracked into hotel lobby, elevator, etc. on guests' wet, sandy feet returning from the beach. Our floor mats in the public areas attempt to curb the problem. In addition, we have a carpet cleaning machine and, on occasion, if there is a spill or particular problem, we clean carpet immediately. Since you have chosen to address your dissatisfaction in this manner rather than let me know while you were at our hotel, I have to accept it and move on.
Fulton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel/motel before and when I called the 2nd time to confirm the package and price I had spoken to an older gentleman that I did not feel was very customer friendly so I had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised! Upon check-in the gentleman and lady at the front were extremely friendly. We wanted to check in early but were unable to however they offered to call us, told us about the facilities if we needed or wanted to while we waited. Once we go into the room, our package included a $50 gift card to one of 3 restaurants of our choice which was great! What we were not expecting was the $10 gift card to Dumsers and the kite. The room was very clean though very dated. Overall we were happy-the service as good, it was clean, close to the beach and would recommend the Cayman Suites.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank CJK_52
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
You experienced our "Summer Blast" package - $50 dinner certificate at choice of Blue Ox Restaurant across the street from us, Fager's Island, or Phillip's Crab House, $10 Dumser's gift card, and kite. We offer two, three, four, and five night packages and they all have a discounted rate and assorted goodies! We try to be customer friendly but, occasionally, with guests at the front desk checking in and out, we may be a little brief on the phone. The front desk clerk who takes your reservation on the phone is often the same clerk that checks you in!! We do hope you recommend us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Rooms need to be painted and the floors definitely need to be cleaned. Absolutely disgusting!! We had to walk around the room with our shoes on. Stinky Air freshener doesn't cover up the smell. At least the bathroom was clean.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank JoAnn W
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at our hotel. Our property is a 25 year old concrete structure, we continually upgrade our furnishings, and just completed renovations of all bathrooms this past winter. You are correct that some of the living areas in the suites are beginning to need fresh paint so we must be planning in the right direction for our winter renovations (also removing all wallpaper).
Most suites have new carpet - carpets are cleaned by a commercial cleaner on a regular basis. However, we recoated our black asphalt parking lot and guests with wet/sandy feet returning from the beach track it into their room. We place floor mats at the hotel entrance, exiting the elevator, and on walkways to assist with foot traffic.
When I have the opportunity to address guest complaints, I do try to offer a change of room. We aim to please everyone but it is not always possible.