“They treat You Like Royalty”

Castle in the Sand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 9, 2006

June 2006

I was pleasantly surprised with the Castle In the Sand Hotel. I try to stay in the "big" name hotels where ever I go any place but choose this small hotel because it was right on the beach (they have a bay side too) and it was very affordable - under $300 a night which for the view we had - was awesome.

I made the reservation on line - but called with a few requests - and they honored all of them , i.e. no smoking, second floor, ocean side, small efficiency room, extra pillows, etc. It was very inviting from the moment I pulled up to the lobby. Very nice "castle like" decor - about 10 blocks off the boardwalk which is the perfect location. WE did not want to stay on the boardwalk due to noise but we also wanted to be close enough to the action. The trolley runs up and down the main strip and for $2.00 you can ride all day back and forth! Lots of great restaurants too and many within walking distance.

I was impressed the the cleanliness of the grounds, the rooms, the hallways, etc. The people working there were pleasant and there always seemed to be someone sweeping, or cleaning, or working to keep the place looking nice.

They also had 2 restaurants - an outside one with music and a bar..food very good right on the beach. the kids were in the sand a few feet away playing volley ball and we wer having lunch watching them. And then they have a restaurant with buffet breakfast and buffet dinner. Very reasonable too. Food very good.

There were kids activities each day, a wonderful pool, and everything was just a short walk - from the pool to the restaurant, to the beach, back to the room, etc..

They also have a secure parking lot.

It was also very quiet at night and the efficiency - however small - was perfect to make the kids something quick to eat, coffee in the morning, popcorn for them at night, etc. We had a lovely balcony which overlooked the ocean!

I absolutely would stay there again - and look forward to it.

20  Thank Theresa05985

West Virginia
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We stayed at the Castle in the Sand Waverly Castle the last week of June. I was very happy with how clean the room was, the maid came daily and cleaned the rooms and they were constantly cleaning/mopping the halls and stairwells to get rid of the sand people brought up from the beach. Much different than other beach hotels I stayed at. The section of the hotel we stayed at was very quiet, and it was not high up (only 5 floors) so there was not a long wait for the elevator and it was easy to take the steps.

There was plenty of parking, which they gave you a gate pass to get into the lot so they did not have other people not staying there filling up all the spots. The beach was pretty and there was limited beach partying going on at night. The pool was nice too, and my kids enjoyed it.

The only thing I wish was different was the size of the refrigerator, I would have prefered a full size one instead of the "under the counter" one, because it was impossible to keep icecream cold. I like to cook to help save money, and it was hard with such a small fridge. (But this stated when I reserved the room, so it was not a fault of the hotel.).

We enjoyed our stay and the kids were sad that we had to come back home!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My family and I just got back from our 4th annual 4th of July trip to Ocean City, and as always we stayed at Castle in the Sand. This is one of the most fun places we visit, and we absolutely love this hotel. Great location, great restaurants, the ybring you drinks on the beach, awesome pool, very kid-friendly, and the staff is awesome. We recommend this hotel to all of our friends, and this year we brought two other couples with us.

Thanks again Castle in the Sand! We had a great time, as always.

Norm Laudermilch

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank norm911
Towson, MD
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We had an ocenfront efficiency, non-smoking. The view of the ocean, beach w/ dunes and grasses was a welcome sight; balcony w/ privacy on either side made sitting out enjoyable. All needed ammenities were tucked away in small kitchen, right down to the bottle opener; plenty of fresh linens in the ample bathroom. Within walking distance were a great crab house (Higgins') a good deli and liquor store (Anthony's) and just ten blocks away the famous O.C. boardwalk. Umbrellas on the beach at a reasonable price. We didn't use the pool so no comment there. No missing the World Cup soccer games given we had cable TV. All-in-all a very enjoyable stay - we'll be back!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2006

We stayed at this hotel based on reviews. There was some good some bad. First the bad the outdoor pool is NOT heated. It was to cold for my kids to get in. Also there were a large number of young people not controlled. The management said they had talked with them making noise at night but they wouldn't listen. I did not get much sleep. Between the noise, door slamming, loud talking, and them waking my children, it was not a fun night. Maybe it was the time of year but I've stayed in OC before at this time and didn't have as much of a problem. Now for the good. The check in is awesome. The people are nice, fast, and even let us know when the room was ready early. They told us to use the hotel amenities until the room was ready. The beach is only a few steps away with easy access. If you need anything towels, etc. they get it right away. When I did complain about the noise the person listened said they would talk to the teenagers again and would try to fix the problem. If it were not for the uncontrolled young people it would have been a very nice place.

14  Thank bjh12344
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My brother, his wife, my husband, and I went to Ocean City, MD for a vacation. It was his first vacation in a long time. The hotel was really great, clean, and reasonablely priced. When we got there, we decided to stay an extra day and that did not pose any problems. We had a really great time.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2006

My wife and I, along with our 3 young children ages 6, 4, and 17 months, just returned from the family-friendly Castle in the Sand, having stayed there over the Memorial Day Weekend. I did not know what to expect as we have always rented a house in Bethany in the summer and this was our first time booking a hotel in Ocean City. I discovered an internet deal for the Memorial Day Weekend that seemed too good to be true...3 days/2 nights for $260 in a 1 bedroom cottage/apartment. I can safely say that our experience at the Castle exceeded my expectations. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly and knowledgable front desk person who had us registered and ready to go to our apartment in under 3 minutes. There was plenty of parking in front and behind the cottage. The place was very clean and homey, and we had a very nice kitchen complete with large refrigerator, coffee maker, dishes, and silverware. We saved money by being able to prepare some meals in our kitchen. The kids were very happy to have a full selection of cable TV offerings and a VCR. The shower was always hot and stayed hot. I appreciated how fast we were provided with additional towels and blankets once we called the front desk. The staff really emphasized customer satisfaction. The hotel offered a very delicious breakfast buffet that was very reasonably priced...2 of our kids ate free. The hotel sits directly on the beach and there is always activity there including volleyball and socializing with direct access to the beach. The pool area was very neat and clean and our children made fast friends with some other children staying there. The hotel is located just 10 blocks from the end of the boardwalk and a few blocks from a great putt putt golf center. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value and very good hospitality. We have already booked for next year.

9  Thank culturevulture2008