Castle in the Sand Hotel
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$139
$161
ClarionHotels
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$199
$179
$180
$162
Holiday Inn Express Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$119
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$109
$391
$150
Princess Royale Resort(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$219
Travelocity
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$325
All reviewsdiving boardwaverly castlecoconuts bar and grillthe cottagesbeach servicebreakfast buffetbeach barocean frontlive entertainmenthuge poolfirst floorceiling fanfull kitchenconvention centeroff seasoncoffee makeroceanfront room
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I've been coming to OCMD my entire life. Literally - my grandparents bought a condo at Sovereign Seas when my mom was pregnant with me (right across the street from Castle) and I've never missed a summer in OCMD. Usually I stay at their place, but I had a group of 6 friends and didn't want to impose on my grandparents. I've become familiar with the Castle as it can be seen from their balcony and always looks so fun. I've spent many afternoons at Coconuts and I've even stayed there before. I love the "theme" they have.

Everything was pretty good for our stay from Friday - Sunday. Here are some pro/cons.

PROS:
- Amazing view. We stayed in the Oceanfront North Suites.
- Big room. We had a bedroom with two queen beds, a full kitchen area, and a living room with a pull out couch. There was plenty of room for all 6 of us.
- Friendly staff. I asked to check in early and although my room wasn't ready they took my cell number and called when it was. We were able to check in at 2pm instead of 3pm. I also locked my keys in my car when I went to the beach while waiting to check in and they were helpful through that. Basically, very pleasant and fast service.
- Coconuts is always so fun. It's the only block of the beach where you can indulge in some alcoholic beverages - if that's your thing. You can either walk up to the bar or have one of the cute waitresses deliver you food/beverages. We had some drinks and a chicken bacon pepper jack wrap while waiting for our room. Delicious.
- Pool. We didn't have a chance to go in but it's really nice. Not many hotels in OCMD have pools because of how close they are, so this is a nice add-on.
- LOCATION. This is the perfect area for a group or even families looking to be surrounded by a lot to do. You aren't too close to the boardwalk, but you're close enough. I think it's the best street in all of OCMD.

CONS:
- It was NOT as clean as it should've been. My group is mid 20s and we wanted a weekend of drinking and relaxing. We don't expect anything 5 stars or super fancy and spot-free. However, we paid $900 for only two nights, our room should've been cleaner. There were stains everywhere and I only showered once because the bathroom really grossed me out. There was hair in our drain when we arrived. I felt as though the bedding was more gross than a normal hotel. It wasn't enough to deter us, but I was disappointed that we put out so much money and couldn't receive a nicer room. It was also pretty out-dated but I know they just updated the Waverly towers, so maybe the North Towers will be next. I will say - I stayed here two years ago (a group again) and I don't recall it being as gross but it was only for one night.

All in all, I'd probably stay at the Castle again. You can't beat the location and overall it's nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Courtney S
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thanks for the review and thank you for pointing out some good things as well as areas that needed improvement during your stay. We are sorry if you felt the bathroom was not clean enough. We would have been happy to re-clean anything and everything. We apologize for your inconvenience. We are happy that you would return to us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My fiance stays at this hotel every year for the car show in May. This is my second time that I have stayed there. Our stay was very pleasant with a few exceptions, the people above and below us were very noisy and there was a lot of banging and at one point I was worried someone was going to come crashing through the floor. I know it's not something management has control over and I don't think it should effect the rating. The views from the back were absolutely amazing, I loved waking up in the morning and sitting out back enjoying my coffee while looking at the ocean. The staff was very friendly and took care of anything that we needed. Everything in the room was clean, the updates to the kitchen were very nice, the bathrooms are still a little dated and could use a makeover, there were some water marks/stains on the ceiling but it wasn't a huge issue nor enough to reduce the rating. We will continue to stay at this hotel every year for the car show.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom level don't have a good view of the ocean due to the sand dunes, so if you want a good view make sure you are up on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We have been doing extensive upgrading the past few years and hope to continue renovations to make your stay more comfortable. We are happy you want to stay with us again! Thank You.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My Husband and I stayed on May 26-30th for Our honeymoon. We wanted to go some where Eles after we got married, but we paid for our own wedding, so we decided to stay closer to home , that fit in our budget. To our surprise It was really lovely! Upon our arrival the staff and management made us feel a warm welcome. We were taken by the Beautiful view from our balcony. I was pleased to see how clean everything was. Then the management sent a bottle of wine to our room! What a classy thing to do! That made me and my husband feel like we made the right choice. Our whole experience there was so nice. The Staff and management could not be friendlier:) We loved it so much, We are coming back in July!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear sammy7039,
Thank you so much for the great review and congratulations on your wedding. It was our pleasure to include some wine to help you celebrate. The Castle is a great place for newlyweds. We are happy you enjoyed the views and your stay. Please come back and see us again soon.
Bob Borello, GM

Reviewed May 29, 2014

It was a fantastic visit to Ocean City for the few hot days in May. I was lucky to stay in the Waverley castle, in the ocean view room. Few days were worth a month of vacation. Quiet, clean room and hallways, friendly staff. Ocean, sand, fresh air, view from the balcony - a package beyond expectation!
Thank you for your hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SvetaFromPotomac
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thanks so much for your kind words. We did many improvements to our Waverley Building this year. We added new furniture as well as new bedding. We are happy you enjoyed it. Please come back and see us again soon.
Bob Borello, General Manager

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went to the beach without a reservation and stopped at this neat place. Was shown a very nice room over looking the ocean and we were sold. Gave us a great price and we stayed for 2 nights and had a great time. The Coconuts outdoor bar was not open yet but looked like it would be very inviting. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms seem very nice but loved the rooms overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gmac1800
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thanks so much for the kind words. We are so happy you found us and enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us during Coconuts season! We know you will enjoy the cool drinks, live music and great food as a compliment to your room. Thanks again, we look forward to your next visit.
Bob Borello, General Manager