“Coconuts Beach Bar and Grill”

Castle in the Sand Hotel
Ranked #24 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and few friends stopped in to see the live band Sunday starting at 4. I stayed at Castle in the Sand this past March but this was the first time I’ve been to Coconuts since the outside bar wasn’t opened in March. We made it in time for the fastest happy hour in OC, 2 for 1 drinks!! We gabbed a table around 6. It was a great experience and the server was great! We ordered the crab salad and the jerk chicken wrap. Both outstanding along with a few orange crushes of course. We’ll be back for sure.

Room Tip: My experience this past March was good as well. See my other review if interested to know about the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a room in the Waverley Place building on the first floor. You can't see the ocean from there but we knew that when we booked it. It was nice for my two boys to be able to play in the sand in front of the room. There are lawn chairs that you can sit on out in front of your room and there are some palm trees for shade if you want. My parents stayed on the third floor of the North Suite but they said the heat from the air conditioner blowing on their balcony made it too hot to sit out on theirs. Their was hot air coming out on our balcony too but at least we were able to sit out away from it being on the first floor. The room was clean and the cleaning crew was friendly. I also liked that we had a roll out couch along with our two queen size beds so that my 9 year old could have a bed to himself. There was a band that would play during the day at their bar and grill but we were always at the beach during that time. On Saturday night they had a nice raggae band playing while we ate dinner. For the price of the room per night I personally would check into some other hotels to see if I could find something a little cheaper. They do have condo rooms behind the main hotel that are not ocean front that are cheaper and might be worth a try. The only reason we booked at this resort was because my sister got married on the beach and my whole family was staying at this resort. I am not into the bar seen and that seemed to be some of the focus at this resort. I was happy to know that I could still be away from the action with my two kids with us though. There is a big pool with a diving board and there are kids activities during happy hour at the bar in the afternoon but we did not take part in them, too busy swimming in the waves.

2  Thank lovesgetaways32
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just got back from a weekend stay with my hubby, daughter-in-law, and my 5yr. old grandson at the castle in the sand and it was a very nice and very clean hotel. When we got there are room was not ready yet because it was only 10:00 am but they took our cell # and said to enjoy the pool and beach and they would call us as soon as the room was ready. Our room was ready by 11:30 and we able to check into our room. We stayed in one of the castle north suites on the second floor oceanfront and it was very nice. We had a bedroom with 2 queen beds and a flat screen tv, a nice size bathroom with a tub and shower combination, a nice kitchen with a full size refrig., a stove, microwave, coffeemaker, dishes, glasses, utensils, ect. a nice table and chairs, livingroom with a big desk, sofa that opened up to gueen size bed flat screen tv and a nice balcony with a table and chairs and a nice view of the ocean. We had lunch at the coconuts beach bar and grill and the food was good.Had some ice cream at their take a dip ice cream shop and it was pretty good(ben&jerrys). They had a little beach area next to the beach bar and grill with beach loungers and you could just relax there if you did not want to go down on the beach. the pool was really nice and big with a diving board(my grandson loved going off the diving board). They had entertainment in the afternoon and evenings at the beach bar and grill. Oh! they had waitress service at the beach and the pool and they would bring your food and drinks right to you(nice touch). We had a good time at this hotel and we would stay here again(wish we could have stayed longer it just goes to fast!)

Room Tip: Castle north suites on the 2nd or 3rd floors have a nice ocean view.
1  Thank DeeDeeDowningtownPA
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When trying to plan a last-minute (weeknight) overnight stay in Ocean City, I scoured review after review for open hotels and motels up and down the beach. I was growing anxious after reading the many mixed reviews ranging from mold jumping into bed with you at night to rooms that were clean, but cost an arm and a leg. After reading conflicting reviews of various hotels for a few hours, I wasn't sure this overnight stay was worth the stress it was causing.

Thankfully, this overnight stay in the Waverly Castle (5th floor, ocean facing), was nothing short of wonderful. Check-in was a breeze, our room was neat and clean, and the amenities were plentiful for what we needed (soap, shampoo, fridge, microwave, drying rack). This unit also had a little kitchenette that was a pleasant surprise. A hearty thank you to all the TripAdvisor reviewers who helped me choose this location (and who inspired my first-ever review).

We did learn that there are three buildings that are part of this complex. All three are wonderfully near the beach (a short walk through the sand dunes), but they also have different proximity to other amenities. One is near the pool, another near the restaurant and bar, Coconuts, and the third a little more away from the aforementioned (Waverly Castle). As two adults who were enjoying a last-minute romantic getaway, our building was perfect (away from kids at the pool and guests enjoying food and drink at Coconuts).

The view was amazing, the staff was exceptional with check-in / check-out and general help (they turned us onto the Beach Bus to get to the boardwalk [$1/way per person]), and the room was not only "not scary," but very clean and allowed us to relax and enjoy our mini-vacation.

The short of the long: we wanted a basic hotel that was clean, close to the beach, and would not require us to give up a life or limb. Castle in the Sand (Waverly Castle specifically) met our needs and allowed us to enjoy our getaway. We look forward to returning (to our same room if possible!).

Room Tip: Waverly Castle seems to be a tad quieter (away from Pool and Coconuts). Oceanfront rooms that are o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xpuctr
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Researched a lot of hotels that had beach access and Castle in the Sand had good reviews, decent price and not right on boardwalk. But we thought the building we were in was very outdated. Our room was clean and being on the 3rd floor was high enough to be above the sand dunes with a nice ocean view. The restaurant for breakfast was in the basement of another building where housekeeping staff was coming and going. I also thought the $10 key deposit for real room keys was ridiculous. Maybe they should consider updating to key cards instead. And I also overheard in lobby that someone in a "suite" had a charge of $15 for use of a microwave that she wasn't aware of so beware of hidden charges.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank suzieboop
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our last trip will be memorable for many reasons. During our vacation in July 2012 my huband fell and broke his hip. The hotel staff and many friends could not have been more helpful and loving. This could have been quite the nightmare if it had not been for all the love and support we received from our Castle In The Sand family. The office staff of Andre, Sue Ann, Brent, Jack and many more were there to welcome me when I would return back to my room from 10 hour days with my husband at Atlantic General Hospital. The bar/wait staff always a hug every evening and best wishes for us. The maintenace and housekeeping always asking how my husband was. Vacationeers think I am part of Castles because of all the friends we have. I want to mention each and everyone of you but there is not enough comment line for that so I won't want to leave anyone out. Adam, thank you for your amazing staff and your friendship. Phil is still in the hospital in Frederick, MD but I suspect he will be released into rehab very soon. My love to you all and especially to Matt, Allen, Karen, Katie, Olivia, Brandi, Chloe, Jeff, Sue Ann, Brent, Jack, Andre, Patricia my wonderful housekeeper Doris. To Jim: you are the most amazing person and you helped me so much and I will thank you forever. Can you tell I love this place and the people. Best Hotel in OC - hell on the East Coast. Hugs. Helen

Room Tip: All rooms are great - if you want a view of the ocean anything above 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BabyHelen
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The staff at this hotel always tries to accomodate when things are not up to par. The internet issue needs to be addressed. I had a terrible time connecting in our room in Castle North. I complained numerous times and each time someone would try to fix it. It would work for awhile and then nothing. I had better luck with a public wifi on the beach. Other than that, the mold on the porch was cleaned ASAP. There were new kitchen cabinets, counter and new sofa. Bathroom is still old and outdated but at least it was clean. I had family in the cottages and it is so old and outdated. The shower doors where pretty disgusting but someone came right away and cleaned them. Coconuts is still the best thing about this hotel. And the beach!!! We have friends that stay elsewhere now come to 38th street to use the beach and bar. We pay the price that we do because of the beautiful view but the hotel should be updated more regularly.

Room Tip: Castle North 3rd floor has rooms with a view and terrace as does Waverly.
2  Thank jett456